A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Hankie/Baby Bonnet Gift Set  (Read 6889 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_gift , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« on: August 08, 2011 04:02:42 AM »

I get inspired by so many great projects on here that I want to get in the habit of posting my projects. So here's my latest project

This weekend was my friend's wedding shower/batchlorette party. She's really picky about clothing so I didn't want to get her lingere and she's kind of a prude so I didn't want to get her the normal "box o' x-rated fun" that I usually give my friends when they get married. Then my mom remembered knowing someone that got a wedding hankie that you could later turn into a baby bonnet. I like the idea, did some research on it, and made it into a cute little gift set.

Close up of the rose, just becasue I'm super proud of how it turned out.

When she opened it up there was a card with this poem

Im just a little hankie
Hold me with your bouquet
Ill be there as you marry
To wipe your joyful tears away
Ill be there by your side
To catch a tear or two
Later youll look back at me
Remembering the day you said I do
Im just a little hankie
As square as can be
But with a small stitch or two
A bonnet I will be.
Ill be worn from the hospital
Or on my christening day
And after that be folded
Then carefully put away.
When on that future wedding day
So weve always been told
The well dressed bride must always
Wear something that is old
So what could be more fitting
Then to find little me
And with a few fine stitches snipped
A wedding hankie, again I will be.
And if perchance its a boy
Someday hell surely wed
Then his bride can have the hankie
Once worn upon his head

Then this vintage hankie

Took me forever to find a hankie that was zebra print, let alone with red roses (her wedding flowers) and a vintage one (so it can be her something old), but yay for etsy!

Then there was a card with the instructions on how to turn the hankie into a bonnet, along with a little sewing kit with everything she'll need for it. And finally I included a card with a little history of vintage women's hankies and a card with a guide to hankie sign language, just because I thought it was fun and interesting.

Everyone at the party thought it was super cute and sweet and loved it..........except for the bride-to-be who was too drunk to understand what the hell it was, kept yelling at me because the poem was "too long" and didn't make sense (she kept re-reading the same line over and over) and then got mad at me for giving her some cheap "bandana" that I didn't make and wasn't big enough to fit around her head. I tried to explain to her that it wasn't a bandana, it was a vintage silk hankerchief but she woudn't listen and was busy doing stuff like this

Oh well, I guess that's what I get for trying to give something sentimental to an alchoholic.........None the less, I'm really happy with how the whole thing turned out, I'll just have to be more careful about who I give one to next time. Just had to vent to some fellow crafters that know how sometimes handmade gifts aren't always recieved as planned.

Thanks for looking! C&C always welcome.

***EDIT***
Here's all the shiz I used to make this-
Tute for the rose- http://stacycohen.blogspot.com/2010/08/prima-layout-and-paper-rose-flower.html I wanted something bigger than the size of a punch, so I did a google image search for a 6 petal flower punch, found a pic of the sihloette, and then printed it out at the size I wanted and used that as a template. Before I rolled the edges I ran them over with a black ink pad (I think the technique is called destressing....paper crafts aren't usually my thing so I dont know the terms), this really gave it some dimention and my mom thought that doing the black edges made it look more like a silk flower. I glued the layers together using E6000 becasue I was lazy and that's what was sitting next to me, but I've since done some more roses for hair clips and the best way I've found to glue the layers is to use hot glue and shoot it up from the hole in the bottom, if that makes sense

Envelope/box thingy tute- http://stampartic.blogspot.com/2010/11/folding-card-tutorial.html Its actually a really easy folding pattern that ends up looking super complicated (love stuff like that) but you definately need to do a few trial runs on plain paper first. I used a Fiskars Ultra Shape Xpress template (the one that's on the heart template, I think they call it a victorian edge) instead of an edge punch because that's what I already had (absolutely LOVE that tool by the way, its completely replaced my exacto and some punches, if you don't have one its seriously worth the investment, especailly if you use a 40%off coupon) and I did the edging before I started folding. I foudn it way easier and that way I could kinda line up the folds so with the design to make sure that each edge's design was symetrical. When I was folding in the corners, instead of lining them up to the center, I kept them 1/2 inch out from the center so that way more of the underneath part would show, and plus it's a little more wiggle room for error because my measurements are always a little off, I dont know why. I didn't follow her instructions for cutting the patterned paper because I found it confusing so I just measured the finished peice myself and cut my patterned paper that way. I also made sure all my patterened peices were cut a little bigger than I thought I needed and then just trimmed off the exess after glueing it on, this way I would definately cover all the white card. When I did the middle band thingy, I didn't tie it at the side with a ribbon, I just attatched it in the back with double stick tape, but that's more of a personal prefrence. Also, wait to fold the middle band until you put everything inside because a few layers of paper/hankie/etc effects the thickness and if you pre-fold the band it won't fit.

Handkerchief bonnet tute- http://adventuresofanartisan.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/%E2%80%9Ckeepsake-handkerchief-bonnet%E2%80%9D/ Since I didn't pre-make the bonnet like she does, I also included a little sewing kit. I cut a couple lengths of ribbon about a foot long and went ahead and sewed the little loops on them and then wrapped it around a rectangle of scrap cardstock, taped it in the back to secure, then taped on a needle and wrapped around a bunch of thread. That way she'd have everything she needed when she went to make the bonnet. I also added onto the poem to include that part about it being a wedding hankie too.

