A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first endeavors into chainmail!  (Read 2974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

orangesandjello
« on: August 12, 2011 09:00:33 PM »

I've been interested in chainmail jewelry for a while so I finally decided to do some research into it and get myself some supplies. I'm really enjoying it so far and I need to stop myself from just going and buying tons of rings. Anyways, this is what I've made so far.

I really love rainbows. Can you tell? The choker is two different sized helm chains and the bracelet is a captive inverted round chain.

This bracelet was my very first completed piece. I had to start over on it because the first time I made it I was putting in two captive rings in each "cage" and it made it so stiff that it couldn't move at all so I had to start over with one ring in each. All in all, I really liked doing this weave and I wanna try doing it again.

I made these last night. Took me about an hour but a lot of that was just me dropping rings all over the place.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
camezzo
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011 11:09:49 PM »

This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have no plans to die today."
 I would however, like to learn to knit.
http://pinterest.com/camezzo
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011 11:56:49 PM »

They're all great, but I love the bracelet.  I'm glad the new craft is working out for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011 08:39:07 AM »

very cool! captive inverted round was one of the first weaves I made, I loved the look of it so much - also, byzantine, which looks awesome, but is pretty clunky. You've done such a great job ... the rainbow effect really brings out the weave in the inverted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011 09:42:50 PM »

Love them!  I've been wanting totry it out myself.  Hope my first attempts turn out as gorgeous as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
appatite
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011 07:37:51 AM »

Very cute and bright!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stones and Findings: Stones, chains, pearls, Sterling Silver and indie-designed unique findings!
http://www.stonesandfindings.com
Make it beautiful Smiley
orangesandjello
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011 08:06:03 PM »

Love them!  I've been wanting totry it out myself.  Hope my first attempts turn out as gorgeous as yours!
Thanks so much!
You definitely should try it! I got the hang of it a lot faster than I thought I would. You just have to go slow until you get the hang of the weave. Also there's some great tutorials at http://www.cgmaille.com/ and http://www.bluebuddhaboutique.com/ has some really good resources for starting out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeachieClean
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011 10:25:58 AM »

Chainmaille is my anti-drug.  I'm too addicted to try other drugs. =P 

Closures look good, but I noticed some marks on the anodized/enameled (You didn't specify, but in any case, the colored) rings.  If you just hold them in your pliers, don't squeeze, just hold and bend, you'll have a better time of it and not mar the rings. 

And I was much amused by Myrdda's comment... Byz is clunky but CIR is not? Haha!  Besides, Byz isn't clunky if you use tiny rings. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
orangesandjello
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011 05:36:22 PM »

Chainmaille is my anti-drug.  I'm too addicted to try other drugs. =P 

Closures look good, but I noticed some marks on the anodized/enameled (You didn't specify, but in any case, the colored) rings.  If you just hold them in your pliers, don't squeeze, just hold and bend, you'll have a better time of it and not mar the rings. 

And I was much amused by Myrdda's comment... Byz is clunky but CIR is not? Haha!  Besides, Byz isn't clunky if you use tiny rings. =]
They're anodized. And that's probably because my pliers have teeth. Sometime soon I'm gonna go out and get myself some pliers without teeth. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011 04:14:41 AM »

the braclet is gorgeous... totally worth the effort
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...