A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern etiquette?  (Read 592 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ZenMonkey
Addicted to floss

This is Zen. She's a monkey.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2011 04:16:48 PM »

Now that I'm considering designing my own patterns & setting up shop at Etsy, I have some questions. Is there an overall rule when it comes to selling a finished piece that was designed by someone else? I do have some patterns that specify no selling, so I can follow their preferences, but what if I have a pattern and no explicit instructions? I'd eventually like to sell my own patterns on Etsy (which will detail my policies on this), but suppose it's a pattern by someone I have no contact with? Is the default *not* to sell finished pieces, or is it usually okay unless stated otherwise?

Thanks for your help. Of course I'm 100% clear on not sharing or selling other people's patterns, but the rest seems unclear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Newly-Nerfed.net is a place for skepticism, disability, and assorted geekery. Or visit my cross-stitch photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/thezenmonkey/.
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011 05:14:41 PM »

If it is a commercial pattern, then you can usually find the source online and view their policies on selling finished pieces.  If it is a vintage pattern, then selling finished work is usually fine.  Companies like Urban Threads encourage selling finished pieces using their patterns, where many other companies discourage it.  Other artists are fine with it as long as you give credit to them in your listing.  Some sell commercial-use licenses to those who would want to sell.  As you can see, there is no single answer.
I, personally, do not allow selling of finished work using my free patterns unless the stitcher contacts me first to ask permission.
Providing that the artist is still alive, there is always a way to find out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
ZenMonkey
Addicted to floss

This is Zen. She's a monkey.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011 10:34:16 PM »

Ah, I see. So there really isn't one hard and fast rule. Thanks for that information.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Newly-Nerfed.net is a place for skepticism, disability, and assorted geekery. Or visit my cross-stitch photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/thezenmonkey/.
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011 07:09:09 AM »

There are a few threads on this topic...here is one of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChrisWDesigns
ChrisW Designs

ChrisW Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011 09:12:47 PM »

Save yourselves a headache and support designers who actually DO welcome you to make and SELL items made from their patterns! There are plenty of them around if you start looking for them! Smiley Me included!
Cheers,
Christine
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Luminosity to an Image
Adding Subtle Colors to a Black and White Image in Lightroom
How to Backup Your Photos on Location
Image Search Engine Walkthrough
Split Toning in Lightroom
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...