A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly old night tables get a new life!  (Read 10381 times)
Tags for this thread: bedside_table , recon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grammardog
« on: August 05, 2011 08:27:02 PM »

Teaser photo!

So, I'm a lady on a budget.  A tight one.  But!  I am also a resourceful lady who likes to thrift shop, likes a challenge, and likes to make ugly and neglected things beautiful.  Ain't that lucky?

For about four years, I have been using some very ugly, very damaged, unmatching particleboard end tables as bedside tables.  They don't have drawers and are too short and too wide and too wobbly, and are just altogether unpleasant!  My cat chews on my glasses and my earplugs sometimes because I don't have a drawer to put them in.  Isn't that a sad story?  And I don't need to tell you how else a bedside table with a drawer might come in handy, am I right, friends?

I have been keeping my eyes peeled in stores for a pair of matching, petite night stands, but haven't been able to find anything in my super-teensy price range.  So when I came across an ugly, 1970's plasticized laminate set at the Salvation Army, I thought, "Dare I...?  Do I have the hubris to think I can solve a problem like Maria 1970's plastic laminate?"

I DO.

The Sally Ann guy tried to sell me this set for $20.  Pffft!  I beat him down to $10 for the pair, citing their extreme unattractiveness, and we were off to the races.  While very ugly, the tables actually appeared to have been well cared-for... the drawers were clean as a whistle, and at some point, some 80's dude cared enough about them to replace the legs, and the pieces were nice and sturdy.  So I handed over my ten bucks and loaded them into the car.

First I cleaned the tables all over with rubbing alcohol, to remove any dirt and grease.  I then disassembled the tables as much as I could and sanded the laminate until it wasn't shiny anymore.  Sanding down the laminate was one of the most disgusting experiences of my life, you guys.  I inhaled more of the 1970's than Bill Clinton.  Hyuk!  Anyway, not to put too fine a point on it, but I was blowing plastic laminate boogies out for a week.  Don't be a hero, Craftsters... wear a dust mask!  I was outside on my apartment deck, so I didn't think I needed one, but boy, was I wrong.  After the sanding and the boogies and the tears, I primed the tables with BIN water-based primer-sealer, which has to cure for 7 days to really adhere well.  Longest week of my life!  I have no patience, at all.  After that painful waiting process, I finally rolled on a couple of coats of latex paint, and replaced the ugly old tarnished brass drawer pulls:

with new, modern pieces that cost me $3 apiece at the hardware store (see teaser, if you've forgotten).  Then I reassembled the pieces.  Ready?  Okay, LOOK!

I love the way they turned out!  I think they're well-worth my labour, and $16 plus paint.  I'm excited to see them in my new grown-up lady bedroom.

I would like to give shout-outs to two blogs that gave me a lot of great tips, and most of all, the courage, to attack a laminate revamp.  Censational Girl's incredible project gallery (http://www.centsationalgirl.com/project-gallery/) was so inspirational to me!  And a post from Living with Lindsay (http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/05/how-to-paint-laminate-furniture.html) also provided some sage advice.  Yay, internet!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011 08:45:36 PM by grammardog » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marcyoreilly
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011 08:29:54 PM »

I want to see!!! The photos didn't show up though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grammardog
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011 08:37:04 PM »

I want to see!!! The photos didn't show up though!

Oh, jeez... I am a master of messing up HTML.  I fixed it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011 08:43:57 PM »

What a great update!   They look fabulous. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MeganCrafts

I can't stop swapping! I think I have a problem.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011 09:18:04 PM »

Very impressive.  They look amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/megancrafts

Swaps:
Taking a break. Would consider small personal swaps.
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011 11:31:07 PM »

These look fabulous and I love your story. The Bill Clinton line cracked me up. I, too, need to use a dust mask when I sand/cut stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grammardog
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011 01:27:11 AM »

Thank you guys so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gekkogirl
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011 02:27:43 AM »

Awesome work! they look fab and you've given them years more useful life.
Well done for thrifty and craftiness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebluegirl
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011 05:45:13 AM »

From super ugly to super stylish!  Well worth the effort, I think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuneAriala
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011 06:20:43 AM »

Awesome refurb! I think they would love some really bright paint or fabric on the inside, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sports Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Product Photography
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...