A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quality Art Supplies  (Read 762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizabiz08
KniftyKnitterChick

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2011 05:22:24 PM »

My 12 year old niece's birthday is coming up, she loves to draw. So she'll be getting art supplies, however I don't know a whole lot. So what's a brand you like, what do you like that they make. I want to get her more "grown up supplies" not like crayola or rose art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wife to 1 (8/26/12)
Mama to 1 boy (3/6/11) and 3 fur children (01/05/10), adopted (3/18/13) and adopted (8/4/13)

~Current Swaps~
Vegimeat
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011 10:51:06 PM »

DickBlick.com is definitely a great website to get quality supplies from, for less! When I was younger, I loved colored pencils, my favorite being Faber Castell and Prismacolors (prisma's are more waxy than Faber Castell's). I also worked a lot with markers, mainly COPIC's, but I hear that Prismacolor markers are good, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelleBeryl
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011 12:51:02 PM »

www.jerrysartarama.com personally I like Faber-Castell , Caran d Ache and Derwent for coloured pencils and for crayons Sennelier is one of the best , but for a 12 year old you should get safe supplies healthwise and the quality adult items well pencils should be safe enough but pastels give dust so perhaps oil pastels would be safer , no foods no beverages good ventilation
wash hands after using supplies etc another site to look is www.artifolk.co.uk they have Derwent inktense blocks  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011 12:52:03 PM by BelleBeryl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Memebox coupon code V952 usd 5.00 valid october.
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012 03:50:21 PM »

What kind of drawing does she enjoy most?  A nice set of Tombow or Pitt markers would be good if she loves using markers.  Definitely a book or two to teach her how to get the most out of her supplies, because great supplies without knowledge of how to make the most of them is just sad.  Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the best drawing book there is.

A student grade set of watercolors would be fun.  Prang makes an upgraded set of half pans.  I paid $10 on amazon.  Yarka makes a good student set, too for about that price.  Both are semi-moist so the color lifts better than the kid paints.  Any basic book of watercolor techniques would be essential, in order to have real fun with them.

I agree a nice set of colored pencils would be good.  I didn't know colored pencils could be so fun until I got good Prismacolors and used good (Stonehenge) paper.

Watercolor pencils are also fun.  She can draw with them and then use water to blend.  Kimberly makes some great, midrange price ones.  Derwent Inktense are expensive but very vibrant and fun. 

A nice sketching pencil set is easy to find.  I don't prefer any one brand over another.  For papers, I would try the Strathmore Visual Journals, both regular and watercolor.  Great quality paper and they're low in price.  Jerry's has a great deal on them.

I bought starter art supplies for several people on my list this Christmas.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
ironcityalchemy
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012 07:45:21 AM »

Too late for the original poster, but like the last comment, I would recommend art markers...professional, but an easy transition from what most kids are used to. Utrecht recently started making a store brand that are relatively affordable, and I really like the color selection and quality.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stacy Keibler and Jennifer Garner Go Sexy in Red and Black
How to Embellish Jeans
Lady Gaga Channels Elizabeth Hurley In Versace Dress
Fall Fashion Trends: Leather Is Back!
Kate Middleton Credited For Rise in Alexander McQueen Sales
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...