A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finland, Helsinki  (Read 22179 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theporro
« on: June 09, 2005 11:40:58 PM »

Here are some tips for Craft Shopping if you happen to get to Finland

Craft shops in Helsinki:

Sinooperi

A craft chain, the only craft shop chain in Finland. General crafts, avarage variety, not cheap on most of thing.

3 shopps in Helsinki, addresses
Helsinki, Itäkeskus Citymarketin 2 krs, Asiakkaankatu 11 B 22
Helsinki, Kamppi. Askarelli, Annankatu 35 (Near railwaystation and buss station)
Helsinki, Kluuvi, Aleksanterinkatu 9, 2 krs (Near railwaystation and buss station)

Hobby Point
General crafts, big variety, small shop filled with large variety of stuff, some cheap stuff.

Address: Kaisaniemenkatu 3 (near Railwaystation)

Sinelli
Papercrafts, some stamps. Lots of different papers, stickers. Some cheap stuff.

Address Simonkatu 10 (Near buss station, railwaystation)

Tiimari
A thrift shop type of chain shop that nowadays has plenty of crafting materials. Some beads, papercrafts. Cheap finds possible.
Several shops in Helsinki, website at
http://www.tiimari.fi/myymalat/myy09.php

Hope this helps someone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

min3r__va
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005 01:07:41 PM »

Wanted to add...  Smiley

This applies to all of Finland actually.

Shops called UFF (has big yellow-ness around their stores Cheesy) and Fida are both charity-based second-hand/thrift store chains, that organize&select their merchandise - so it's not just Random Crap(tm), but actually usable stuff.

They stock not just in clothes, but in everything from books, shoes, hats, scarves to misc. craft materials like fabric scraps, assorted bags-o-yarn etc. They're both found throughout Finland; esp. Fidas can nowadays be found in basically every town that has a population bigger than 10 000.

And also worth mentioning is that while UFF has a non-religious background, Fida in run by a lutheran (I think, correct me if I'm wrong here!) missionary organization.

Re: Helsinki activity, both chains are of course represented fairly actively throughout the city. For example, both have a shop on Iso Roobertinkatu, the pedestrian street in the center of Helsinki that's within a walking distance from both the bus station and the railway station.

Hope this helps anyone at all Smiley & happy thrifting in HKI!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theporro
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005 12:55:02 AM »

Also to add: there are those Euro shops in Helsinki too, where everything costs one euro. There are several in the Helsinki City area including one on railwaystation.
You can occationally find glass seed bead sets from them, some papercraft items, some cheap jewelry, some interesting scarfs (to be used on other projects) etc.

Also there is a craftbook store in Helsinki that sells mostly English craft books. Its very charming little place called Hobboks http://www.hobboks.com/, address Korkeavuorenkatu 45.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heidi80
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005 05:29:30 AM »

I'm not too fond of Tiimari and Sinelli, their sortiment is not good. Hobby point is expensive, but they have a much greater variety of beads.  I've sometimes bought old necklaces in thrift stores and then used the pearls. That's really the best and most economic way, but it's hard to find good necklaces in thrift stores. must check out UFF
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bead crazy
Alexandra
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006 10:26:33 AM »

So where in Helsinki can I find UFF? I'm going there in late february and I didn't know they had it, because in Stockholm (where I live) they shut them down a couple of years ago, very sad. But I think it had something to do with the management stealing all the money.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006 12:57:52 AM by Alexandra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
theporro
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006 10:37:23 AM »

There are several UFF shops in Helsinki, the street addressess are written under Helsinki on their website
http://www.uff.fi/

Out of theese the Mannerheimintie - street and Iso Robertinkatu - street are closest to downtown Helsinki. There also are some more second hand shops and a good button shop in Iso Robertinkatu- street so that would be the location that I would suggest especially for tourists with limited source of time. Very easy to find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Larici
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006 03:11:44 PM »

I'm planning to go to Helsinki next month to visit some family. I was thinking on getting some fabric as I love the finnish design (I have a marimekko comforter, alvaar alto vases, etc  Wink). Do you know of any fabric store? Is there any outlet where I can find Marimekko fabric at a good price?
Kiitos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theporro
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006 08:31:42 PM »

I am not much of an expert with Marimekko fabrics but they have just opened a new shop with interior design partment in it where there are some fabrics.

Here are the detales.

