A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Waistcoat and a pocket watch  (Read 1915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Anyuta
« on: August 06, 2011 07:44:04 AM »

Some people call it a vest, I prefer the term waistcoat =)
It is now my "white rabbit" look: pinstripe waistcoat and necklace with watches!

I made it using this lovely, free BurdaStyle pattern http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/franzi
I love it when I can find free patterns and I send a huge thanks to those who post them!

More pictures:
Front

Back

Buttons

I am in love with the buttons =) and very excited that I managed to make my first ever buttonholes! (Although I would advise to make the pocket buttonholes before  sewing them on, my buttonholes  ended up too small (and therefore non-functional) because the machine started backing up as soon as it hit the pocket seam. However, for me, this doesn't pose much of a problem as the pockets were non functional (only flaps) anyways.

The only thing I had trouble with were the darts, does anyone have any suggestions for making them smooth?

Thanks for looking! C & C always welcome
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Biochic
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011 08:03:52 AM »

Cuuute! And so very dapper. Very good job on your first button holes! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyuta
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011 08:15:06 AM »

Thanks! =D
It took a lot of tries on a scrap piece of fabric before I got the buttonhole right, and I'm lucky that my machine makes it easy  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Circlesofstone
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011 08:53:52 AM »

Wow, great work it looks wonderful on you! I still need to figure out how to make buttonholes on my new machine. So far I've only made patterns without buttons.

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011 09:23:47 AM »

Extremely cute.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011 11:34:49 AM »

Very nicely done!

Have to love vests-er-waistcoats  Wink

As for the darts, they look fine to me. But one tip (you've probably already heard this) is at the end/point, sew along the extreme edge, having your needle catch just a few fibers (I do this about 1/4" until the needle slips entirely out of the fabric), leave a tail when cutting the thread, tie in an overhand knot, trim. This will prevent the dreaded 'bubble'.  Also, it helps to work the grain a little bit, and make sure the bias lines up when you pin the fabric for the dart. Sometimes, the dart won't land in the exact position where the pattern marks, but it won't get wrinkly/puckery. Good patterns will take this into account when marking the grainline for cutting pieces. However, I've had simplicity patterns that have the darts awkwardly against the bias of the fabric before...so who can say. As far as laying flat, press and pull the fabric away on either side, and then press the bajeezus out of it. You could probably tack them down if they still aren't laying flat enough?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011 02:39:05 PM »

Love this; great job! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyuta
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011 04:45:48 PM »

Very nicely done!

Have to love vests-er-waistcoats  Wink

As for the darts, they look fine to me. But one tip (you've probably already heard this) is at the end/point, sew along the extreme edge, having your needle catch just a few fibers (I do this about 1/4" until the needle slips entirely out of the fabric), leave a tail when cutting the thread, tie in an overhand knot, trim. This will prevent the dreaded 'bubble'.  Also, it helps to work the grain a little bit, and make sure the bias lines up when you pin the fabric for the dart. Sometimes, the dart won't land in the exact position where the pattern marks, but it won't get wrinkly/puckery. Good patterns will take this into account when marking the grainline for cutting pieces. However, I've had simplicity patterns that have the darts awkwardly against the bias of the fabric before...so who can say. As far as laying flat, press and pull the fabric away on either side, and then press the bajeezus out of it. You could probably tack them down if they still aren't laying flat enough?

Thanks a lot for the advice! (I actually haven't heard that before hehe)
I don't think I'll be touching these darts (unless they really annoy me) but I'll definitely try this out in the future. I'm kinda new to this and still rather confused about basic things like the grain of fabric.
I just... improvise Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDaytimeHeroes
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011 09:49:22 PM »

Oooh I LOVE this!
I've been dying the buy the perfect piece like this but being so incredibly picky when it comes to clothing, I think I may just have to make myself the perfect one once I'm done with school in a few weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This message will self-destruct.

Originals, prints and feather paintings!
My Etsy shop--> http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDaytimeHeroes?ref=si_shop
Deviantart --> http://kodriak.deviantart.com/

~<3
Anyuta
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011 07:37:16 PM »

Oooh I LOVE this!
I've been dying the buy the perfect piece like this but being so incredibly picky when it comes to clothing, I think I may just have to make myself the perfect one once I'm done with school in a few weeks.

Definitely go for it! =D
Check out some of the finished projects that were done with the same pattern I used, it should give you some ideas
http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/franzi--2/finished_projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Snack Ideas - The Rookie Cook
How to Make Seared Duck Breast - Food Done Right
How to Make Baked Beans
How to Make Crabmeat Au Gratin
How to Make Sour Cream Waffles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...