A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Go go Spiderman and Mario T-Shirts!  (Read 2857 times)
Tags for this thread: spiderman , multi_layer_stencil , mario , video_game , cartoon_character , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 14, 2011 06:21:20 PM »

It was my nephew's 6th birthday party today.  Along w/ a cake, I also made him two shirts w/ a couple of his favorite subjects on them.  I did the freezer paper method of stenciling.  The first that I made was Spiderman, using a pictures I found on the interwebs. 

I unfortunately didn't take any progress shots of this one.  I did three layers of stenciling.  I did the red first, then blue, then black.  I added in the details (including all the spiderwebs) by hand w/ a paint brush. 

I did, thankfully, get progress shots of the Mario shirt.  For the Mario shirt, I had Mario coming out of a warp pipe from the bottom of the shirt.  I, again, found my images online.
I started w/ the pipe.

So the first layer was regular green and the second layer of stenciling was a lighter green for shading.

Here is what it looked like w/ the two colors.

Next I put on the black outlines.  Afterwards, I cleaned it up a bit w/ the stenciling.  The layers get a little messy when they are applied on top of each other, but they are easily fixed.

Next was mario!  I didn't really have a clear way of adding the layers.  I kinda just cut out the layers as I thought fit, and not in certain blocks of colors like I normally do. 

I started out w/ Mario's hat, boots, mustache and side burn.  Next was the white on his hat, his top white glove, overalls, and the soles of his boots.

Then I added his mouth, shirt, and buttons.  The next layer was the M on his hat, his skin, and the bottom glove. 

I then did a stencil for the thick layer of black that went all the way around Mario, and I didn't take a picture of that step.  Afterwards, I added the rest of the black details on Mario's body by hand and cleaned up any of the areas that needed cleaning up.

TADA!  Mario shirt!  (yes, I did hum the Mario theme song to myself as I made this.)

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
yzag
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011 06:31:54 PM »

Really really great. What kind of paint I want to try this. Was the freezwe paper like wax or butcher paper? I love this. Must expand my crafty mind. LOL Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Whistley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Adventure is out there!

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011 06:54:11 PM »

These are amazing! I am scared to try freezer paper stencilling but these are so neat I may just have to try. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Cwafting. Cwafting is wot bwings us togevvah today.
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011 07:48:27 PM »

Mario. Shirt. !!! I'm in love Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
yoopidou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011 07:57:31 PM »

You mastered the art of paper stencil How do you achieve lines so clearly defined?
Lucky nephew. Maybe you would adopt me as your niece, aunty, grandma, whatever...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011 07:18:08 AM »

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Really really great. What kind of paint I want to try this. Was the freezwe paper like wax or butcher paper? I love this. Must expand my crafty mind. LOL Grin

I used fabric paint and a foamy brush/foundation sponge/regular sponge to apply the paint.  Freezer paper is a combination of butcher paper and wax paper.  Its something of its own.  You can find it in the same area as the wax paper and parchment paper.  It has a waxy side on only one side, and when you cut our your design you leave the waxy side down and then iron it onto your shirt after you cut our your design.

These are amazing! I am scared to try freezer paper stencilling but these are so neat I may just have to try. Well done!

I was scared to try it, too.  This is only my 5th and 6th time at it, and i found it an amazingly fun and easy way to do it.  Try a simply design to start off with.

You mastered the art of paper stencil How do you achieve lines so clearly defined?
Lucky nephew. Maybe you would adopt me as your niece, aunty, grandma, whatever...
After the stenciling I usually clean up anything with a regular small fine tipped brush.  I fill in here and there to make the lines look nicer.  I freehanded the lines inside of Mario, and all the small lines around and in Spiderman.  I find its easier that way then having to iron on a million little pieces and with all the color the paint might bleed anyway.  This way is easier and cleaner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Dutchie82
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011 08:07:43 AM »

Wow,those shirts look amazing! Kudos to you! Grin

I've done some stencils myself with spraypaint,not on fabric though just canvas. Unfortunately freezer paper,as far as I know,isn't for sale in over here in The Netherlands Sad...but I'll think I'm gonna buy some from ebay.
Anyway...I was wondering how you got the layers lined up so well? Do you have a technique for that?
Also what brand of fabric paint do you use?...do you thin it with water or just apply it as it comes straight out of the bottle? Would regular acrylics+textile medium work too (also on the long term)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011 09:04:55 AM »

Wow,those shirts look amazing! Kudos to you! Grin

I've done some stencils myself with spraypaint,not on fabric though just canvas. Unfortunately freezer paper,as far as I know,isn't for sale in over here in The Netherlands Sad...but I'll think I'm gonna buy some from ebay.
Anyway...I was wondering how you got the layers lined up so well? Do you have a technique for that?
Also what brand of fabric paint do you use?...do you thin it with water or just apply it as it comes straight out of the bottle? Would regular acrylics+textile medium work too (also on the long term)?

Thanks!

I don't really have a method for lining up the layers.  I just try my best!  And besides, if you don't get it exact, its not too big of a deal, because you can always go and clean it up at the end.  Fill in where ever it needs filling in and whatnot.

I use Tulip Soft Fabric Paint.  I don't water it down or anything, I generally just squirt some onto a paper plate and dab it on with a little sponge that you use to put makeup on (those triangle ones for foundation).  I haven't used the acrylics and the textile medium yet, though I do have some that I've been meaning to play around with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Dutchie82
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011 01:15:36 PM »

Thanks! Well then you did a really good job with lining up on a hunch;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011 02:17:05 PM »

Thanks! Well then you did a really good job with lining up on a hunch;)

lol, thanks!  ^_^  You can see through the freezer paper a little, but I just do a little wiggling to try to get it perfect before I iron it.  You can get pretty good control w/ freezer paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 3/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 5/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 2/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 15/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 6/16
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...