A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 307,985
Currently Running With Scissors:
296 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basket+Skirt=Pendant Lamp  (Read 1172 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiorinda
« on: July 30, 2011 08:45:44 AM »

I made a lamp this week!.  I am very proud of myself.  I've been looking for just the right lamp for my room, but was having no luck at the thrift stores, so I decided I would make one with the goal of not spending any money.  I almost made it.  Here is the finished product

I started with things from my stash:  A swag kit I've had for at least 5 years, and a basket I got on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $3 a long time ago.

But the basket doesn't really match my room, so I started looking for things to cover it, and found the bottom section of a vintage velvet dress I bought a few months ago for less than $1.00.  I had already cut it up to make a purse for a swap package, but the bottom hem and the gathered portion were intact.  I cut it just above the seam line, then hot glued it to the basket.  To cover the messy cut at the top, I dug some vintage crochet trim from my stash and used silk pins to pin it to the basket.  This way I can reuse the trim at a later date and not have to worry about it unraveling.  It overlaps a little, but I keep that part turned to the back.

I wasn't entirely happy with the way it looked hanging down, so I took some more pins and pinned it up inside the basket(see first picture).  It gave it kind of a ruched texture that was a little more formal.

Here is a further back view(sorry for the slight blur)

Other info-
My swag kit did not come with the light socket, so I bought a replacement socket at Wal-Mart for about $3.00 and wired it myself!  Then, for safety reasons, I also purchased a led light bulb because they do not emit heat like incandescents and cfl's.  That ran me about $15.00--but I figured it was worth not burning down my house.  So it did end up costing me about $18.00, but I think it was worth it.  I am really happy to finally have my vanity table not cluttered with a lamp(just cluttered with crafting supplies  Wink). 

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

binkyrmt

Don't worry, it's just a plastic boob.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011 08:59:09 AM »

Cool!  It looks vintage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...