A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Placemats  (Read 7465 times)
Tags for this thread: weaving , placemat , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caroleella
« on: July 30, 2011 09:38:47 AM »

So these placemats were my final weaving project at school (Spring '10).  I had wanted to make placemats the whole year I took weaving, but I could never finagle a project's requirements into a placemat.  I'm not much into the "art" aspect of weaving.  I am much more enamored with the idea of creating a textile, a usable piece of cloth, when cloth is such a basic element of everyday life.  To me, creating cloth is like creating wood or water.  It's totally magical.

I don't even remember what the assignment was... I think it was something general like "use techniques from this semester."  I think I may have just said to my professor, "I really want to make placemats.  So I'm going to."

I also don't really remember the details of weaving this.  I wove on a four harness jack loom.  I think it's cotton?  It looks similar to the yarn I bought a couple weeks ago, which is 8/4 cotton carpet warp.  I got the pattern from The Handweaver's Pattern Directory, which is probably my favorite weaving resource.  The whole thing took about 20 hours from warp board to cutting off, but when I finally got weaving, each placemat only took about 45 minutes.  I wove four of them and had enough warp for at least two more, but by then it was 3AM the night before the final, and I wasn't staying haha.  Very glad I wasn't paying for that yarn!

Fake action shot #1

Fake action shot #2

Close up of the pattern.  You can also just barely see that my warp and weft yellows are very slightly different.  I ran out of the warp yellow and had to improvise.

Another shot of the pattern.  My favorite part is actually the red on red block.

Outdoor shot for a more accurate look at the color.  I never realized how wonky my edges are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwality570
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011 09:58:39 AM »

These are gorgeous!!!  I envy your weaving skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011 10:09:16 AM »

These are beautiful!  The texture looks so rich.  I hope you got a really good mark in this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011 11:44:48 AM »

Wow! The weaving is amazing, and the colors are great. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
francorios
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011 01:21:41 PM »

Bravo! Don't ever lose those placemats!

You will always look back on your first project!

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caroleella
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011 02:54:58 PM »

I hope you got a really good mark in this project!

The class was actually over a year ago, but I did get an A+ whoohoo!

Thanks for the kind words, guys, this is the first thing I've ever posted to Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011 08:53:56 PM »

these are lovely!

i am curious - since the class was over a year ago, are you missing the loom?  i spent 2 years sitting at a 6 harness loom in college and i miss it terribly! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
caroleella
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011 07:21:07 AM »

these are lovely!

i am curious - since the class was over a year ago, are you missing the loom?  i spent 2 years sitting at a 6 harness loom in college and i miss it terribly! 

I missed weaving SO MUCH once it was over.  I told my parents over and over last year that all I wanted for Christmas was a loom.  I was very careful to not mention anything else haha.  But alas, craigslist was not kind, and the looms my parents checked out were no good. 

Then, in March, I was gifted a loom by one of my former teacher's friends!  It's a cast-off counterbalance loom from when UMass Dartmouth upgraded their looms, and hasn't been used in YEARS.  It's in decent shape, but I'm still getting it to a usable condition.  The reed needs to be cleaned (I read soaking a warp in WD40 and weaving it off is a popular technique).  I need to make hooks for the pedals, since I'm definitely not retying them every time I want to change tie-ups, I've got to oil the pedals, I bought supplies and started work on a new warp board and raddle yesterday... but the loom was FREE so I really really can't complain haha.  Don't get me wrong, weaving is still an expensive hobby haha, but I think I've spent all the money I'll need to before I can start weaving, and I've spent less than 200 bucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011 07:32:20 AM »

these are lovely!

I missed weaving SO MUCH once it was over.  I told my parents over and over last year that all I wanted for Christmas was a loom.  I was very careful to not mention anything else haha.  But alas, craigslist was not kind, and the looms my parents checked out were no good. 

Then, in March, I was gifted a loom by one of my former teacher's friends!  It's a cast-off counterbalance loom from when UMass Dartmouth upgraded their looms, and hasn't been used in YEARS.  It's in decent shape, but I'm still getting it to a usable condition.  The reed needs to be cleaned (I read soaking a warp in WD40 and weaving it off is a popular technique).  I need to make hooks for the pedals, since I'm definitely not retying them every time I want to change tie-ups, I've got to oil the pedals, I bought supplies and started work on a new warp board and raddle yesterday... but the loom was FREE so I really really can't complain haha.  Don't get me wrong, weaving is still an expensive hobby haha, but I think I've spent all the money I'll need to before I can start weaving, and I've spent less than 200 bucks.

that's pretty awesome.  my dad offered to buy me a loom a few yars back, but we just do not have the space for what i really want.  i'm considering a tabletop loom now that we have a bit more space, but it's still not the same.  sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011 02:40:14 PM »

Beautiful! And I love your craft philosophy so much.
I'm a quilter and friends often say 'these are works of art' and I say 'no, they're better - they're CRAFT! you can use them every day!'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Decorate a Plain Ivy Swag
How To Make a Bow Using #40 Satin Ribbon
How To Make a Hand-Tied Tulip Arrangement
How To Make a Double Bow
How To Make a Cascading Bouquet
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...