A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Día de los Muertos Monster Plushie Tutorial *Pic Chubby*  (Read 12959 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , day_of_the_dead , monster , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Oodelally

Absence makes the heart grow fonder xo

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 06, 2011 09:29:40 PM »

I made this little guy for the Quick Plush Monster Swap and I fell in love with him. With a little creativity you can make your own and fall in love too Cheesy

To make him you will need:
Pattern - Found here http://www.dailyplush.com/tutorials/how-to-sew-a-plush-monster
Black, White & Coloured Felt
Tailors Chalk
Stuffing
Coloured Embroidery Thread
Black Thread (for sewing machine)
Coloured Beads
Applifix or other Fusible Webbing

Step 1 :: Print out the pattern. For this version of the monster we only need to take into consideration the outline and the large eye shapes.

Step 2 :: Trace the outline and eyes of the pattern onto another piece of paper and add in the finer details of the bones and 'Day of the Dead' Decorations. I did a google search to research ideas for my own pattern. Feel free to copy mine.
Because I couldn't get my arms/leg bones exactly symmetrical by hand I actually traced the back of the left hand side of the pattern so they would be identical mirror images.

Step 3 :: Trace the individual pieces onto the smooth side of the fusible webbing. It's easier if you group the colours. You may want to label them as well so you remember where they go (I didn't do either of these things in the picture).
Remember to trace the whole shape, i.e. the 'flower' type shapes are from behind the eye. You can see I have left it as a whole.
Please leave a smallish gap between each shape you trace.

Step 4 :: Choose your coloured felt. Cut around the fusible webbing *not on the line you drew* and iron the rough side to the felt. I try to be as economical as possble when placing the patterns on the felt. (Not pictured: the black part of the arm bones, I accidentally did them on white first...hence tracing all of your colours together)

Step 5 :: Cut out along the lines of all your individual felt pieces.*Leave the paper side of the fusible webbing attached...this comes off at the last minute*

Step 6 :: Place the pattern *upside down* onto a larger piece of black felt and trace around it using tailors chalk.

Step 7 :: Next you will be attaching the applique's working from the base up. Peel the paper backing off the skull and using the chalk outline as a guide, position it on the monster.

This is the order in which I attached mine...

heart

arm/leg bones (white only), hips and backbone

ribs

facial features and black part of arm bones

black eyes and green highlights

Step 8 :: The fun part Smiley Embroider and bead away to your hearts content. I used a variegated embroidery thread (I love that stuff!) to go around the outside and teeth, and then matching embroidery thread for each section of beads. It was a bit fiddly but totally worth it. I made sure to put beads on the yellow and green parts because they were so tiny I wanted them to have extra strength.

Step 9 :: Cut around the outside of your monster an *extra* 1/4 inch (6mm) as the chalk like you drew will be the line you sew on. Try and be as consistent as possible with this as it will be the guide you use to sew by.

Step 10 :: Place the monster front and another larger piece of black felt right sides together and using your cut line as a guide sew with a 1/4 inch seam allowance the whole way around, leaving a section open for turning. You should go forwards and backwards a couple of times near the opening to make it stronger for turning.

Step 11 :: Cut the other piece of felt to be the same as the front piece. Turn the monster inside out. I learnt somewhere that if you take the furthest point away from the opening and get that through first it makes it a lot easier to turn. *This step is quite tricky as the monster is quite small and felt is quite thick compared to other fabrics* Have patience and it will eventually get there. Use a chopstick to help you poke it through if you need it.

Step 12 :: Stuff your monster REALLY full of filling (you might want to shove it into the arms and legs using that handy chopstick) and then use a ladder stitch to sew the opening closed.

Something I would do differently next time (read: you should do this to make it easier for you! Cheesy ) *Only applique the facial features, i.e. skull, coloured decorations and eyes, before turning.* You must do this first at least for the embroidery and beading. Once you have turned it inside out you can then add the heart and other bones. This will greatly reduce 'fuzzing' of the felt while you are turning it.

Hope you love my little take on the monster Cheesy xoxo
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011 09:39:07 PM by Oodelally » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~

Can you send me joker playing cards? I am working on a big project Cheesy
My Pinterest | My Blog
Europa
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011 10:11:13 PM »

He's so cute!  I love creepy/cute.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are staring up at the stars."

Oscar Wilde
GlinkS1063

I can make that...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011 10:12:42 PM »

this is absolutely adorable, and a great tutorial...I feel as though even I could make this Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
themuppet
Wants your tasty brainmeats.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011 10:15:15 PM »

Adorable!!  You were SO much more systematic than I was with my DotD monster.. lol!!  I went with the "fake it 'til you make it" technique, and I love yours so much more.  Rocks rocks rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oodelally

Absence makes the heart grow fonder xo

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011 10:45:25 PM »

He's so cute!  I love creepy/cute.  Cheesy

Thanks! Me too Smiley Creepy without cute is just, well, creepy Tongue

this is absolutely adorable, and a great tutorial...I feel as though even I could make this Cheesy

You sure could! This was my first time using applique (I've had the supplies for ages and this was the perfect project to crack them open on!) It's so addictive! Grin

Adorable!!  You were SO much more systematic than I was with my DotD monster.. lol!!  I went with the "fake it 'til you make it" technique, and I love yours so much more.  Rocks rocks rocks!

You are too cute! Your's was great too Cheesy Sometimes I should really just go with the flow but it makes me nervous, LOL Tongue I'm more of a structured/organised person (although if you saw my craft supplies you might not think that Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~

Can you send me joker playing cards? I am working on a big project Cheesy
My Pinterest | My Blog
daizyduke
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011 12:01:28 AM »

That's really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

“I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
SpookyPooky
~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011 12:10:15 AM »

Oh, I love it to bits and pieces! I have been wanting to make DotD plush skeleton for the longest time but it always seems to get pushed aside for other things. Someday I will get around to it, but for now, I will admire yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarach
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011 01:16:54 AM »

Very cute! Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faemystique
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

RN who crafts like she's on Crack!

Making my art a priority in 2014!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011 04:47:06 AM »

OMG LOVE!!  I had something almost exactly like this in mind for my swaps (halloween)... it was like straight from my head to the picture in front of me... love what you did! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011 08:58:37 AM »

Not normally into the little skull stuff, but this little guy rocks! So adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 4
John Gillespie Talks About Money for Nothing
Mark Oppenheimer Reveals His Favorite TV Show
Jessica Bendinger Talks About The Seven Rays
Tracy Trivas Talks About The Wish Stealers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...