A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tissue box cover  (Read 4255 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2011 11:25:14 AM »

My brother died 18 years ago in the last week of July so I always think of him around this time of year.  When I saw this challenge it inspired me to do something I had been meaning to do for ages, which was to try and create a font based on his handwriting.  I did this at http://fontstruct.com.
It probably took me more time than all the rest of the project put together as I had to first scan his writing, then select individual letters into Paint and finally copy them block by block into Fontstruct.  It was my first time to do this and  so it is not perfect but it is recognisably his handwriting.  The main problem is that it is too small/fine so in order to use it I have to increase the size to about 36 and Bold it as well but it does work.  Also some letters like Z and q I had to create from other letters as I didn't have examples.    If you want to see the font you can look for it in the Gallery at Fontstruct.  It is called David's Hand by egret.

The writing is 2 strands DMC embroidery floss no.  310 (black) in a mixture of backstitch, straight stitch and whatever looked right.

The clouds were two layers of navy chiffon and two layers of white organza edged with blanket stitch in 2 strands of DMC embroidery floss  - colours: 414 (very dark grey),  413 (dark grey),  169 (pale grey),  168 (very pale grey).

The raindrops are shisha work using 2 strands of DMC  168.  The mirrors are from old “coasterised” CDs that I cut up.  I do not recommend this generally as although I love the iridescence of the CDs they are very nasty to cut up.  I've tried using tin snips, side cutters and my old kitchen scissors and some worked well on some types of CD/DVD and some worked better on others.  All of them tend to shatter and crack when you first start to cut them and the splinters are needle-sharp. 

The dancers are copied from a print called The Charleston by  Ty Wilson. They are embroidered in one strand of DMC floss -  colours : 310, 168, 972 (Yellow), 666 (Red),   E168/5283 (Silver) and Gold – I've lost the band and can't remember the number.  The white was Anchor 0402. Mostly satin stitch but French knots for the shoes and earring and chain stitch for the necklace of beads.

I'd like to state here my immense respect for people who routinely embroider in satin stitch.  I found it extremely frustrating trying to get it to lie evenly.  I'm more of a counted thread worker myself.

The quote is altered from one in an article I read in a magazine in a doctor's waiting room recently.  Apparently it is quite a well-known sentiment but this was the first time I encountered it.

Thinking about my brother and how he coped with his long illness made the quote very appropriate for me although I do not know if he'd ever heard  it.  I made this as a tissue box cover because when things are difficult you often need a tissue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011 11:59:36 AM »

This is beautiful. What a sweet tribute to your brother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011 12:25:12 PM »

What a great way to remember a loved one and have the tissues handy at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011 01:12:28 AM »

It's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011 07:00:55 AM »

What a lovely piece of work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
angelofthelastday

Beware: objects in glass are actual size.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011 01:36:18 PM »

This has to be my favorite because I can see the love in it. It is so intricate, detailed, and well-thought out.
I am sure your brother would have loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ceena
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011 03:46:30 PM »

what talent! very lovely piece of work, and a beautiful tribute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as regret. There is only a lesson learned.

Lesson learned indeed.
jackielantern
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011 09:24:26 PM »

Wow that's beautiful! I love the fact that you used his handwriting for the quote. Seems like it was a lot of work, but definitely worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
as123
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011 11:20:18 AM »

This is amazing. Smiley Well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged
one_good_eye
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011 09:44:17 PM »

What a beautiful and touching tribute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baked Potato
Seafood Gumbo
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Authentic Rotel Cheese Dip
Hot Sausage Po Boy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...