A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
839 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buying my first wheel  (Read 2256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bootchacka
« on: August 11, 2011 10:54:50 AM »

I really wany to buy my first wheel, but I have no idea what to get and whats best for my frist one and whats a good price ect.. any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011 11:15:10 AM »

The best advice is to try them out.  Wheels fit different people differently, so what works for you may not work for another.  If there's a spinning store nearby that you can go to they should have sample wheels for you.  Otherwise, see if there is a spinning guild nearby and they might be willing to let you at least sit at the wheels.

I'd recommend double treaddle, but that's because it works the best for me Smiley  I like the control that it gives and the wheel motion is a little different (for me, smoother)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
Bootchacka
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011 11:37:14 AM »

I dont really like the store by me the girl is kind of mean lol and I wanted to order one online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011 03:41:35 PM »

Abby Franquemont wrote a great article about choosing a first wheel.  Here it is:
http://abbysyarns.com/2008/12/choosing-your-first-spinning-wheel

Based in large part on what she wrote in her article, I bought a new Fricke S-160 double-treadle wheel and totally LOVE it.  I really haven't tried other wheels in person, but I was immediately happy with my wheel.  It seems to offer the most versatility at the most reasonable price.

The other wheel I was seriously considering is the double-treadle wheel by Heavenly Handspinning (the Bellus, I think?)  I love the aesthetic of the bicycle wheel, and the folks who have them seem to love them.
http://www.heavenlyhandspinning.com/e-commerce-solutions-catalog.html 

I mention the Fricke and Heavenly Handspinning wheels because I think they are lesser known but really good and reasonably-priced wheels.  (Note, I haven't tried a Heavenly Handspinning wheel, but read up on them in their Ravelry group before making my decision.)

Good luck finding just the right wheel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bootchacka
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011 05:44:46 PM »

I was looking at getting an asford kiwi. Is that a good one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011 08:44:52 PM »

I haven't used the kiwi personally, but the Ashford Traveler is what I have and I love her.  I love that I can swap out the flyer for the Jumbo flyer.  I think the only thing I would recommend is to get a double treadle.  I tried out the double at Fibre Week and wish I had a double treadle.   Ashford is a great company and they make good wheels.  I know someone with a Kiwi, and she loves it. 
Oh, and I didn't try out my wheel when I bought it,  I was just in the right place at the right time.
Also, Someone may argue this, but I was told (and it makes sense) that getting a single drive wheel with Scotch tension is 1)easier to learn on, and 2) more versatile.   The double drive is supposed to be a production wheel, so while there's nothing wrong with them, the single drive might be a good option for a beginner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011 06:59:26 AM »

I haven't ever tried a Kiwi, so I can't compare to the Fricke.  The nice thing about Ashford is that everyone recognizes that name, and there are lots of them out there, so you might be able to find a used one, or you might be able to easily sell it if you decide you want a different wheel later on.  Also replacement parts would be readily available.

I remember considering the Kiwi when I was looking, but don't remember for sure what made me decide on a Fricke instead.  I think maybe there were more speed ratios on the Fricke.  I do like that the Fricke has large bobbins and a delta orifice.  I think I would have gone crazy using a hook to thread a regular orifice in the early days when I broke my yarn a lot.

I'll bet there must be a group for Ashford Kiwi wheels on Ravelry.com.  If you look there maybe you'll get a good feel for what people like best about them.

I agree with Belladune with getting a double treadle if you an afford it.  You can always just use one treadle with a double treadle, but nice to have the option to treadle with both feet if that's what you feel comfortable with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bootchacka
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011 06:39:03 PM »

The kiwi is a double treadle isn't it?  And I joined raverly the other day and got extremely confused.  I'm not sure if that site is for me or not yet, I guess I should give it another go.  

As for the tension, the kiwi is also scotch. I think this may be a good buy for me when I get the money, plus I want to stain it myself Cheesy

I want to spin lace weight mainly I think should I invest the 30 dollars in the high speed kit?

Thanks everyone <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011 06:43:31 PM »

You're welcome!   And I'd say yes, buying the high speed kit would be worth it, and if you are buying new and spending the money anyway, what's another 30$? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antsy
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011 06:59:43 PM »

Can I throw in a vote for an antique wheel? You say you like spinning very fine and antique wheels are great for that. You mentioned you were on Ravelry, there's a group on there for antique wheels, they can be very helpful at finding a good antique starter wheel. I started on an antique myself (I have 3 antiques now, I've never spun on a new wheel) and I in no way regret it. I do suggest that you study up beforehand if you do decide to get an antique just to make sure you get a wheel that will work. If you need any help you can pm me on here or on Ravelry (Beyondthis).

Your profile says you're in Long Island, I checked on craigslist and these 3 wheels look pretty good (from what I can see in the pics, I highly suggest asking on the antique wheels or working wheels groups on Ravelry though, they can spot a SWSO or an expensive repair a mile away)
http://longisland.craigslist.org/atq/2556767715.html
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/gms/2562888964.html -a little high priced, but you could try talking them down.
http://hartford.craigslist.org/atq/2489419216.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011 07:09:41 PM by Antsy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bootchacka
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011 08:51:47 AM »

wow those wheels are so pretty! but I'm not sure if I want to start off with that.  Personally I don't know enough about them and if anything goes wrong I'm going to be completely lost. Also getting accessories may be difficult. I can just spend the 350 and get extra bobbins, a lazy kate, and instructions all for that price. An antique may be a good option for the future so its deff something to keep in mind.

Thanks though! I collect antique and vintage cameras, maybe in the future ill start collecting wheels too lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Straightening Techniques
Sexy Short Hairstyle Tips
How to Dye Hair at Home
How to Create a Messy Ponytail
How to Do the Slip Knot Braid
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...