A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: International Shipping Sea Mail...  (Read 853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NatACT

My little man - wrapped in mummy's craft :D

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 09, 2011 01:45:30 AM »

So I dont know what to do in this situation.

Im in a swap, send out was a month ago. Everyone else has received (including my partner). I contacted my partner to let them know that I havent received yet and they have let me know that, they had their mom post it out and she sent it sea mail.

Between our countries sea mail takes between 12 26 weeks (3 6 months). According to Australia Post.

I thought that it was a requirement that international post be sent Air mail, but I cant find anywhere that actually says that.

So Im putting aside the fact that should I have sent via sea mail it would have saved me $28.

But where do I go from here... surely since I cant find a reference to the use of Sea Mail or suitable expected delivery times, that this problem has occurred before.

Is it a case that I just wait 6 months before I put my hand up that the parcel may be missing? (I live in Australia and have had a swap parcel from Canada that took 5 or 6 months, the pop tarts that were in the parcel had gone out of date and were nothing more than crumbs by the time I got them. That parcel was considered missing after 4 weeks)

Do I have a swap spot taken up for 6 months because of sea mail, even though I've sent and my parcel has been received?

It was a big swap with a large and two smalls. Im worried about the risks involved. 6 months is a long time, in 6 months my partner or organiser or even myself might not be using craftster anymore. You never know, one of us might win the lotto, buy a sunny island and craft the days away, internet free.

By the time I receive, the other swappers would have moved on to other swaps and the joy of sharing the ooo look what I got or aww isnt this the cutest excitement will be gone.  Even finding the gallery or the swap thread will be long winded.

I dont mean to sound like a whiner (or a stick in the mud) I guess I was really looking forward to this swap. And the thought of having a swap spot taken up for ages (particularly in the lead up of several Christmas swaps) is making me a bit blue...

I also want to note that Im not upset with my partner. My partner has been very nice throughout the swap process and is only 17, so I do understand how her mom might have looked at the price difference between sea and air mails and thought she was saving some money.

So I guess in summary, my questions are...

Do I have to wait the up to 6 months to get my swap spot back?
And considering that Ive not technically finished my end of the swap process by posting photos of what Ive received, am I even aloud to ask for my swap spot back?
How long should I wait for this parcel before its considered lost?
Do I give it 7 months just to be sure?
What if my swap organiser or partner are no longer on Craftster?
Should I just consider this swap a bust and move on?

Sorry again for being a whiner (I don't mean to have it come across like that)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up for a Personal Swap?

Send me an email Cheesy
ViciousPrecious

i ♥ my craft

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011 03:31:12 AM »

I think you can still get a positive even if you don't post pics. I'm in sort of the same position as you for two swaps at the moment, both coming from Canada to me in Oz and I've been waiting more than a month since my partners got theirs. For one of my swaps my organizer has given me a positive. I'm pretty sure all you need to do to get positive feedback is send something and have confirmation it was received. I've had partners get positive feedback that never posted a photo of what I made them. I am totally feeling your frustration right now. Trying to keep positive it will all work out soon. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my wist
Check out what I'm listening to on last.fm
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011 10:01:25 AM »

I'm going to answer piecemeal and out of order.

I thought that it was a requirement that international post be sent Air mail, but I cant find anywhere that actually says that.

I'll see if I can figure out what happened to that portion. I can't remember if we moved it or removed it when we updated the rules.

Do I have a swap spot taken up for 6 months because of sea mail, even though I've sent and my parcel has been received?

No. When and whether or not you receive a package has no bearing on your own feedback.

Do I have to wait the up to 6 months to get my swap spot back?

Not at all. I hope no one told you that.

And considering that Ive not technically finished my end of the swap process by posting photos of what Ive received, am I even aloud to ask for my swap spot back?

Posting photos is not a required part of swapping on Craftster.

Is it a case that I just wait 6 months before I put my hand up that the parcel may be missing? (I live in Australia and have had a swap parcel from Canada that took 5 or 6 months, the pop tarts that were in the parcel had gone out of date and were nothing more than crumbs by the time I got them. That parcel was considered missing after 4 weeks)

How long should I wait for this parcel before its considered lost?
Do I give it 7 months just to be sure?
What if my swap organiser or partner are no longer on Craftster?
Should I just consider this swap a bust and move on?

I would open up a Help Desk ticket about these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011 10:31:46 AM »

as a sea mail sender from canada to aus or nz i can say almost without exception it takes 9 weeks. maybe if you get lucky it is 8. unlucky 10.

if it is a requirement that international packages be sent air mail i have never read that and it would seriously curtail my swapping. i usually try to send early to attempt to mitigate the problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011 07:00:32 AM »

Post between Canada and Australia has been trouble in other swaps before, there is a thread somewhere here that has lots of examples. So this is probably more a problem of this special country combination and less of sea mail.
If it's any consolation to you, airmail would probably have taken weeks, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Full Bust
Style Tips to Transition Into Fall
Kate Moss Reunites with Topshop for New Collaboration
Celeb Style Secrets: Nina Dobrev
How To Research Sizes Online From Michelle Madhok
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...