A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 12 Aug 2011  (Read 2228 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011 06:24:42 PM »

A vote here for Jacey Bogg's video -- I really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011 10:19:35 PM »

LaughingLark I love your art yarn!  Such very cool textures, and they look like they'd be fun to work with Smiley

nikschaf, what a beautiful color!  I love that pink.

Puppy_girl, those colors are amazing and wonderfully "Fall".  Maybe you could use the yarn as an accent in a hat?  It would make a cool brim.

And here's my contribution, about 400 yards of superwash merino/tencel that I'm planning on turning into a pair of Talking Fish socks

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
BertaBerta
Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011 03:19:53 AM »

I finally took pics of a few things...

These two are fiber from my friend's MIL's sheep, dyed by my friend on her wood stove.

Crystal Blue Persuasion:

Dark Chocolate Swirl:

Then, dyed fiber is still fiber, so fair game for Fiber Friday, right?  This is some really gorgeous angora mohair that I hand painted.  the colors combined with the sheen of the fiber reminds me of beetle wings:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bold, One of a Kind Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns: bertaberta.etsy.com
LaughingLark
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011 04:45:30 AM »

Puppy Girl, I also like the idea for using that pretty yarn in a hat.

ariaya, that is a gorgeous sock yarn!

BertaBerta, I love your yarns! And that angora mohair is to die for. Jacquard dyes?  Smiley

Here is the yarn I was working on and finished yesterday. I took the pic right before bed, but I was too tired to upload it to Photobucket and post. But it was still done in time for FF.  Wink When I make these yarns, I like to include at least one, but preferably two yarns that I dyed. I like to break my dyes on purpose so I will get random color changes. It adds a great deal to the fun I have spinning them.

I really, really, really want the Boggs DVD. I am going to drop many hints at christmas. I know it's a good investment, but I just can't stretch my budget quite that far  for a DVD right now. The drum carder was a MAJOR score at this time. Another big spinning expense is next. I am learning that I will probably be much happier if I get the conversion kit to turn my Babe DT Production wheel into a bulky wheel that has huge bobbins. The maiden/flyer/support for all that runs about $180.00. I'll have to raise that myself somehow. I'm not confident enough in the quality of my spinning work to sell it online yet, so I might open a jewelry shop online somewhere and or have a rummage sale for the $$. I'm kind of in a hurry to get it.  Grin

I'm a SAHM, and we are doing okay, just don't have a lot for extras.

Hmmm...If only the family singing voice hadn't skipped over me. I could take my wheel and go out busking. Cheesy "The singing spinner" LOL. My mom has an awesome voice (even now in her eighties), my oldest son is a singer in a rock band. I have pipes, too, but they are random sometimes. I have good and bad singing days. People would probably pay me to take my wheel and go away. Back to drawing board. Heh.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011 04:47:01 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BertaBerta
Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011 12:21:08 PM »

The dyes are by Jacquard, but my local craft store only carried their iDye packets, meant for dying a solid color in the washing machine.  Obviously I don't have the patience to wait for the right dye to come in the mail, so I bought the iDye and figured I'd just make it work.

I mixed it up with water and vinegar at a really high concentration in squirt bottles and used it that way to do the painting.  Seems to have worked a-ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bold, One of a Kind Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns: bertaberta.etsy.com
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011 08:03:08 AM »

You guys are awesome. L.Lark, I'm really digging that dragon yarn. I hear you about the SAHM budget. 40$ for a DVD? Nah, don't even have the time to watch it. Maybe later in life?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
nikschaf
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011 04:48:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm in the SAHM boat too.  That's what's caused me to "embrace" dyeing my own roving.  Can't afford anything but mill ends to dye myself!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Questions For Reggie Jackson
Lisa Renee Jones: What Are You Reading?
Deborah Meyler: What Are You Reading?
Colleen Hoover: The Most Wonderfully Unexpected Bestselling Author
Abbi Glines Reveals Her Favorite Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...