A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aussie Ongoing Wish Swap DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 16671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Oodelally

Absence makes the heart grow fonder xo

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 14, 2011 12:39:19 AM »

We have been chatting about the idea in the Aussie Only Wish Swap thread, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic over here in the right place, hopefully to attract the attention of other Awesome Aussies for this swap Cheesy

There have been ideas to base this swap on the style of the Birthday Swap or the Ongoing Wish Swap. However we might want to mix it up to be more suited to our preferences.

Our original discussion started here... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=384385.0

:: What are your thoughts or ideas?

:: How would you like to see this swap organised?

:: Do you have any suggestions for a timeline?

Please reply here with what you think Grin

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011 11:34:59 PM by Oodelally » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~

Can you send me joker playing cards? I am working on a big project Cheesy
My Pinterest | My Blog
bananabanana
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011 01:51:39 AM »

I'd be interested in joining, when I get feedback from the current pass-the-parcel swap I'm in.

Being new to swapping I don't really have any suggestions for how it should run. But I was wondering, what if I get assigned a swap partner, but I can't make whatever he/she has wisted. Is it ok to substitute something I think they will like, and that I can make well?

Eg, I am good at quilting, cross stitch and sewing but that's about it, what if my partner's wist is full of jewellery or knitting?

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oodelally

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011 02:16:55 AM »

The style of swap we were thinking is quite different from a regular swap where you are assigned partners. Each person who wants to participate makes a wish list of the crafts and supplies they would like (possibly around 50 things). There is a dedicated thread to making claims in a chain form. If you are curious you could check out the current OWS 73 for some info.
When you make a claim you post your list and if someone wants to make something for you they say and then post their own list for the next person to choose from (which can be anyone).
If you don't already, you should get a wist or pinterest to start pinning things you would like to receive Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest | My Blog
NatACT

My little man - wrapped in mummy's craft :D

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011 06:35:26 PM »

I really like this idea Smiley

I am a bit scared of the birthday swap where I might make something for someone else but not get anything in return. I do know that we could put a "rule" that everyone has to be selected for 1 parcel before we can select people for the second round but I'm still "iffy" about it. Mainly the last person to pick is stuck with a list that may or may not be in their crafting skill set.

Perhaps because I've been in several OWS's I'm more comfortable with that option. And I like the idea of you send one you get one, or you send 3 you get 3. Does the first person in the chain swap with the last person to complete the chain - if so then we are back with the someone may have to craft outside their skill set.

I guess with the option to send supplies, we should be ok, either way.

Perhaps just while we are "ironing out" the details we could be on the hunt to plump up our wists/pins/etsy faves?

Does anyone have a suggestion on numbers? Someone mentioned 50, the OWS requires 75, I mentioned 100 (I thought if there were lots and lots of swapables there wouldn't be much chance of stalling or being last picked because of lack of different crafts, but when I look at my pin, its mainly inspirational and supplies - so who am I to talk.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up for a Personal Swap?

Send me an email Cheesy
Oodelally

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011 07:06:54 PM »

At the moment the OWS only has a minimum of 30 items (15 crafted / 15 supplies). I think it would definitely be better to have more than that.

Does anyone have any ideas for timeline? I was thinking we could run sign ups for 1 or 2 weeks starting in September (or would you like it sooner?). Then have the swap run for one month.

These are the claiming conditions in the OWS. Do you like them as they are or do you have a different idea? ....
If you are a first time swapper you can make one claim and when the person receives your package then you can make another.
If it is not your first swap you can make 2 claims. If you are a friend of craftster you can make up to 3 claims at once.

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest | My Blog
SilverMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011 03:00:26 AM »

At the moment the OWS only has a minimum of 30 items (15 crafted / 15 supplies). I think it would definitely be better to have more than that.

Does anyone have any ideas for timeline? I was thinking we could run sign ups for 1 or 2 weeks starting in September (or would you like it sooner?). Then have the swap run for one month.

These are the claiming conditions in the OWS. Do you like them as they are or do you have a different idea? ....
If you are a first time swapper you can make one claim and when the person receives your package then you can make another.
If it is not your first swap you can make 2 claims. If you are a friend of craftster you can make up to 3 claims at once.

xo

I like those claiming conditions. And I have 600+ pins, so I think I'm safe  Cheesy

Were we still thinking of having this as a Xmas/(Not-So) Secret Santa swap? I'm not planning on joining any more swaps until October so I can have some time to myself to build my present stash for my family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oodelally

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011 03:11:15 AM »

I like those claiming conditions. And I have 600+ pins, so I think I'm safe  Cheesy

Were we still thinking of having this as a Xmas/(Not-So) Secret Santa swap? I'm not planning on joining any more swaps until October so I can have some time to myself to build my present stash for my family.

If sign ups are for 2 weeks at the start of september and the swap runs for a month into mid-october would that be ok? You wouldn't have to claim until you were ready to in october...unless you were tempted Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest | My Blog
SilverMoon

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011 03:56:21 AM »

My limit is I'm not posting anything until October 18th, apart from what I'm already committed to. (Dresden Files, Random and August Birthday swaps).

So technically I could claim just after the start of October, but that is when the Random swap will be due, so I'd probably be a bit distratced. Perhaps for rd 3. I do like the current trend of Australian swaps though. With registered post it's not any cheaper, but it sure is nice not to be waiting 2-4 weeks for a parcel to arrive in either direction!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skittlebub

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011 03:48:53 PM »

Could we make it 3 weeks crafting time?
And maybe run through until the end of Oct (unless that's too long for everyone else)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
Oodelally

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011 04:14:59 PM »

Could we make it 3 weeks crafting time?
And maybe run through until the end of Oct (unless that's too long for everyone else)

Three weeks sending time sounds fine to me, you can always send sooner so you can make another claim.

I like the idea of finishing at the end of October, that way if we decide to go again then it can be a month to month thing.

What does everybody think about the limit of claims? Do you think it's ok as I mentioned above (it must be 1 at a time for a first time swapper) or would you like to see FOC allowed more claims, particularly if the sending time is 3 weeks. You don't have to use all of your claims however some people are Super-Craftsters (you know who you are Tongue ) and are really quick at what they do Grin It might allow some flexibility to keep a fourth claim spot free as a habit and if the thread stalls you can claim someone coz you have your eye on making something they want?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest | My Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Red Velvet Cupcakes With Festive Sprinkles
How to Make a Strawberry and Nectarine Crisp
How to Make Homemade Snickers Bars
How to Make Strawberry Basil Pie
How to Make Horchata Tapioca
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...