A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun fur animal hat with ears (with tutorial)  (Read 63941 times)
Tags for this thread: hood , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 03, 2011 11:56:48 AM »

Furry Animal Hood!

I wanted to make a furry hood with animal ears to wear at Burning Man. I found lots of pictures for inspiration, but no patterns or tutorials for what I wanted. There were lots of hat patterns, but they are all made up of 4 or 5 pieces to sew together, and I think fur looks much better if there are fewer seams. Or they are intended for polar fleece, which has stretch and fur doesnt! So I decided to make my own pattern, where there is only one seam along the fur, and it doesnt even go all the way down! And in the Burning Man spirit of gifting, I figured I'd share my pattern and the instructions, and post a little tute. Please let me know if anything is confusing.

Credit where credit is due - I was inspired by this instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Sew-a-Where-the-Wild-Things-Are-hat-pattern/ and this etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeastWares?section_id=8167601 and the video for the ears later on...

Materials:
1/2 yard lining fabric - cotton, fleece, etc
1/2 yard fun fur in main colour
scraps of contrasting fun fur for the ears & pompoms
3/4 yard cord or ribbon
1 sheet sticky back felt or thick felt and some glue
sewing machine, thread, needle for hand sewing, utility knife or razor, scissors, tapestry needle
Pattern files: TOP  BOTTOM

1. Print out pattern files, There is a top and a bottom, you have to print each separately, then tape them together, aligning the thick line. You need to have your printer set to print landscape, and make sure it prints the original size - no auto-rotate and centre or anything. There are 5cm lines on the pattern you can measure to make sure it came out right (dont use the faded 2 one, its a little bit too short)

2. Cut out hood pattern on fold of cotton fabric, sew top seam with seam, leaving a gap for turning it right side out later.

3. Fold fur in half, fur side together, with the grain of the fur pointing down. Align hood pattern onto fold on wrong side of fur, trace it. Unfold fur, flip the pattern along fold line, trace other side of hood pattern. Cut out with utility knife. Don't use scissors on fur or its really messy! Sew top seam, tucking fur to inside.

4. Pin fur to lining, right side together. Start by matching up the centre front and centre back, then pin the flap part next, then the straight parts. Tuck the fur to the inside. I know no one likes pinning, but please dont skip this step!

5. Cut cord in half, tie a knot in one end of each piece. Tuck each piece into the inside of the pinned together hat, at the bottom of each flap. Leave the knotted end outside, pin it along the seam.

6. Starting at the back, sew the lining to the fur. Carefully sew over each knot of cord as you reach it.

7. Using the gap in the seam on the centre inside, turn the hat right side out. Poke out the earflaps. Sew the inside seam.

8. Draft and sew ears using this video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6aEqMlzzlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWRYLe0SwVI
(sticky back felt works faster than gluing on plain felt)
I hope that video works for everyone as well as it worked for me! It will make fox ears, If you want cat ears just make them smaller, if you want bear ears, make them round on top. Im not sure if the video mentions it, but the grain of the fur should be going up toward the top.

9. Choose one or two accent colours of contrasting fur to  stick in the ears, and cut them into small squares (about 2" square). Sew them into a little tube, flip it right side out, and stick in between where you fold the edge of the ear over, raw edges all along the bottom. Baste the bottom of each ear together by hand.

10. Try on the hat, figure out the best placement for the ears. Pin one down (safety pins seemed to work best for me), then sew it on. Sew the second one on symmetrically. (You can also stick the hat on a foam head and pin the ears directly to the foam.)

11. For the poms poms - cut two 3" squares out of the man fur. Cut two rectangles that are slightly narrower but longer then the square out of one contrasting fur. Cut two more rectangles out  of the other contrasting fur that are a little narrower and longer than the last ones. Sew each rectangle into a little tube, long sides together, with one open and one closed end. You should have six little tubes. Flip them fur side out.

12. Stick the narrowest tube on the end of a pencil. Stick the middle sized one over top, and the biggest over top of that. So now the smaller tubes are all jammed inside the bigger one, and you have a nice furry pom pom that you don;t have to stuff, with your accent colours just barely sticking out the bottom. Thread the end of the hat cord onto a tapestry needle, and stick it through the tubes, from the outside of the closed end, to the inside of the stacked tubes. It might be easier to kind of separate them to get the needle through, and then jam them back together. Tie a big knot on the end, and pull the fur pom pom down to the end.

Done! Wear your hat with pride! Hope to see you on the playa!

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011 12:10:43 PM »

this makes me wish we were finished unpacking! I have all the supplies in my sewing boxes but we can't get to them yet >.<

I can't WAIT to make this, its perfect, its exactly what i'm looking for! (I wanted a hat and paw gloves for so long, found a good pattern for the gloves lately... but not the hat)

THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011 12:15:50 PM »

Thanks so much! I hope you can get to your sewing supplies soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011 12:20:13 PM »

I'm sure i will... gonna get hubby to be to help me find the boxes next week after the current project i'm working on is done (he made me promise until we get unpacked only one project at a time)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011 01:30:22 PM »

Awesome hat! Thanks so much for the tutorial too! I'd like to make this some day (after I get through what seems like a thousand projects I have lined up *sigh*).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitiza
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011 01:57:06 PM »

It is perfect! Thank you for posting the tutorial, I want to make this for myself as soon as I can buy the right material. And I totally agree with you about fur looking better with fewer seams. This project really proves it.
Great job!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011 02:07:27 PM »

A tutorial, even?!  You rock!  That is a freakin' awesome hat!  I want to make one for my niece and nephew now, and it doesn't even look too hard to make.  I have very VERY basic sewing skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
SKooKuM
Miss Sews-a-lot

Dance kitty

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011 02:34:08 PM »

Very awesome! Thanks for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps. Send a pm if you'd like to do a Harry Potter, Pokemon, BJD or Obitsu swaps.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/kitsunestudios
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011 03:57:05 PM »

I want to make one!  Thanks for the tute...I seriously need to be wearing something like this this winter. seriously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011 04:05:37 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Achieve vibrant photos.
How to Add a Photo to a Photoshop Template
How to Change a Photo
How to Change Magazine Template Title
How to Adjust Sports Photos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...