A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,219
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altoid virgin!  (Read 822 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lozzieozzie

CAUTION!! Crazy cat lady approaching!!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2011 10:16:20 AM »

I was in my local pound shop the other day, waiting to pay, and I saw a stack of altoids. I had a look, and they weren't veggie friendly, so I put them back - but as I was putting them back, I thought - OOOOHHH (actually I think I might have said it out loud!  Embarrassed ) Craftster - altoid tins are good!!

So after palming the mints off on someone (probably think I'm a bit strange - 'you like mints don't you? Good, right, here you go - I only want the tin!'), I settled down to a bit of research, and here is the result!!

Would just like to say here - Rackycoo - you are a total inspiration - I am in awe!! Whilst I realise mine looks nothing like yours (complete altoid newbie), you certainly filled my head with shiny ideas!!

Front shot:

I used the lonely hearts pages from a local newspaper, and cut out the funniest most interesting sections, and backed the main parts of the tin with this. I used pages from a notebook I had for the sides and decorative parts. I just used a fineliner for the Beatles wording

From the top:

I used a Sharpie to add the decoration in (and cover up the bits I messed up with my blunt blade), and the beads around the edge are glue-gunned (is that a word?) on. I threaded the beads for the top onto invisible thread first, and then glued them down in one go - much easier!!

The inside:

More lonely hearts here, and individual pearly beads stuck into the bottom (me and the glue gun fell out a bit here - I glued my finger to my cheek!!  Cheesy )

The ribbon in the lid actually looks much better in real life - it looks a bit skanky here. It's kind of ruffled, because I couldn't get it to lie flat around the corners (I was in a rush to take these - I did tidy the edging up after). I then glued some beads and tiny hearts in a cluster, as it looked a bit bare.

I used a black sharpie to run around the rim of the tin, to tidy it up a bit.

The back:

More lonely hearts and notebook paper, along with a quote in fineliner.
The box was actually a present for someone, so whilst the quote might look a bit random, it's actually quite meaningful.

I actually really enjoyed doing this, and I think I've found another craft to add to my list (like I need any more!). Next time I will definitely not be so impatient, and wait until I've bought new blades!

It's not a patch on some of the ones on here, but I think for a first effort, it's not all that bad, but any c and c's are very very welcome!!!

Thanx for looking!
x

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest
Rowan Atkinson
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011 01:36:05 PM »

It's a good first attempt. I do hope you'll be carrying on with them. I like the quotes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Indecisive Monkey

Dragon Slayer Sam - Killer of Beasts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011 02:40:00 PM »

I like it Smiley It seems like a very sweet and meaningful gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lozzieozzie

CAUTION!! Crazy cat lady approaching!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011 05:52:39 PM »

Aww thanks! Was dead nervous bout postin On here with all the amazing-ness going on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest
Rowan Atkinson
arwenjade

I draw with a bar of soap...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011 09:09:39 AM »

Wow! You have really nice handwriting!  Cheesy I think I would've put the quote on top or on the inside of the lid rather then the bottom though. Overall, I like it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviate from the well-traveled path. Instead, take the narrow Way and discover the Truth for yourself...

Etsy ~ Pinterest ~ Flickr
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Ken Burns on How the Film Shapes the Filmmaker
Henry Selick on Coraline Production
How Diffusion Gels Are Used in Film Making
What C47 Means on the Film Production Set
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...