A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Keeping track of time?  (Read 433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arwenjade

I draw with a bar of soap...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2011 05:11:05 PM »

I know that some crafters include an hourly wage of sorts when pricing their items. My question is: How do you keep track of time spent on your business/crafted items?

I'm trying to figure out a pricing scheme that works for me. But I've never been good at 'telling time'. Yes I can read a clock. What I mean is that I'm not very aware of when I start something or how much time passes when I'm working on a project. But for the purpose of figuring out a good pricing strategy that works for me I need an easy way of keeping track of my time. I tried a timecard thing (MS doc) on my computer but I always forget to use it. Oh and I don't have a printer so I can't, like, tape it to the wall by my PC or anything either.

Any advice please? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviate from the well-traveled path. Instead, take the narrow Way and discover the Truth for yourself...

Etsy ~ Pinterest ~ Flickr
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011 03:21:28 PM »

Time isn't always relevant, but if you want to keep track, you just have to focus and do it. Get yourself a watch that has an alarm on it; keep a kitchen timer where you usually craft and set if off every hour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arwenjade

I draw with a bar of soap...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011 04:31:56 PM »

Thanks for your reply!

I use the alarms on my cellphone frequently, and for everything. Even to help me remember when to water my plant! Roll Eyes lol

I know that there are other ways to calculate prices on crafted items. I want to try several different ways. I know some people figure in an hourly wage or some kind of compensation for their time. I just wondered how do they know (or keep track of) how much time to multiply that hourly wage by? Are they just 'guesstimating' their time? Or do they keep some kind of written/typed schedule, like a timecard? Are there other ways to figure it out?

I haven't officially started my business yet and right now things I do toward starting my business, personal stuff and everything else just kind of flow together. I'll be working on a personal project and get an idea for the business. Most of the time I'll immediately switch gears and start looking up info for the new idea. I could be at it for 5min or 5hrs before I go back to what I was originally working on. It's my natural flow and very possibly compensating for my time isn't going to be very feasible, but I won't know unless I try. I'm very thorough that way. I can't help it.  Smiley

I do appreciate your input though. Ringing bells are my most used time-reminder! I think one going off every hour though might annoy my roommates. I'll have to work on that idea... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deviate from the well-traveled path. Instead, take the narrow Way and discover the Truth for yourself...

Etsy ~ Pinterest ~ Flickr
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011 10:07:45 AM »

I'd say crafting is more like making a salary than an hourly wage. When you run your own business, you will have "unpaid" time no matter what because your business is pretty much your life, and you don't get paid for living. If you're at the point where you want to hire someone to do the sewing or whatever, then you'll be keeping track of their time to a pinpointed degree, but you'll still be on salary. That's just the way of it.

I would say if you're going to be "hourly", then sitting down and making the thing is what counts, and if you "guesstimate", that's good enough. The folks who write down every minute they craft are probably precise in many things.

If you come up with a price (folks often use cost of materials x 3 as well) and someone buys it for that amount and it doesn't make you happy, then increase your prices by 10, 20, or 50 percent, then use that as a formula. I think the point is to find a formula you can live with so you don't have to agonize over a price every time you make something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011 10:31:54 AM »

I made a point once of keeping track of how long it took to make an item.  What I found out was that the more I made, the faster I got at it.  What used to take me three hours to make takes just one hour now!  I ended up pricing the item to take into consideration the longest amount of time it took, paying myself $10 per hour, plus three times the cost of my materials.  I did not lower my price just because I got better at making these things.  In fact, I eventually doubled my prices because the quality of the items improved as I got more experienced - and people were willing to pay more (so I gave myself a raise to about $20 an hour).  Anyway,  you need to make one thing straight through from start to finish without any interruptions to figure it out.  That's what I did.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011 10:33:45 AM by mandodeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art Inside Toilet Paper Rolls
Ghost Bike
Classic Wrecks: The Rusted Car as Art
Off Book: Book Art in the Digital Era
Off Book: Street Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...