A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute little capelet (pics and tute included!)  (Read 35070 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2005 01:05:51 PM »

Ok, so I have a formal banquet at a forensics tournament.
It was going to be very fun, and I had a formal all picked out, only one problem:
The formal is spaghetti strapped. I'm not particularly comfortable with spaghetti straps, and as it happens, neither was the forensics league, who said any dresses with spaghetti straps must be covered with something.
I didn't want to be lugging fabric around all night, so I devised this nice little cape.
I orginally wanted to buy one, as I liked the designs of the fur ones, but I didn't like the fur.
Thus, decided to make one.

I made a large circle out of newspaper.  I roughly calculated by measuring around my shoulders, and added several inches for flowy-ness. I then got a needle or some such long pointy object, attached a string, attached a pencil to the other end, and swung the pencil around (had the tape several pieces of newspaper together, so be warned if you decide to use NP)
Then, using the newspaper as a pattern, I cut a circle out of a blue sheet.
http://img266.echo.cx/my.php?image=10015585se.jpg

then, I folded the circle into eigths. This is also a great way to trim it, but I folded it so cut a neckhole. I measured around the base of my neck, added two or three inches for openness, and calculated how much I'd need to cut off the tip of the circle. Remember, cut it a little smaller, because you can always cut it bigger if you need to, but cut it too big and there's no going back.
so now my shawl looks like this:
http://img266.echo.cx/my.php?image=circlewithholeshawl5rx.png

At this point, I went to my fabric. I cut the fabric using the circle with a hole as a design.
After cutting, I neede an opening (after all, I don't want to wear it like a big frilly collar  Wink )
I folded it in half and cut along the fold. no big deal, right?
well, I want it to open up, and expose the front of my dress, since the front of my dress had a pretty design. So, using a dinner plate, I rounded the edges.

cutting along the red edges, so that it was rounded in the front. You can round as much as you want, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to mess this thing up (believe me, I'd have messed it up if there was any way to Cheesy)
So now, my shawl looks something like this:

I thought as I looked at it, yes, it's quite pretty, though I think the edges are a little too ...flat. But there was nothing I could do about it.
Until I went to sew it.
Mom ended up sewing it, as our only sewing machine hates me with every little cog and wire within it. She sort of hemmed/serged it, with a ton of stitched per inch. She sewed it with so many stitched per inch that when it came off the machine I adored it.
The edges had frilled up and looked absolutely PERFECT! I sewed white organza ribbon to it, for a tie.
I now adore the thing wtih every fiber of my being and wear it everywhere I can.
I'm going to make a few more, perhaps sell a few, just because they are so cute, and WAY more easy than the instructions sound!
current pic of my little cape(thie pictures do the beautiful fabric absolutely NO justice):

Questions?
Comments?
EDI: gaw! I've given up posting pics. here are links instead  Angry Smiley
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 10:19:04 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
tigger
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005 02:44:17 PM »

Oh wow totally cute, thanks for the tute, I must try!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashenteardrop
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005 10:50:30 AM »

Haha, go forensics, that would be speech yes? The other NFL?  I'm involved in that too.  Rock on.  Your caplet is so beautiful!  I am going to make one at some point, hopefully.  Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no happiness like that of being loved by our fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.     Jane Eyre
OBudah
I like to make wearable things out of things that aren't wearable.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005 11:57:12 AM »

GO FORENSICS! I too am a member of the NFL. Rock on. i'm so glad to see other forensics-ers here Grin. And such an awesome caplet. Its beautiful Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005 11:58:44 AM »

What a great idea! Have fun at the banquet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muffinpod
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005 01:43:22 PM »

looks so easy! yaaaay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faerie Cake
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005 04:29:01 PM »

That is cute. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawnmari
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006 12:20:09 AM »

Thank you for the tut!!  You made it seem very easy ... very doable!!  Very cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawnmari
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006 07:14:48 AM »

CUTE caplet!!  Beautiful color!  Could you ask your mom what type of stitch she used?  Did she use a regular sewing machine or a serger?  What kind of material did you use?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinxInTeaAge
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006 08:51:17 AM »

That's really pretty.  I've been contemplating trying to make a capelet by altering a circle skirt. 

(In addition, 4n6 represent.  Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to being an "us", for once, instead of a "them"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies
Learn A Delicious Lemon and Vanilla Crème Brulee Recipe
How to Make a Victoria Meringue Sponge Cake
How to Make a New York-Style Cheesecake
How to Make Galaktoboureko
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...