Marimekko
Kamppi shopping Center
Urho Kekkosen katu 1, 00100 Helsinki
phone 010 344 3300, email: kamppi@marimekko.fi
Open monday to friday 9-21, saturday 9-18

Kamppi is a new shopping center about 350 meters from railwaystation in downtown Helsinki.

Also one craftshop, Hobby Point, has moved to better and bigger location. It is now near the Kamppi center at
Fredrikinkatu 6,    FIN - 00100 HELSINKI, Phone 09 - 4780 1997
Here is a link to their map
http://www.hobbypoint.fi/sivu.php?id=4
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006 11:50:13 AM »

I live in a one yarnstore town and I'm going to visit a friend who lives in Helsinki next week, so I would love to get some tips on where I could find a good yarnstore (or several  Wink)

There's a place in Helsinki that sells really cool vintage clothes,  it's called 'Play it again, Sam' and it's located at Rauhankatu 2. It's worth checking out (if you have the money... I don't  Cry)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Larici
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006 06:52:40 AM »

Thanks a lot for the addresses. I hope I will have time to visitn some next week. I'm going to be in Helsinki for a week!!  Cheesy

Anyone knows fabric stores in helsinki??

Thanks in advance for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Julielaure
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006 12:36:19 PM »

Thanks for all these informations. I'll be at Helsinki next friday, I would like to buy a lot of fabric, if I can Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006 03:54:54 AM »

I thought I'd add Nappitalo to the list.
They have a super array of buttons, ribbons and other sewing notions there. What they don't have, you most likely won't need. Smiley

Nappitalo
Iso Roobertinkatu 4
00120 Helsinki
Phone   09-680 1813
Fax   09-680 1818
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006 03:56:16 AM »

The largest fabric shop in scandinavia is in Vantaa (according to the eurokangas website anyway)

The adress is:
Eurokangas - Kangastavaratalo (Petikko)
Petikontie 6
01720 Vantaa
Puh: 09 - 2706 9130

You can get there by taking either bus nr.360, 361 or 362 from central Helsinki or bus nr.50 from Tikkurila.

I've never been there, but I might just have to check it out next time I go to Helsinki (it's open until 7.30 on mondays to fridays and 4.30 on saturdays)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Julielaure
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006 08:58:54 AM »

Hobby point has changed of adress. I went to helsinki and the new adress is fredrikinkatu, hope I'm not saying something wrong, and  near you can find a REAL fabrics'shop ! But very expensive (150 euros for one meter of fabric!). This street is cool ^^ there is also a fabrics'shop in fredrikinkatu in a kauppu, next to the finnkino, don't remember exactly where. But you can also find fabrics in big flats where there are a lot of clothes'shop. Sorry for this description but just open your eyes and you'll find fabrics where you didn't think you could find it!
I went to Sinelli, very nice, good prices, my best frind buyed chains to make on her jeans, it looks wonderful (and a meter of chain for 4 euros is really cool^^).
Sorry for my english, I don't want toi verify each of my word in the dictionnary, ask me if I'm not clear!
Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006 03:06:01 PM »

There's Aletta next to the Kamppi center on Freda (Frederikinkatu 63, tel. (09) 694 3384). They mostly stock interior decorating fabrics (and wallpapers, although those you have to special order), but they have possibly the best selection of the more high end fabrics around. Some of the prices are a bit on the spendy side, but since the most expensive fabrics are pretty much hand printed with designs dating from the 1800's, it's pretty much a given that they should also cost a bundle.
The owner of the store, and the other staff too, are really nice and super helpful and they don't mind you pining over the wonderful books of fabric & wallpaper swatches they have for hours on end. Grin

(Edited to add address & contact info)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006 03:10:00 PM by Kitty Vane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polka Snibbs
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007 09:06:17 AM »

Adding Taito Shop Helsky to the list: huge amount of handicrafts (not the usual tourist-reindeer-sh*t that can be found elsewhere) and loads and loads of yarn! Wool, linen, cotton -for weaving, knitting and lace-making. For weavers a Finnish speciality called "poppana", sort of a cotton ribbon you can weave into a table runner or something alike. You can also purchase knitting and weaving implements, rigid heddles and sometimes card weaving cards, too.

Taito Shop Helsky
Eteläesplanadi 4
00130 Helsinki

More yarn and thread can also be bought from "yarnservice" Menita, which lies only a short walk away from Taito Shop. They have also stuff for embroidery, cross-stitching and such.

