A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,387
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eat, Drink, and Be Merry in my new dining room! Before and lots of afters :)  (Read 1959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coloringmyworld

I want to be crafty forever!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2011 09:58:18 AM »

I've been keeping myself busy indoors these days while it's been so hot outdoors
Here's one of the things I've been up to!  Messing around with my dining room Smiley

Here's an after (so it doesn't have an ugly thumbnail Cheesy)

Here's the thrilling befores:

and

And here's the afters!

I have a lot of my artwork around the house - here's another gallery wall:

I have two young children - 1 and 4 years old - and that does not bode well for the carpet in the dining room!  So I saw a blog post somewhere that put this idea into my head - to make a hardboard 'rug' to place under the table!  I have seen laminate flooring cut and placed to essentially do the same thing, but I don't think it would lay flat with my heavy table and iron chairs.  So I did this instead and what a difference it makes!  My carpet was so much more dirty than I think I realized because now I see everything!  Ugh!

Basically, I bought 2 sheets of Masonite from the Home Depot, I designed my own stencils and cut them out - you could totally buy some, but we don't have anywhere locally to get ones I like and I wasn't patient enough to wait for one to come in the mail! However, I decided that I hate stenciling and stink at it, so I ended up free-handing the darn things.  Then coated them with *several* coats of polyeuorthane and there you have it!
A close up of one of the panels:

And finally, my curtain rods!  I am cheap.  I bought conduit pipes for $1.28 and got 2 curtain rods out of it!  I hate it when curtain rods sag, or twist under the weight of the curtains and whatever, and this conduit pipe is strong! I couldn't be happier with these! Yet, my curtains kept popping off the ends. So, I got creative and came up with this as my finial! I stuck a stem of silk flowers in the end.  Yay!! Love it! And no more last-tab-off-the-rod curtains!

So, let's hear it!  What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011 10:26:01 AM »

That is such a cool idea with the flowers and the conduit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
PrincessPickles
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011 10:43:34 AM »

Beautiful!  And I can't tell you enough how great it is to be a kid with a mom who can decorate, when your kids get older their friends will be very jealous! I love the ends of the curtain rods, looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acraftyjean
Wasabi Snobby~ It's green and it's hot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011 10:55:53 AM »

I really love the rod and the colors you used.  Just gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled repurposed denim and such for handmade accessories!
coloringmyworld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011 11:12:20 AM »

That is such a cool idea with the flowers and the conduit.

Thanks! I am kinda proud of myself for that one! LoL Cheesy

Beautiful!  And I can't tell you enough how great it is to be a kid with a mom who can decorate, when your kids get older their friends will be very jealous! I love the ends of the curtain rods, looks great.

That is so ecouraging  Smiley Thank you  Smiley  I hope that they'll love it more than loath it! I can hear it now...
"Can't we just buy it mom?"  "No! I can make it for so much less!" "Mom! Please! You're so embarrassing!"  "By embarrassing, you mean cool, I'm sure."
Lol! 

I really love the rod and the colors you used.  Just gorgeous!

Thanks!  It was kinda a thrifty accident  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BringMeThunder
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011 11:19:47 AM »

Wow, this is spectacular.  I like what you did with the curtains, but I especially love the Masonite idea!  That's a great solution for my hideous dining area carpet, I've got to try it.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly."
Franz Kafka
coloringmyworld

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011 06:35:08 AM »

Wow, this is spectacular.  I like what you did with the curtains, but I especially love the Masonite idea!  That's a great solution for my hideous dining area carpet, I've got to try it.  Thanks for sharing!

Yes!!  Do it!  I am so happy with it! Although, I need to tape the pieces together somehow or put a rubber mat or something under it to keep them from migrating as we walk on them throughout the week.  Make sure you put several coats of polyeurothane on it to protect your paint and keep it from scratching Smiley  I think you'll enjoy it Smiley 
Thanks too, for the compliment  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...