A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
348 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finland, Helsinki  (Read 20770 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theporro
« on: June 09, 2005 11:40:58 PM »

Here are some tips for Craft Shopping if you happen to get to Finland

Craft shops in Helsinki:

Sinooperi

A craft chain, the only craft shop chain in Finland. General crafts, avarage variety, not cheap on most of thing.

3 shopps in Helsinki, addresses
Helsinki, Itkeskus Citymarketin 2 krs, Asiakkaankatu 11 B 22
Helsinki, Kamppi. Askarelli, Annankatu 35 (Near railwaystation and buss station)
Helsinki, Kluuvi, Aleksanterinkatu 9, 2 krs (Near railwaystation and buss station)

Hobby Point
General crafts, big variety, small shop filled with large variety of stuff, some cheap stuff.

Address: Kaisaniemenkatu 3 (near Railwaystation)

Sinelli
Papercrafts, some stamps. Lots of different papers, stickers. Some cheap stuff.

Address Simonkatu 10 (Near buss station, railwaystation)

Tiimari
A thrift shop type of chain shop that nowadays has plenty of crafting materials. Some beads, papercrafts. Cheap finds possible.
Several shops in Helsinki, website at
http://www.tiimari.fi/myymalat/myy09.php

Hope this helps someone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

min3r__va
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005 01:07:41 PM »

Wanted to add...  Smiley

This applies to all of Finland actually.

Shops called UFF (has big yellow-ness around their stores Cheesy) and Fida are both charity-based second-hand/thrift store chains, that organize&select their merchandise - so it's not just Random Crap(tm), but actually usable stuff.

They stock not just in clothes, but in everything from books, shoes, hats, scarves to misc. craft materials like fabric scraps, assorted bags-o-yarn etc. They're both found throughout Finland; esp. Fidas can nowadays be found in basically every town that has a population bigger than 10 000.

And also worth mentioning is that while UFF has a non-religious background, Fida in run by a lutheran (I think, correct me if I'm wrong here!) missionary organization.

Re: Helsinki activity, both chains are of course represented fairly actively throughout the city. For example, both have a shop on Iso Roobertinkatu, the pedestrian street in the center of Helsinki that's within a walking distance from both the bus station and the railway station.

Hope this helps anyone at all Smiley & happy thrifting in HKI!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theporro
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005 12:55:02 AM »

Also to add: there are those Euro shops in Helsinki too, where everything costs one euro. There are several in the Helsinki City area including one on railwaystation.
You can occationally find glass seed bead sets from them, some papercraft items, some cheap jewelry, some interesting scarfs (to be used on other projects) etc.

Also there is a craftbook store in Helsinki that sells mostly English craft books. Its very charming little place called Hobboks http://www.hobboks.com/, address Korkeavuorenkatu 45.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heidi80
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005 05:29:30 AM »

I'm not too fond of Tiimari and Sinelli, their sortiment is not good. Hobby point is expensive, but they have a much greater variety of beads.  I've sometimes bought old necklaces in thrift stores and then used the pearls. That's really the best and most economic way, but it's hard to find good necklaces in thrift stores. must check out UFF
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bead crazy
Alexandra
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006 10:26:33 AM »

So where in Helsinki can I find UFF? I'm going there in late february and I didn't know they had it, because in Stockholm (where I live) they shut them down a couple of years ago, very sad. But I think it had something to do with the management stealing all the money.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006 12:57:52 AM by Alexandra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
theporro
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006 10:37:23 AM »

There are several UFF shops in Helsinki, the street addressess are written under Helsinki on their website
http://www.uff.fi/

Out of theese the Mannerheimintie - street and Iso Robertinkatu - street are closest to downtown Helsinki. There also are some more second hand shops and a good button shop in Iso Robertinkatu- street so that would be the location that I would suggest especially for tourists with limited source of time. Very easy to find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Larici
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006 03:11:44 PM »

I'm planning to go to Helsinki next month to visit some family. I was thinking on getting some fabric as I love the finnish design (I have a marimekko comforter, alvaar alto vases, etc  Wink). Do you know of any fabric store? Is there any outlet where I can find Marimekko fabric at a good price?
Kiitos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theporro
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006 08:31:42 PM »

I am not much of an expert with Marimekko fabrics but they have just opened a new shop with interior design partment in it where there are some fabrics.

Here are the detales.

Marimekko
Kamppi shopping Center
Urho Kekkosen katu 1, 00100 Helsinki
phone 010 344 3300, email: kamppi@marimekko.fi
Open monday to friday 9-21, saturday 9-18

Kamppi is a new shopping center about 350 meters from railwaystation in downtown Helsinki.

Also one craftshop, Hobby Point, has moved to better and bigger location. It is now near the Kamppi center at
Fredrikinkatu 6,    FIN - 00100 HELSINKI, Phone 09 - 4780 1997
Here is a link to their map
http://www.hobbypoint.fi/sivu.php?id=4
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006 11:50:13 AM »

I live in a one yarnstore town and I'm going to visit a friend who lives in Helsinki next week, so I would love to get some tips on where I could find a good yarnstore (or several  Wink)

There's a place in Helsinki that sells really cool vintage clothes,  it's called 'Play it again, Sam' and it's located at Rauhankatu 2. It's worth checking out (if you have the money... I don't  Cry)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Larici
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006 06:52:40 AM »

Thanks a lot for the addresses. I hope I will have time to visitn some next week. I'm going to be in Helsinki for a week!!  Cheesy

Anyone knows fabric stores in helsinki??

Thanks in advance for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Steak Salad with Honey Shallot Raspberry Vinaigrette
Cooking With Chloe, Episode 3
How to Make Honey Glazed Winter Squash
How to Make Cranberry Salsa
How to Cook Thyme and Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...