A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pinafore construction  (Read 835 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixidance
« on: August 01, 2011 10:16:46 AM »

I'm planning on making an Alice costume for my 2 year old for Halloween.  I'm having a hard time visualizing how the pinafore is constructed in the back.  Her hair covers it the entire film and all of the pictures I see of pinafores are from the front.  Does anyone have a pattern that can tell me what the back looks like?  Does it go all the way to the waist in the back or is it more like an apron?

This is what I have in mind

and here is Alice

I can see that it is wide at the shoulders and seems to go down the back...maybe?

So, any ideas?  Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011 10:25:12 AM »

I believe they are more like aprons. The idea of the pinafore was to keep the fabric of the dress protected.  I have seen both a type that is the same at front and back, though I think they tied at the sides. If it were me, I would do it so the front turned into straps that crossed in the back, and tied at the waist in the back. Though, after looking at it a bit more, in the picture of the movie you posted, it doesn't look like that skirt part even goes all the way around the body. It's hard to tell..
And I just noticed you said 2 year old.  I would go with the apron type and not have too much fabric in the front skirt panel.  The more fabric, the harder to move around in.  Unless your planning a crinolin too.  It would help to keep all the fabric from tangling around her legs.
Best of luck!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011 10:28:39 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
klnelson11
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011 08:50:57 PM »

if you're making this for a 2yo, i recommend making it a mock pinafore.  making a separate piece that ties the way a true pinafore does, would make the dress a pain for her and you.  for reference, simplicity makes a nice looking disney licensed  pattern for this dress, in munchkin sizes.  good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixidance
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011 09:17:20 AM »

Thanks for the input!

I definitely plan on a crinoline as well Smiley

Out of curiosity, why would a mock pinafore be less of a pain than a true one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011 10:33:21 AM »

If there is a lot of fabric, the lairs can get tangled up.  And the pinafore could get twisted the other direction, and end up being constricting.  So if the pinny is attached to the dress, this is less likely to happen.  And the smaller the body the more likely it will happen.  Crinolin, over dress and pinny are a lot of fabric on a tiny body.  You could use some hook and eye or snaps to help to keep the pinafore in place, if you don't want it permanent on the dress.  It depends a bit on how long she will be wearing it too.

And a bit more advise on the crinoline.  Get the softest netting you can.  If it's scratchy at all, she may not want to wear it.  Rub it on your cheek to see how scratchy it is before you buy it.  And if you use some bias tape to finish the edge, it will help to poof it out and keep it from clinging around her legs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
pixidance
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011 05:25:47 PM »

Thanks for the tips, suereal Smiley  I appreciate it.  She has a little crinoline but it's getting short on her.  Since it still fits her around, I'm considering just adding some froof to the bottom to lengthen it.  Is bridal tulle pretty soft?  The only fabric store I have around here is Joanne's and I was thinking of ordering some tulle from online.  If I know the right name then I'm more likely to get the soft kind.  Thanks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011 06:27:36 PM »

I'm sorry I don't know the name of what I'm thinking of.  There is one type that has smaller holes and tends to be softer.  That may be bridal tulle...not sure though.  I suggest you call the store and ask to talk to the manager about it...not just who ever answers.  I worked at a fabric store for 2 years and it is surprising how little some of the folks who work there know about fabric (even though I don't know the tulle question LOL).  Even an assistent manager is a better bet then someone who works the till.  I have some that is small holes, soft and sparkly.  You could definitely add another row of gathers to her current crinoline.  That would help a bunch to poof it out even more.  You would not even need to gather it in much I think, just enough to add the length I think Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Iconic Golden Globes Gowns!
How to Wear Whatever You Want Without Risking a Slip!
How to Get Cleavage Without the Padded Bra
Have You Ever Seen Nicole Richie Look This Cool?
Fashion Friendly Winter Coats Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...