A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decoupaged Desk (90% finished!)  (Read 3202 times)
Tags for this thread: desk , decoupage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KristenNicole
« on: August 13, 2011 10:21:35 PM »

So, I had this dingy desk.  I know it belonged to my mother, and it may have belonged to her grandfather before that.  The point is, it's old, and it has been in the family for a while.  And it was looking its age.  I didn't want to paint it; thus, I hit upon an idea.  I would create a look that suited me and was in honor of my mother who got me started on crafting.  She passed away years ago, but I think she would love this desk!

To start:

Sanded down top:

Sanded drawer:

The mostly finished product (it needs to be clear coated a couple more times!):

The bottom left drawer is Alice in Wonderland, middle left is colors!, top left is pieces of old singer manuals, middle is a bit of everything, top right is more colors, middle right is Trixie Belden, bottom right and top are a collage of things that are either sentimental to me or just interesting. 

And, a close up of the bottom edge; I put a tape measure on it so that I can measure hassle free!

Comments and criticisms welcome!  This was my first try.  I hope to find a chair that will fit in that desk that I can decorate to match!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011 01:28:24 AM »

What a great rescue of a really useful piece of furniture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
MerryGlas
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011 01:33:29 AM »

It looks amazing! Are you going to paint the white bits or leave them as they are? I like the tape measure, simple but I'm sure that will come in very handy! What have you used on the desk top to protect it? I'd like to do the same to my desk but worried it would get ripped and battered too quickly...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KristenNicole
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011 10:21:16 AM »

Mostly Mod Podge but I am going to coat it with a polyurethane sealer.  Only two of the drawers haven't been sealed yet.  I think I like the distressed look of the white paint with the pictures; however, when I have more money I might go back and paint it.  I also think I will strip the knobs like the middle drawer.  What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Indecisive Monkey

Dragon Slayer Sam - Killer of Beasts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011 02:20:39 PM »

Oooh that desk is so gorgeous. I am super jealous right now :O
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KristenNicole
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011 07:28:10 PM »

Thanks!  There is no need to be jealous!  You could easily makeyour own.  :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MerryGlas
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011 04:47:25 AM »

I think I like the distressed look of the white paint with the pictures; however, when I have more money I might go back and paint it.  I also think I will strip the knobs like the middle drawer.  What do you think?

I like the distressed look too, although at some point I think a nice teal blue would look nice with the various sepia colours. The knobs all coloured/decorated differently would look good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011 08:58:41 AM »

Its looks lovely! The tape measure is a great idea, that I *might* have to steal for my own desk... Actually I might just decoupage my entire desk now because I am rather envious of yours (plus, I managed to ruin the top of my desk, its a crappy particle board and I put shelf liner on it and when I took the shelf liner off... well it took the laminate top too).

But it really looks like a space that you could sit down at and be inspired to create.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
KristenNicole
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011 05:35:18 PM »

Actually I might just decoupage my entire desk now because I am rather envious of yours (plus, I managed to ruin the top of my desk, its a crappy particle board and I put shelf liner on it and when I took the shelf liner off... well it took the laminate top too).

But it really looks like a space that you could sit down at and be inspired to create.

I wish you the best of luck with your project!  IF you do decoupage your desk, please post it so I can see it!

The desk is the most inspirational place in my apartment.  I absolutely love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyLand
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012 04:02:49 AM »

:)I love it too, huge fan of Modge Podge as well!  I was thinking also you could always put a piece of glass on the top of the desk to protect it as well...it looks great!
Libby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pancake Lasagna Recipe
KD 101: How to Make Gruyere Grilled Cheese
How to Make Your Own Applesauce
How to Make Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash
Simple Turkey Broth Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...