A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,437
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Small Amigurumi problems, help!  (Read 964 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 09, 2011 05:25:06 PM »

I am working on some smaller pieces for a friend of mine, various smaller amigurumi pieces that she is going to turn into hair pins and hats and such. One of the ones I'm working on is a little pikachu. I'm not positive on the gauge yarn the one I am using is, but I have been using a F hook (3.75mm) to do so.

So far I have the body done, which was simple:

(this was before stuffing he is nice and rounded now)

Well, I still have to make ears and a tail. The tail I dont think I'll have issues with at all (thought I haven't tried) but the ears are what has made me put this project to the side for about two weeks, but my deadline is coming up and I still have 7 other various pieces to make.

So far I have tried making smaller cones using the same F hook and it just looks like a knotted mess. I tried using a magic circle with 2 SC, another row of SC then an increase to 4SC, 2 in each but it still doesn't look right, then another row and it just...it doesn't look right. I thought maybe it was the gauge of black I was using but when I just tried to make the ears with the same yellow I used to make the body, it still doesn't look right. I cannot figure out how to make it's ears look...not a tangled mess of knots.

HELP! I am so lost and have no idea how to carry on. If you don't know what the ears are suppose to look like, it looks like, here is a slew of pictures: http://www.google.com/search?q=pikachu&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=994&bih=581

I am hopelessly lost.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011 05:59:17 PM »

I have a pattern that has 2 sizes of bear ears that might work for your project.  They're halfway down the page here:  http://suncatchereyes.net/Noggins%20Crochet%20Pattern.html

Good luck with your project!

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011 08:27:03 PM »

I'm not a Pokemon fan, so this might be totally wrong, but when I look at Pikachu, I don't see ear cones. I see ears that are folded lengthwise, so in drawn form, they look like cones.

Anyway, my suggestion (either way you do it - folded ears or cone ears) is to experiment with the ear as a flat piece, even if only as a design aid. Create the ear as a two-dimensional piece instead of a three-dimensional piece. A 'flattened' ear could be attached in a curve (the long folded ears like I see it). If you double the stitches on a two-dimensional piece in the round (if you made it top/down), you should have something like what you want in three dimensions, which you could then modify and stuff as necessary. A couple other ways you could 'double' to three dimensions are totally 'unfolding' the ear and seaming it lengthwise, or in two pieces like the above poster's pattern suggests.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck!  Smiley
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011 08:51:08 PM »

It might just be easiest to cut ear-shapes from yellow felt and sew them to his head. You might do his cheek circles with red felt circles as well. Too much yarn on such a small project does indeed make the finished project seem lumpy and bulky, but felt can draw in smoother details without much effort or added weight. What you have so far is really cute, I hope you post the finished product, whichever ear method you choose =3

I <3 Amigurumi
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011 12:15:56 PM »

I think you're right, it seems like felt is the only option at this size with the kinds of yarn I already have. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter M
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter P
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter Q
How to Create a 3D Effect in Graffiti
How to Avoid Drips in Graffiti
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...