A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler with autism  (Read 1969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolaforpresident
« on: August 16, 2011 07:31:43 PM »

My two year old son was recently diagnosed with autism and I want to craft something for him. His birthday is in November so maybe it could be a present. I have read some books but i still don't know what to make. I am a decent knitter, I can follow a crochet pattern and not very good at sewing but have a machine so I can try to work something out. I don't have all of the time in the world either, or a lot of money, but I want to keep my hands busy. He likes things that go round and round, like cars and fans. He is barely verbal but he is very musical.

Any ideas? Extra points given for something that helps him learn social stuff.

Sorry this is kind of a self serving post in the charity section. If there is a better place to put just let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkiequeen
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011 11:39:50 AM »

have you thought about some knitted or crochet blocks, They would be soft and he could stack them and knock them over kids love that Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolaforpresident
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011 07:59:27 PM »

That's a good idea. I will try to make some. I have been working on a small bag to keep trinkets and treats in, but I like the block idea better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrmisha
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"I always wanted to use that spell"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011 11:11:53 AM »

Keep in mind that most things will go in mouth, so nothing toxic (be aware of paints). You might want to make a puzzle with big wooden pieces and big knobs on the top so they can easily be placed. I modified existing puzzles to do this. Made them more simple and easier to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sonic joy
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011 09:22:22 PM »

A homemade book?  You could knit/sew it, and it could have things like pom poms, shiny materials, crunchy things, etc.  My mom made one of those for me and I could not get enough of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011 08:34:17 AM »

This is probably to late, but maybe useful for the future.  But for (some) kids with autism, weighted blankets are great!  I'm not totally sure how or what they're made with but they are kind of quilted with some sort of beads in between the layers.  I work at a camp for people with special needs and one of my campers had one.  It was really cool and helped her calm down to go to sleep...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stepdancer4life
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011 04:52:11 PM »

Again, too late for his birthday, but maybe for another present.. 

-Homemade musical instruments (some sort of maracca to shake, drum)
-Weighted blankets or animal buddies (weighted snakes are just a tube with a face)
-A body sock out of very stretchy material  (Basically two  rectangles sewn together about the child's height, with a slit down the middle & a velcro closure...search body sox)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolaforpresident
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011 11:21:19 AM »

Those are great ideas. Thanks.

His PT recommended weighted stuff as well because he is a sensory seeker. I will make him a weighted lap belt for Christmas. Also, I love the snake and all of the other ideas. Maybe a lap book as well. If only I could just be done with finals already so I could get started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011 01:04:26 PM »

What about some sort of beanbag toss game?  You could weight the beanbags different weights, or with different "stuffing" for a different sensory experience; not to mention using different colored fabrics/different textured fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs Shak
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011 09:34:24 AM »

I made a fabric book for a friend of mine years ago when her son was 2 (and autistic). I printed pictures of family members (on seperete pages), their house, the park they usually went to, church and a few other things I can't think of right now onto muslin. His picture was on the cover. I filled the pages with poly-fil to make it soft. I don't have a picture of it, but you can either search for directions for how to make them or pm me and I can walk you through it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

I need a skein (two would be great) of Knit Picks Gloss Bare sock weight to finish a shawl.

My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Red Velvet Cheesecake Recipe
Crispy Chocolate Hearts Recipe
Corn on the Cob Cupcakes Recipe
How to Make a Traditional Pumpkin Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...