A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altoid virgin!  (Read 803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lozzieozzie

CAUTION!! Crazy cat lady approaching!!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2011 10:16:20 AM »

I was in my local pound shop the other day, waiting to pay, and I saw a stack of altoids. I had a look, and they weren't veggie friendly, so I put them back - but as I was putting them back, I thought - OOOOHHH (actually I think I might have said it out loud!  Embarrassed ) Craftster - altoid tins are good!!

So after palming the mints off on someone (probably think I'm a bit strange - 'you like mints don't you? Good, right, here you go - I only want the tin!'), I settled down to a bit of research, and here is the result!!

Would just like to say here - Rackycoo - you are a total inspiration - I am in awe!! Whilst I realise mine looks nothing like yours (complete altoid newbie), you certainly filled my head with shiny ideas!!

Front shot:

I used the lonely hearts pages from a local newspaper, and cut out the funniest most interesting sections, and backed the main parts of the tin with this. I used pages from a notebook I had for the sides and decorative parts. I just used a fineliner for the Beatles wording

From the top:

I used a Sharpie to add the decoration in (and cover up the bits I messed up with my blunt blade), and the beads around the edge are glue-gunned (is that a word?) on. I threaded the beads for the top onto invisible thread first, and then glued them down in one go - much easier!!

The inside:

More lonely hearts here, and individual pearly beads stuck into the bottom (me and the glue gun fell out a bit here - I glued my finger to my cheek!!  Cheesy )

The ribbon in the lid actually looks much better in real life - it looks a bit skanky here. It's kind of ruffled, because I couldn't get it to lie flat around the corners (I was in a rush to take these - I did tidy the edging up after). I then glued some beads and tiny hearts in a cluster, as it looked a bit bare.

I used a black sharpie to run around the rim of the tin, to tidy it up a bit.

The back:

More lonely hearts and notebook paper, along with a quote in fineliner.
The box was actually a present for someone, so whilst the quote might look a bit random, it's actually quite meaningful.

I actually really enjoyed doing this, and I think I've found another craft to add to my list (like I need any more!). Next time I will definitely not be so impatient, and wait until I've bought new blades!

It's not a patch on some of the ones on here, but I think for a first effort, it's not all that bad, but any c and c's are very very welcome!!!

Thanx for looking!
x

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest
Rowan Atkinson
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011 01:36:05 PM »

It's a good first attempt. I do hope you'll be carrying on with them. I like the quotes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Indecisive Monkey

Dragon Slayer Sam - Killer of Beasts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011 02:40:00 PM »

I like it Smiley It seems like a very sweet and meaningful gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lozzieozzie

CAUTION!! Crazy cat lady approaching!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011 05:52:39 PM »

Aww thanks! Was dead nervous bout postin On here with all the amazing-ness going on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest
Rowan Atkinson
arwenjade

I draw with a bar of soap...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011 09:09:39 AM »

Wow! You have really nice handwriting!  Cheesy I think I would've put the quote on top or on the inside of the lid rather then the bottom though. Overall, I like it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviate from the well-traveled path. Instead, take the narrow Way and discover the Truth for yourself...

Etsy ~ Pinterest ~ Flickr
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Salon-Worthy Blowout You Can Do at Home
How to Curl Short Hair with a Flat Iron
How to Style a Festival Updo for Curly Hair
Sombré: The New Ombré Trend That Looks Gorgeous on Everyone
DIY Pool Hair Remedy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...