Menita Lankapalvelu
Korkeavuorenkatu 20
00120 Helsinki

Both of these are right in the center of Helsinki.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soakedpoet
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007 10:32:29 AM »

I thought I could also bring out some craft related shops and such...
Like Tempera that sells all kinds of artist and hobby materials. It's located in Uudenmaankatu 16, 00120 Helsinki.

Then there's these shops I just thought someone might be interested in:

Design District Helsinki might help you spend some time. On the top right you can change the language to english.

Kierrätyskeskus is also something you might wanna check out. They sell all kinds of things people have given them. "In our shops You will find items to purchase (for a cheap price, of course) and information about environment-friendly habits of consumption."
Lönnrotinkatu shop:
Lönnrotinkatu 45
00180 Helsinki
and
Kyläsaari shop:
Kyläsaarenkatu 8
00580 Helsinki

And finally, if you wanna see people from the streets of Helsinki then visit HEL LOOKS. Of course those are just the people they have picked to be photographed, it's not like everybody looks like that Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training" - Anna Freud

blog / wists
Midorian
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008 11:15:13 PM »

This is sort of an old thread, I know, just thought I'd add in case someone is interested..

Marimekko has an outlet for 2nd quality goods (although I can't see the difference..) in the Market Hall (kauppahalli) on Hakaniementori, 10 minutes by foot to the north of the railwaystation. It's small, and the prices are still higher than my budget allows, but it's slightly cheaper than the normal Marimekko stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Polka Snibbs
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008 03:45:07 AM »

Adding some fabric stores in Helsinki...

At the city center, next to the Kamppi bus terminal/underground station/shopping center there is a fabulous family owned fabric store, Holger Kivi. The fabrics at the window tend to be rather expensive, but if you are looking for something special, this is the place. And inside they sell bits, pieces and pack-ends cheaply.
Kangaskauppa Kivi Holger
Fredrikinkatu 59
00100 HELSINKI

Eurokangas has a couple of shops in Helsinki. One of them right next to the main train station, at the Eliel square in a building called Sanomatalo (a butt-ugly modern glass-and-steel-building):
Eurokangas   
Töölönlahdenkatu 2   
00100 Helsinki

The other one is located a bit further away, next to the Esplanadi park. It takes about five minutes to walk there from the train station -during rush hours you can take a shortcut throught the big department store Stockmann -but only if you know the route..! IIRC this store is a bit hidden away inside a patio or something... But they usually have some sign outside, so finding it should be no problem.
Eurokangas   
Eteläesplanadi 22   
00130 Helsinki

The third one is at Itäkeskus, and you need to use the underground to get there. A small word of warning: Itäkeskus is the biggest shopping mall in Finland, and it has been built during twenty or something years, so it is vast and labyrinth-like. If you can, take a native guide with you. I have been there several times and I still tend to get lost at least once. But if you dare to go there, it is worth it. The store is at the second floor, next to a big Chinese restaurant and a small shop selling Russian treats and candies.
Eurokangas   
Itäkatu 7 e 10 (Piazza 2. kerros)   
00930 Helsinki

And then there is Matan Tekstiili in Hakaniemi, a short bus/tram/underground trip away from the city center. For example a great selection of woollen fabrics around the year -and I think there is an embroidery shop right next to it...
Matan Tekstiili
Hämeentie 28
00530 HELSINKI
(Homepage: http://www.matankankaat.com/ The word "kankaat" means fabrics, "tarvikkeet" is supplies and the store is open from 11 am to 6 pm, except on Saturdays, then it is open from 11 am to 2 pm.)

If I remember correctly there are a couple of more, but I can´t remember their names or the locations...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008 03:49:50 AM by Polka Snibbs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gregs
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009 11:40:07 AM »

(So I'm sort of replying to an old thread here, but I hope that's ok)

Why oh why didn't I see this thread before I visited Helsinki last summer.

