A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record shelf revamped with backstage passes (*updated, now pic heavy)  (Read 1451 times)
Tags for this thread: shelf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

visual muse-ic

Some pursue happiness, others create it

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2011 04:54:33 PM »

I found this old beat up bookshelf with a drawer at Goodwill for a few bucks and have been trying to figure out what to do with it for a while. My fiancee just moved in a beautiful vintage bubbler jukebox into our living room and I thought my retro looking vinyl/cd player would fit beautifully next to it and it needed a stand.
Here's what I started with:

I wish the shelf part was just slightly taller so the albums could be stacked vertically and flipped through more easily, but they fit just right stacked on top of each other. I usually make a lot of things using my own ticket stub collection but since the vinyl was mostly great old albums that my dad gave me, I decided to decoupage the drawer with backstage passes from his collection.
I made color reproductions of his passes, shrunk a few of them down to fill the space better, and used mod podge sealed with a few coats of polyurethane.

I love how it turned out and think it looks perfect in our little music corner!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011 12:10:57 PM by visual muse-ic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

miknessevie
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011 06:28:27 PM »

wow! great job.  Love how it turned out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you'd like to swap for some good clean fun, pm me!  I make cold processed goats milk soap and shampoo bars.

www.wists.com/miknessevie
muyhippie
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011 11:26:38 AM »

Very, very cool piece!  A word of caution, however, from one LP-junkie to another:

Stacking LPs directly on top of each other as they appear in the photo can cause warping, splintering and other damage to your precious discs.  Over time, the weight of the stack serves as a source of pressure which will eventually warp your records.  I understand that the specifics of the piece don't allow you to stand the records upright, but just thought you might like to know - that said, I LOVE the back-stage passes all over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
visual muse-ic

Some pursue happiness, others create it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011 11:27:45 AM »

Thanks for the comments, and the storage tip! Luckily I didn't have them stacked that way for long- it only took one day of being frustrated that I couldn't easily flip through them that I pulled them out and started using it to store my cassettes/tape player, cd books, and my old ticket stub covered laptop. I think it's a great way of organizing the rest of my music media- but wasn't sure what to do about my records and player...

current set-up:

close-up of laptop lid:

...until I was walking my dog past the school across the street this morning and they had this shelving unit next to the dumpster! Woo! It's completely perfect for storing my whole collection of records (not just the portion that I could fit in the shelf before) with them stacked vertically! Can't wait to get it refinished and find a spot for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaddyB88
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011 01:29:14 PM »

Waw!! Thats so clever! and such a good idea if you want to keep all your old tickets for memories too. Love it! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Lover of personal swaps! <3
 Harry Potter Personal Swap Please?!
lil_hel
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011 05:17:53 AM »

That looks amazing! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KristenNicole
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011 08:18:33 PM »

This is a great project!  It looks great in your music corner.  I want to see your record shelf when you are done with it.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classical Oil Painting Lesson
Painting Lesson - Beautiful Grey
How to Paint Peaches
How to Paint the Ocean
How to Paint Apples
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...