A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Variations on an obsession  (Read 671 times)
Tags for this thread: stained_glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: August 13, 2011 04:39:01 PM »

Well, here is my third piece of stained glass work. It's the one I am least happy with, but it is the best I can do under these circumstances.

The story goes: I offered to make a stained glass representation of a flyer's kite as a prize for the Virtual freestyle competition, round 18. This offer was very kindly turned down, but the organiser asked for an option for a future round, "of course, not a problem" say I.

Then I move house from a 3 bedroom house to a 3 room house so oodles of my stuff goes into storage: all my stash, all my tools, etc.

Then I get a call from the organiser asking for the prize for round 19, so I think, hmm, I'm moving house again in the near future, these things usually take 4-5 months to sort out the competition so I should be ok, I'll have all my kit out of storage by the time it's needed.

Ha! I should know better. Roll Eyes Unsurprisingly this is the round where everyone gets their act together really quickly and it's organised, announced, over and finished in less than a month and a half! Arrgh! I have no glass and no tools and they're under half a ton of furniture right at the back which I cannot move out and put back (very careful packing job).

This is the video that won the prize http://www.kitebox.net/vf-video/VF19%20Videos/Gabriel-vf19.mp4

My wonderful other half comes to my rescue, climbs over some very precarious furniture and wriggles under some other stuff and comes out clutching all my stash of glass, my board and a bag with *some* of my tools in. (Did I say he's on the claustrophobic side? He really is wonderful. I'm too big to get over and under there, at least without wrecking some of our cherished furniture).

So, I've got enough to start, and I do. I order some extra glass (the sky and the grey swirl) and get on with it. Unfortunately, I haven't got my nibblers, or any way to grind my pieces and I have to borrow a soldering iron (of completely the wrong sort). I know the soldering is awful, my cutting looks very haphazard and I feel very dissatisfied with it. Sad But it is the best I can do right now and I have to pack again to move house again so I cannot restart or even delay sending, so, it is what it is. If, after I've moved and had the building work finished and can start doing stuff properly again, and I have the motivation, I'll send him a better constructed prize. Wink

Oh, and the obsession? All 3 stained glass pieces so far are sports kites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011 03:45:09 AM »

That is such a beautiful representation of a kite.  I can see the flaws you have pointed out but the overall effect of a kite against the sky is lovely. And well done for doing it under such difficulties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011 06:01:37 AM »

I find that artists are our own worst critics. We know where all the goofs are and focus on those. Rather than focusing on what is good and beautiful about our work.

This piece is unique and I like it as is. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Gift Wrap a Circular Object
How to Do Cross Stitch Embroidery
How to Cross Stitch the Alphabet
How to Change a Needle Light
How to Stem Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...