Btw, does anyone of you know of any good vegan restaurant in Helsinki?
I´ve heard about Zucchini Vegetarian Cafe, but they have been closed everytime I've been in town.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cynde
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009 08:07:23 AM »

Try here: http://www.happycow.net/europe/finland/helsinki/
and here http://www.vegaaniliitto.fi/restaurants.html
and here  http://eat.fi/en/helsinki
Cynde
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gregs
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010 07:39:33 AM »

Cynde:  Thank you! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
maedae

Halfway through my studies to become a dressmaker!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010 02:22:38 AM »

Novita (yarn) used to have it's outlet in Lauttasaari, idk if it's still there but it's pretty cheap. Tarjoustalo is a good place to buy yarn too, it's a little bit less expensive, and Prisma holds yarn as well as Koti-Anttila.

Buy a Suuri Käsityö-lehti (magazine) and check out the adds and links in the back. It's the best way to go.

There's an Eurokangas on Vuorikatu right by Kaisaniemi metro-station but Eurokangas is expensive.
As for their flagship store in Vantaa, yes it's big. I think it's funny how they call it the biggest one in Scandinavia since Finland is not, nor will it ever be Scandi. Finns are Ugrics. Finland has nothing to do with Scandinavia, just as Estonia has nothing to do with the Baltic countries  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ballin Malin
thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011 02:06:02 PM »

Thanks a lot for the addresses. I hope I will have time to visitn some next week. I'm going to be in Helsinki for a week!!  Cheesy

Hi! The marimekko located in Hakaniemen Halli in the district of Kallio has good bargains in the second floor. Also there is a huuuge fair where I have seen lots of things (including fabrics) called Valillan Kirppis. The adress  is Aleksiskivenkatu 17  is a huuuuge brown building.

Usually Timari and Sinelli are the most known to buy things for handicrafts but I found them sometimes pricy. Close to Hakaniemen Halli there is a store full of fabrics. I like it. Also if you search in the second hand stores you can find fabrics as well.

I am posting a map with three places I have found where you can find some stuff in Hakaniemi (there is a metro station there called Hakaniemi Wink.

1. The one in red is a fabric store in the left hand of the post office of Kallio.
2. The building surrounded in pink is the Hakaniemen Halli (Marimekko second floor) Beautiful place full of colors. The second floor has many handicrafts.
3. The green one is UFF second hand store I have seen fabrics in there. Sometimes they have special price (two weeks ago they were 50% off).

I hope this can help you a little. Have a nice trip!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011 02:08:35 PM »

Thanks a lot for the addresses. I hope I will have time to visitn some next week. I'm going to be in Helsinki for a week!!  Cheesy

Hi! The marimekko located in Hakaniemen Halli in the district of Kallio has good bargains in the second floor. Also there is a huuuge fair where I have seen lots of things (including fabrics) called Valillan Kirppis. The adress  is Aleksiskivenkatu 17  is a huuuuge brown building.

Usually Timari and Sinelli are the most known to buy things for handicrafts but I found them sometimes pricy. Close to Hakaniemen Halli there is a store full of fabrics. I like it. Also if you search in the second hand stores you can find fabrics as well.

I am posting a map with three places I have found where you can find some stuff in Hakaniemi (there is a metro station there called Hakaniemi Wink.
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4397/guideb.jpg
1. The one in red is a fabric store in the left hand of the post office of Kallio.
2. The building surrounded in pink is the Hakaniemen Halli (Marimekko second floor) Beautiful place full of colors. The second floor has many handicrafts.
3. The green one is UFF second hand store I have seen fabrics in there. Sometimes they have special price (two weeks ago they were 50% off).

Ooooh goodammit I just realized I am 5 years too late. Well, if someone wants to know where to find fabrics my post can help hahahaahah!!!!!!! Tongue
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011 03:59:48 PM by MareMare - Reason: please remove image tags when quoting pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011 12:50:36 AM »

Thanks a lot for the addresses. I hope I will have time to visitn some next week. I'm going to be in Helsinki for a week!!  Cheesy

Hi! The marimekko located in Hakaniemen Halli in the district of Kallio has good bargains in the second floor. Also there is a huuuge fair where I have seen lots of things (including fabrics) called Valillan Kirppis. The adress  is Aleksiskivenkatu 17  is a huuuuge brown building.

Ooooh goodammit I just realized I am 5 years too late. Well, if someone wants to know where to find fabrics my post can help hahahaahah!!!!!!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Hair Mask with Olive Oil
Luscious Hair with a Shockingly Wild Ingredient
How to Get a Runway Beauty Look at Home
2013 Prom Hairstyle Trends - Selena Gomez, Victoria Justice, Lea Michele
Spring Hair Tips From Celebrity Hairstylists
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...