A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone come across a pattern or made a dress like this before?  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kjc2488
« on: August 01, 2011 02:21:36 PM »

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.182964211.jpg

Hi guys,

Admittedly just joined, although I've been following you guys for a while. You guys make some amazing stuff! Keep them coming, you guys inspire me to make huge messes and hopefully something salvageable comes out of it! My aunt is a seamstress and I've been meaning to start learning the basics of sewing for a while, and for the time being I'm gathering as many practice patterns as I can to start learning the basics/mechanics of how clothing is put together. Hopefully I'm not asking for too much, but have any of you guys ever made a dress like the one I've linked? Or possibly come across a pattern like this before? I have looked and can't find much but I'll continue to look and post if I find anything. Just thought I'd see if anyone had come across this before. I certainly don't expect anyone to put together a tutorial or anything. Thanks in advance! BTW, really cute dress right? Smiley
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011 02:23:49 PM by Kjc2488 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011 03:45:35 PM »

Similar:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=116569.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halohalodesigns
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011 05:07:45 PM »

I've made a couple of dresses similar to the top on the right.  Very simple construction and you can pretty much whip one up in a couple of hours without the use of a pattern. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muchness
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011 04:46:48 AM »

Are you specifically looking for something that has the little crossover? Because I have a "pattern" (I say "pattern" because it's basically rectangles sewn together) for one without that crossover
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JohnathanD
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011 01:12:28 PM »

As muchness said, it is basically juts rectangles. Assuming that the back is the same as the front, it can be made from 2 different sized rectangles (as the lace layers just take the basic one and get longer.) Cut two rectangles to half of however full you want it plus seam allowances, or if you want one back seam instead of the two side seams, cut it to the full measurement, plus seam allowances. I would suggest adding all of the lace to one other layer to make it lighter. To me, it looks like the encasing for the elastic was sewn into the layers rather than adding and sewing in an encasing for it. For the top part, it looks like they use two layers, but if you are using a fabric without a "wrong" side, you could just double the width you want the straps/arms and do a top stitch. For the straps in the left picture it is just 4 rectangles of however long you need with the width being half of the width of the skirt part+however much you want to overlap to be (with seam allowances.) I'm not sure if those are bows or knots on that version, but be sure that you leave enough length on the strap parts to tie it. For the one on the right you can use a trapezoid or a rectangle, but a trapezoid would take less math. The diagonal portion of the trapezoid would be half of the bottom measurement+the overlap. The other parts would be the length needed to go from the front to the back. again it's pretty simple. I can send you a picture of pieces if this is confusing, and it probably is.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011 01:41:18 PM »

to me, it sounds like you could make the entire thing as JohnathanD said.

The 'version' on the left appears to  be exactly the same shirt/dress, only with ties around the sleeves, gathering them together at the top. The ties could be a separate piece that you use only when you want the sleeves gathered, or you could sew it in the middle inside or closer to the neck edge so that it can be used to tie when you desire, or can be hidden underneath the sleeves when not gathered.

if you make one, let us see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Kjc2488
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011 02:52:13 PM »

Thanks so much everyone! I will see if I can tackle this with my little to no skill arsenal. And you were absolutely right and I should have mentioned that to begin with, that the two dresses are the same just with a tie of some sort on the sleeves of the left picture. I'm more interested in the big flowy sleeves anyway. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JXsMommy
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011 12:21:45 AM »

I think that you're covered as far as suggestions go Wink But I want to say, that top/dress is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing it because I think I'm going to have to make one for myself Grin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011 12:28:29 AM by JXsMommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Fruit Crumble Recipe
How to Make a Clafouti
Delicious and Easy Cookie Butter
Make This Slacker Toffee
How to Make Creme Brulee Without a Torch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...