A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finland, Helsinki  (Read 20484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Julielaure
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006 12:36:19 PM »

Thanks for all these informations. I'll be at Helsinki next friday, I would like to buy a lot of fabric, if I can Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006 03:54:54 AM »

I thought I'd add Nappitalo to the list.
They have a super array of buttons, ribbons and other sewing notions there. What they don't have, you most likely won't need. Smiley

Nappitalo
Iso Roobertinkatu 4
00120 Helsinki
Phone   09-680 1813
Fax   09-680 1818
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006 03:56:16 AM »

The largest fabric shop in scandinavia is in Vantaa (according to the eurokangas website anyway)

The adress is:
Eurokangas - Kangastavaratalo (Petikko)
Petikontie 6
01720 Vantaa
Puh: 09 - 2706 9130

You can get there by taking either bus nr.360, 361 or 362 from central Helsinki or bus nr.50 from Tikkurila.

I've never been there, but I might just have to check it out next time I go to Helsinki (it's open until 7.30 on mondays to fridays and 4.30 on saturdays)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Julielaure
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006 08:58:54 AM »

Hobby point has changed of adress. I went to helsinki and the new adress is fredrikinkatu, hope I'm not saying something wrong, and  near you can find a REAL fabrics'shop ! But very expensive (150 euros for one meter of fabric!). This street is cool ^^ there is also a fabrics'shop in fredrikinkatu in a kauppu, next to the finnkino, don't remember exactly where. But you can also find fabrics in big flats where there are a lot of clothes'shop. Sorry for this description but just open your eyes and you'll find fabrics where you didn't think you could find it!
I went to Sinelli, very nice, good prices, my best frind buyed chains to make on her jeans, it looks wonderful (and a meter of chain for 4 euros is really cool^^).
Sorry for my english, I don't want toi verify each of my word in the dictionnary, ask me if I'm not clear!
Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006 03:06:01 PM »

There's Aletta next to the Kamppi center on Freda (Frederikinkatu 63, tel. (09) 694 3384). They mostly stock interior decorating fabrics (and wallpapers, although those you have to special order), but they have possibly the best selection of the more high end fabrics around. Some of the prices are a bit on the spendy side, but since the most expensive fabrics are pretty much hand printed with designs dating from the 1800's, it's pretty much a given that they should also cost a bundle.
The owner of the store, and the other staff too, are really nice and super helpful and they don't mind you pining over the wonderful books of fabric & wallpaper swatches they have for hours on end. Grin

(Edited to add address & contact info)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006 03:10:00 PM by Kitty Vane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polka Snibbs
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007 09:06:17 AM »

Adding Taito Shop Helsky to the list: huge amount of handicrafts (not the usual tourist-reindeer-sh*t that can be found elsewhere) and loads and loads of yarn! Wool, linen, cotton -for weaving, knitting and lace-making. For weavers a Finnish speciality called "poppana", sort of a cotton ribbon you can weave into a table runner or something alike. You can also purchase knitting and weaving implements, rigid heddles and sometimes card weaving cards, too.

Taito Shop Helsky
Eteläesplanadi 4
00130 Helsinki

More yarn and thread can also be bought from "yarnservice" Menita, which lies only a short walk away from Taito Shop. They have also stuff for embroidery, cross-stitching and such.

Menita Lankapalvelu
Korkeavuorenkatu 20
00120 Helsinki

Both of these are right in the center of Helsinki.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soakedpoet
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007 10:32:29 AM »

I thought I could also bring out some craft related shops and such...
Like Tempera that sells all kinds of artist and hobby materials. It's located in Uudenmaankatu 16, 00120 Helsinki.

Then there's these shops I just thought someone might be interested in:

Design District Helsinki might help you spend some time. On the top right you can change the language to english.

Kierrätyskeskus is also something you might wanna check out. They sell all kinds of things people have given them. "In our shops You will find items to purchase (for a cheap price, of course) and information about environment-friendly habits of consumption."
Lönnrotinkatu shop:
Lönnrotinkatu 45
00180 Helsinki
and
Kyläsaari shop:
Kyläsaarenkatu 8
00580 Helsinki

And finally, if you wanna see people from the streets of Helsinki then visit HEL LOOKS. Of course those are just the people they have picked to be photographed, it's not like everybody looks like that Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training" - Anna Freud

blog / wists
Midorian
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008 11:15:13 PM »

This is sort of an old thread, I know, just thought I'd add in case someone is interested..

Marimekko has an outlet for 2nd quality goods (although I can't see the difference..) in the Market Hall (kauppahalli) on Hakaniementori, 10 minutes by foot to the north of the railwaystation. It's small, and the prices are still higher than my budget allows, but it's slightly cheaper than the normal Marimekko stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Polka Snibbs
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008 03:45:07 AM »

Adding some fabric stores in Helsinki...

At the city center, next to the Kamppi bus terminal/underground station/shopping center there is a fabulous family owned fabric store, Holger Kivi. The fabrics at the window tend to be rather expensive, but if you are looking for something special, this is the place. And inside they sell bits, pieces and pack-ends cheaply.
Kangaskauppa Kivi Holger
Fredrikinkatu 59
00100 HELSINKI

Eurokangas has a couple of shops in Helsinki. One of them right next to the main train station, at the Eliel square in a building called Sanomatalo (a butt-ugly modern glass-and-steel-building):
Eurokangas   
Töölönlahdenkatu 2   
00100 Helsinki

The other one is located a bit further away, next to the Esplanadi park. It takes about five minutes to walk there from the train station -during rush hours you can take a shortcut throught the big department store Stockmann -but only if you know the route..! IIRC this store is a bit hidden away inside a patio or something... But they usually have some sign outside, so finding it should be no problem.
Eurokangas   
Eteläesplanadi 22   
00130 Helsinki

The third one is at Itäkeskus, and you need to use the underground to get there. A small word of warning: Itäkeskus is the biggest shopping mall in Finland, and it has been built during twenty or something years, so it is vast and labyrinth-like. If you can, take a native guide with you. I have been there several times and I still tend to get lost at least once. But if you dare to go there, it is worth it. The store is at the second floor, next to a big Chinese restaurant and a small shop selling Russian treats and candies.
Eurokangas   
Itäkatu 7 e 10 (Piazza 2. kerros)   
00930 Helsinki

And then there is Matan Tekstiili in Hakaniemi, a short bus/tram/underground trip away from the city center. For example a great selection of woollen fabrics around the year -and I think there is an embroidery shop right next to it...
Matan Tekstiili
Hämeentie 28
00530 HELSINKI
(Homepage: http://www.matankankaat.com/ The word "kankaat" means fabrics, "tarvikkeet" is supplies and the store is open from 11 am to 6 pm, except on Saturdays, then it is open from 11 am to 2 pm.)

If I remember correctly there are a couple of more, but I can´t remember their names or the locations...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008 03:49:50 AM by Polka Snibbs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gregs
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009 11:40:07 AM »

(So I'm sort of replying to an old thread here, but I hope that's ok)

Why oh why didn't I see this thread before I visited Helsinki last summer.

Btw, does anyone of you know of any good vegan restaurant in Helsinki?
I´ve heard about Zucchini Vegetarian Cafe, but they have been closed everytime I've been in town.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Soap
How to Make a Boutonniere
How to Make a Faux-Agate Pendant
How to Crochet a Spring Fling Pillow: Basic Outline
How to Make a Succulent Centerpiece
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...