A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Placemats  (Read 7403 times)
Tags for this thread: weaving , placemat , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caroleella
« on: July 30, 2011 09:38:47 AM »

So these placemats were my final weaving project at school (Spring '10).  I had wanted to make placemats the whole year I took weaving, but I could never finagle a project's requirements into a placemat.  I'm not much into the "art" aspect of weaving.  I am much more enamored with the idea of creating a textile, a usable piece of cloth, when cloth is such a basic element of everyday life.  To me, creating cloth is like creating wood or water.  It's totally magical.

I don't even remember what the assignment was... I think it was something general like "use techniques from this semester."  I think I may have just said to my professor, "I really want to make placemats.  So I'm going to."

I also don't really remember the details of weaving this.  I wove on a four harness jack loom.  I think it's cotton?  It looks similar to the yarn I bought a couple weeks ago, which is 8/4 cotton carpet warp.  I got the pattern from The Handweaver's Pattern Directory, which is probably my favorite weaving resource.  The whole thing took about 20 hours from warp board to cutting off, but when I finally got weaving, each placemat only took about 45 minutes.  I wove four of them and had enough warp for at least two more, but by then it was 3AM the night before the final, and I wasn't staying haha.  Very glad I wasn't paying for that yarn!

Fake action shot #1

Fake action shot #2

Close up of the pattern.  You can also just barely see that my warp and weft yellows are very slightly different.  I ran out of the warp yellow and had to improvise.

Another shot of the pattern.  My favorite part is actually the red on red block.

Outdoor shot for a more accurate look at the color.  I never realized how wonky my edges are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwality570
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011 09:58:39 AM »

These are gorgeous!!!  I envy your weaving skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011 10:09:16 AM »

These are beautiful!  The texture looks so rich.  I hope you got a really good mark in this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011 11:44:48 AM »

Wow! The weaving is amazing, and the colors are great. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
francorios
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011 01:21:41 PM »

Bravo! Don't ever lose those placemats!

You will always look back on your first project!

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caroleella
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011 02:54:58 PM »

I hope you got a really good mark in this project!

The class was actually over a year ago, but I did get an A+ whoohoo!

Thanks for the kind words, guys, this is the first thing I've ever posted to Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011 08:53:56 PM »

these are lovely!

i am curious - since the class was over a year ago, are you missing the loom?  i spent 2 years sitting at a 6 harness loom in college and i miss it terribly! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
caroleella
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011 07:21:07 AM »

these are lovely!

i am curious - since the class was over a year ago, are you missing the loom?  i spent 2 years sitting at a 6 harness loom in college and i miss it terribly! 

I missed weaving SO MUCH once it was over.  I told my parents over and over last year that all I wanted for Christmas was a loom.  I was very careful to not mention anything else haha.  But alas, craigslist was not kind, and the looms my parents checked out were no good. 

Then, in March, I was gifted a loom by one of my former teacher's friends!  It's a cast-off counterbalance loom from when UMass Dartmouth upgraded their looms, and hasn't been used in YEARS.  It's in decent shape, but I'm still getting it to a usable condition.  The reed needs to be cleaned (I read soaking a warp in WD40 and weaving it off is a popular technique).  I need to make hooks for the pedals, since I'm definitely not retying them every time I want to change tie-ups, I've got to oil the pedals, I bought supplies and started work on a new warp board and raddle yesterday... but the loom was FREE so I really really can't complain haha.  Don't get me wrong, weaving is still an expensive hobby haha, but I think I've spent all the money I'll need to before I can start weaving, and I've spent less than 200 bucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011 07:32:20 AM »

these are lovely!

I missed weaving SO MUCH once it was over.  I told my parents over and over last year that all I wanted for Christmas was a loom.  I was very careful to not mention anything else haha.  But alas, craigslist was not kind, and the looms my parents checked out were no good. 

Then, in March, I was gifted a loom by one of my former teacher's friends!  It's a cast-off counterbalance loom from when UMass Dartmouth upgraded their looms, and hasn't been used in YEARS.  It's in decent shape, but I'm still getting it to a usable condition.  The reed needs to be cleaned (I read soaking a warp in WD40 and weaving it off is a popular technique).  I need to make hooks for the pedals, since I'm definitely not retying them every time I want to change tie-ups, I've got to oil the pedals, I bought supplies and started work on a new warp board and raddle yesterday... but the loom was FREE so I really really can't complain haha.  Don't get me wrong, weaving is still an expensive hobby haha, but I think I've spent all the money I'll need to before I can start weaving, and I've spent less than 200 bucks.

that's pretty awesome.  my dad offered to buy me a loom a few yars back, but we just do not have the space for what i really want.  i'm considering a tabletop loom now that we have a bit more space, but it's still not the same.  sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011 02:40:14 PM »

Beautiful! And I love your craft philosophy so much.
I'm a quilter and friends often say 'these are works of art' and I say 'no, they're better - they're CRAFT! you can use them every day!'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tequila-Soaked Pineapple on Grilled Pound Cake
How to Make Grilled Pineapple Skewers with Caramel Syrup Drizzle
Pear and Vanilla French Toast Bake Recipe
How to Make Grilled Pineapples with Coconut Ice Cream
Homemade Thin Mint Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...