A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Hankie/Baby Bonnet Gift Set  (Read 6667 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_gift , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011 09:18:04 AM »

Wow, I am so sorry your "friend" acted this way! It's a beautiful, special, and personal gift!

love the hankie, but sure can't imagine it as a baby bonnet for a christening!  i've given this gift, as well, but it was always a white hankie with blue monogram. 

I think the fact that she took into consideration the bride's tastes and wedding theme makes it even more special and personal. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011 09:33:29 AM »

ha ha I went to a christening where the baby was dressed in black...that hanky made into a bonnet would have been perfect!  You are right---crafting folks can suit the project to the tastes of the receiver!  I want to know how to make that rose...it is gorgeous!! (please?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011 01:54:05 PM »

would you be willing to share the information you collected for this?
Like how you turn the hankie into a bonnet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011 02:22:22 PM »

alwaysinmyroom: I was going to send you the link to the tutorial for those roses i used (i'm making them for my wedding) but its been taken down... I hope someone else has another version of the tutorial, they are SO easy to make, but its hard to explain
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christyross
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011 08:09:06 PM »

Beautiful gift!! I would have been ecstatic to receive this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011 08:15:05 PM »

alwaysinmyroom: I was going to send you the link to the tutorial for those roses i used (i'm making them for my wedding) but its been taken down... I hope someone else has another version of the tutorial, they are SO easy to make, but its hard to explain

aww thanks...I think I found one that is similar!  I love how you did the edges of your flower the most!  It gives it that edgy look I love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011 08:48:53 PM »

I'm glad you found a similar one, I am making the wedding one out of old book pages (books ruined beyond repair but with some salvageable pages)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011 03:11:43 AM »

Thanks everyone for the compliments and kind words. And I'm going to edit the post in a minute and list the links and stuff I used for anyone that wants them.

elderflower - Its funny you say that becasue it was actaully the most boring bachlorette party ever, I mean we did crazier things at elementry school slumber parties, but I later found out that the bride-to-be had been drinking since 9 in the morning so she was having a much better time than everyone else. I just thought it was kinda funny becasue she insisted on not going out to bars or anything like that (we weren't even allowed to play the "pin the cock on the jock" game that someone brought) becasue it was too crazy and then I find out she'd been drinking all day.

jo_mama - It definately wouldn't work as a christening bonnet lol. But I was trying to do something more her style than the traditional white and plus she's not religious and not going to have her kids christened, I just decided to leave that line in the poem because it sounded nice. I was thinking though that in the future I might change that line to "on a special day" instead of christening day because I really don't know a lot of people that are religious enough to get their kids christened. I was also a little worried because a white bonnet can go for a boy or girl but this one might look a little odd on a boy, but I still, I liked this one better than a plain one, plus I doubt its ever going to actually get turned into a bonnet lol.

Miss Barbara - I've had friends like that before too. I actually recently reconnected with a girl that was like a sister to me for 20 yrs and then she started doing drugs and well yeah long story short we stopped talking. She cleaned up and now we're as close as we were before, but I was helping her move last year and found that she still had stuff I'd made for her forever ago even though we didn't talk for 5 years. Unfortunately this friend that's getting married isn't like that. I've only known her for about a year and the more I get to know her the more I realize how shallow and inconsiderate she is, especially after the party and seeing how she treats her other friends that she's known forever. Its just things like I've made a bunch of stuff for her daughter, (just because I love making baby things and all little girls need to be spoiled with cute dresses and bows) and then I'll ask her if I can borrow the stuff I made because I forgot to take pics, or as if her daughter likes the doll I made or whatever and I find out that everything I made has been thrown in a box in the back of the closet or went into the outside toybox where they've since been chewed up by the dogs. I really hate to say it but I think I just need to stop being so nice to people. She's paying me to help with her wedding (she wanted a DIY wedding but didn't want to do anything herself) so after she gets married next month I have a feeling the time we spend together is gonig to be severly limited. I love her little girl, but I'm out of high school and don't need the drama of "friends" that treat me like crap......sorry bit of a rant there but it felt good to get all that out  Tongue

tiffi_333 - I am going to try and explain the gift to her again next time I see her and hopefully she'll get it then because I'm sure she doesn't remember a word she said. I swear for someone that's not a stoner she has the worst memory. And unfortunately I'm starting to see that her drinking is not just celebrating or unwinding on the weekends. She's already messed up the time on the wedding invitations and the date on the engraving on the champagne flutes becasue she was drunk.

Ugh ok way too long of a post but I didn't expect so many of you comment  Smiley Thanks again for all the compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011 06:24:51 AM »

I don't give handmade gifts to the unappreciative people I know anymore, because of being jilted like this a few times. I give new people in my life a couple chances, but if they prove unappreciative then thats usually the last time they get home made gifts... I've been lucky though for the most part, and haven't had something like this happen in a few years
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011 06:28:54 AM »

I'm glad you found a similar one, I am making the wedding one out of old book pages (books ruined beyond repair but with some salvageable pages)

ha ha I just made a bunch using old book pages...colorwashed them with watercolors in the wedding colors...I am trying to find my huge bag of old silk plants to cut up some of the green...I will show you as soon as the bride approves! Cheesy

I got a shock when I told my brother that I was no longer going to make handmade gifts for his two daughters because they did not appreciate them...he pulled out pictures of them wearing my scarves and gloves, of their homes with my art hanging in their living rooms, and of their babies wearing clothes and bibs I made...he also told me that my youngest niece kept all of the Barbie clothes and furniture I made her when she was 7...I guess I assumed they did not like the stuff since the were not very vocal about it...so, I will always make stuff just for these moments and for knowing that I would rather take my chances Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Custom Shapes Part 1/2 - Apple Color
How to Use Custom Shapes Part 2/2 - Apple Color
How to Build Custom Color Looks - Apple Color
How to Use Final Cut Pro Part 1/4
How to Make a Particle Explosion Part 1/2 - Houdini Particles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...