A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UPDATED! Easy and Beautiful Green Sparkle Shoes!!! -With TUTORIAL -Many Pics  (Read 48287 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , bridesmaid , glitter , sparkle , tutorial , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LunarPowered

Crafty, Culture-Conscious, Creature-loving Cowgirl

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2011 02:57:01 PM »

We finally got some photos back so you can see all the shoes we made!

So I am a bridesmaid for my future sister in law this year. I shall call her "K" for the purpose of this post. We have brown dresses and she had the great idea that we should all wear different colour jewel tone shoes. I searched and found a pair of green sparkle shoes online but the heel was too high to be worn out in the field for the wedding. She and I are both quite crafty and she found an example of DIY sparkle shoes at www.weddingbee.com. After further web research we decided to tackle the project!

We all went out to the lake for a week so we worked on the shoes out there and I have to say that our families were VERY skeptical on how this would turn out......so it begins.....

Supplies:

Shoes - I bought mine, K used ones she had. Both were black (faux) leather. I recommend at least the toe should be un-embellished. K's had a strap across the toe (see photos) and the end was a less polished look.

Glitter-I went to Michaels and there were sparkles in kids crafts, and lots in scrapbooking. I actually combined an emerald green and pale green to get the colour that I want. A little bottle did one full pair of shoes.
      TIP- SEARCH the store! There was glitter in THREE diffrent areas and ranged in price.

Paper plates, newspaper, foam brushes, Fabric Glue, Mod Podge, Spray Acrylic Finish from the hardware store

FYI: The Spray Acrylic is NOT in the photo below and K did remove the chain of course from hers

Steps:
1. Get your shoes and other supplies. Set up OUTSIDE as you will get glitter everywhere. Remember not to do this on a windy day. Spread newspaper below your area to catch excess sparkles and stuff your shoe with newspaper to protect the inside.

I had to add a picture of the blessed surroundings where we conducted this project Smiley

2. Decide if you will sparkle the heel or leave it the original look. We left all our heels black and I did not cover them but for the next pair I will likely tape off the entire heel for the duration. Sand down all parts that you will be glittering. My darling brother helped and I venture to say you cannot oversand.

3. Liberally apply fabric glue followed by sparkles one section at a time. We used our fingers for the glue as it was quite sticky. Then we used a shaker for the sparkles. Remember to have something under to capture excess sparkles
TIP: Don't try making the glue flat but just avoid huge bumps in it as you apply. When you are done this coat you can tap off some of the excess sparkles.

4. Grab a snack, wine, or take a nap while this dries! You can see in the photo below that there are still some dark spots. Not to worry...

5. Get back to work! Take your foam brush and dab on mod podge. If you brush it on the texture will demolish your brush. The mod podge takes longer than the fabric glue to dry so you can do bigger sections at a time. Sprinkle on more glitter.

Again knock off the excess then let dry. In this photo you can see the difference between the first and second coat. You can certainly do a third coat if you feel it is needed.

FINNISHING:

As this was my first try, I tried various ways of finishing to ensure I am not leaving sparkles behind but the shine stays. I did a "clear" varnish first but it made the shoe milky. It was pretty but not what I wanted. I tried mod podge but it didnt prevent the glitter from coming off too much. THEN I FOUND IT! I went to the hardward paint section and bought a clear acrylic spray. I tried both gloss and satin and it didnt make a difference to the result. Ive done 3 coats so far and am not losing any sparkles!

SUCCESS!

So we are doing different colours for the other bridesmaids so I will update this at the end of September Smiley

I love them so much I wear them around the house sometimes. And I WILL be making more in other colours for myself.

Feel free  to ask me any questions you have.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011 12:52:09 PM by LunarPowered » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Loves: Grandmother Moon, Pretty, Dragons, Water, Weather, Plants, My Handsome Cat, Life, and Sugar Skulls....ok and Star Trek TNG Smiley~
ivoryh1632
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011 03:08:35 PM »

Oooooohhhhh preeeetty.......They look awsome. I keep wanting to do that to some sneakers so I can have ruby red converses, but I haven't been brave enough yet. Can't wait to see the rest of the shoes when they're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raennn
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011 04:13:42 PM »

LOVE this, and what a great idea for bridesmaids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is confusing, just when you think it's over it throws you a view like this and you don't know where you are.
- Evy in Driving Lessons
imafundork
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011 04:15:19 PM »

AWESOME!  I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding next spring and I'm suposed to have silver shoes.  I think I'm going to give this a try!  Thank you so much for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
MoonlitSun
Never stop believing. Stars never do.

We all need a little magic in our lives.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011 10:52:49 AM »

This is so cool!
Definitely hit THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a CHOCAHOLIC! Dare eat chocolate in front of me! xD
My Pinterest ^_^

Yay for personal swaps! Message me anytime ^_^
Currently looking for aida cloths! 14 or 20 count, or anything you can part with!
LunarPowered

Crafty, Culture-Conscious, Creature-loving Cowgirl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011 01:30:11 PM »

Wow! Thank you MoonlitSun! I think that is my first "this rocks" Smiley Smiley Smiley We get the photos of all the shoes together in a few weeks. As soon as I get them I will post them.

We did find that some of our shoes cracked. Mine got one little crack in the side but the ones that we did NOT use fabric glue on as the base really cracked so dont skip that step!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Loves: Grandmother Moon, Pretty, Dragons, Water, Weather, Plants, My Handsome Cat, Life, and Sugar Skulls....ok and Star Trek TNG Smiley~
lidehtium
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011 02:38:35 PM »

Thank you for including the instructions! these look amazing and Im definitely going to give these a try when I get a pair of shoes to do so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Etsy
YouTube

Looking for a custom stamp, would love to swap!
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011 04:51:21 PM »

Wow!  I really need a sparklie pair of shoes!  Really really!  Thanks for sharing the process!  They turned out beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Madame Souza
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011 05:30:08 PM »

Thank you for the tutorial. I need to do some sparkle shoes for Halloween and I was wondering how to do it. Your shoes look so pretty. You will be such a colorful group!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairytaleFinery
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011 09:02:08 PM »

They're stunning! Now I want to make all my shoes glittery, lol. Thanks so much for the tutorial  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Domestic Cat
How to Use an Airbrush
How to Choose a Paintbrush
How to Create a Flip Book
How to Understand a Work of Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...