I also included this little history of vintage hankies and guide to hankie sign language just to be fun, I got the info for this here http://www.etsy.com/listing/71466700/free-a-ladys-guide-to-hankie-sign?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=hankie&ga_order=price_asc&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=0&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Vintage white and ivory hankies that are popular today with wedding parties were produced primarily in the 1940s and 1950s in places like Madeira, Switzerland, and the Far East.

Embroidery, appliqu, drawn work, application of lace, and hemming were usually done by hand, often by 2 or more women who would each apply her specialty to the piece. 

Sold primarily in Europe and the United States, ladies would always have a clean white hankie at the ready to dab noses, catch tears, or clean a spot off Junior's face. 

It's said that no lady would let her maid launder her hankies. Each evening she would wash that day's hankie in scented facial soap, and then smooth it out on her mirror to dry where it would cling until morning.

Long ago, well before texting and other forms of electronic communication, ladies communicated with their hankies.

A Ladys Guide to Hankie Sign Language
Drawing across the lipsI desire to make your acquaintance.
Drawing across the eyesI am sorry.
DroppingWe will be friends.
Twirling in both handsIndifference.
Drawing across the cheekI love you.
Resting on right cheekYes.
Resting on left cheekNo.
Twisting in left handI wish to get rid of you.
Twisting in right handI love another.
FoldingI wish to speak to you.
Over the shoulderFollow me.
Opposite corners in both handsWait for me.
Drawing across the foreheadWe are watched.
Placing on right earYou have changed.
Letting it remain on the eyesYou are cruel.
Winding around forefingerI am engaged.
Winding around third fingerI am married.
Putting in the pocketNo more at present.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything. And if you make your own I'd love to see pics  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011 03:44:57 AM by ivoryh1632 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011 05:23:49 AM »

Well I would have loved to get something like that for my wedding.  Maybe when she's sober she will understand it.  Perhaps a kitchen tea would have been better than a bachelorette party. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011 05:27:49 AM »

love the hankie, but sure can't imagine it as a baby bonnet for a christening!  i've given this gift, as well, but it was always a white hankie with blue monogram. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.com
zzdia

oh-my-golly-wow-bananas

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011 06:14:43 AM »

It's a really sweet gift. I love everything about it. The research and the fact that you searched for a specific vintage hankie that would suit her. And the especially the box, that rose is gorgeous. Unfortunately, we all have friends who end up not appreciating what we give as much as we'd expect. :-/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog :: pinterest

Swapping international? Read up on swapping tips!

Tomorrow is another day. Never say die. Tomorrow is the day I die
tiffi_333
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011 06:22:31 AM »

Im sure she wouldve been able to make out the poem and the meaning of the gift if she wasnt so smashed. lol Everyone has days when they celebrate a bit much and Im sure that was just one of those times. Maybe try to give it to her again and see if she even remembers it..She's probably forgotten what she had said anyway.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011 06:24:31 AM by tiffi_333 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011 06:31:09 AM »

That is so beautiful! I'm going to save this to use for future wedding shower gifts! Its wonderful! I'll have to do some reasearch and create what i'd send with it, this is actually perfect for a friend of mine who is getting married in about 6 months, as her and her hubby to be have talked and want to try for a baby as soon as the wedding is over, and i have a stash of vintage hankies (some 100 years old or more!) that could certainly work for this...
your rose is beautiful, and the "envelope" (for lack of a better word) is stunning as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011 07:59:47 AM »

Beautiful job with the gift set.  You did a great job and it really is a wonderful gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011 08:12:01 AM »

You put a lot of thought and care into this package...too bad your "friend" was not as appreciative...just take pride in your beautiful work, knowing that your fellow craftsters appreciate and understand...lovely job on the rose, the package, and the vintage hanky is just gorgeous gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011 08:23:25 AM »

That sucks at how your "friend" reacted to the gift...

I think it was very thoughtful of you to try and find the perfect gift...two in one, actually...she could use it in her wedding now, and for a baby later...

I really like it and how it came out, you should be proud of yourself!

(After reading the other people's posts, I thought of something I would like to add...I had a former BFF like your friend...I made her a prayer shawl-she was suffering from debilating seizures-and had a friend make a special pouch for it...I was so proud and when I gave it to her, I didn't even receive a 'thank you'...fast forward a year or two later when we were having difficulties in our friendship, and she had contacted me and said something to the effect of:  "It's really hard not talking to you, I have things all over my house that you made for me!"  So she HAD appreciated what I had made for her over the years, but didn't communicate that to me...maybe your friend is like that too?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011 09:04:33 AM »

What a wonderfully thoughtful gift. The hanky is fabulously retro! Shame the bride-to-be was too hammered to understand this was the best gift she got, but take pride in the time and effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Meals That Will Bring You Luck in the New Year
Double Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
What to Do with the Holiday Leftovers?
Ham and Mushroom Pasta Bake Recipe
Slow-Cooker Pear and Apple Butter Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...