A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
236 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basket+Skirt=Pendant Lamp  (Read 1229 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiorinda
« on: July 30, 2011 08:45:44 AM »

I made a lamp this week!.  I am very proud of myself.  I've been looking for just the right lamp for my room, but was having no luck at the thrift stores, so I decided I would make one with the goal of not spending any money.  I almost made it.  Here is the finished product

I started with things from my stash:  A swag kit I've had for at least 5 years, and a basket I got on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $3 a long time ago.

But the basket doesn't really match my room, so I started looking for things to cover it, and found the bottom section of a vintage velvet dress I bought a few months ago for less than $1.00.  I had already cut it up to make a purse for a swap package, but the bottom hem and the gathered portion were intact.  I cut it just above the seam line, then hot glued it to the basket.  To cover the messy cut at the top, I dug some vintage crochet trim from my stash and used silk pins to pin it to the basket.  This way I can reuse the trim at a later date and not have to worry about it unraveling.  It overlaps a little, but I keep that part turned to the back.

I wasn't entirely happy with the way it looked hanging down, so I took some more pins and pinned it up inside the basket(see first picture).  It gave it kind of a ruched texture that was a little more formal.

Here is a further back view(sorry for the slight blur)

Other info-
My swag kit did not come with the light socket, so I bought a replacement socket at Wal-Mart for about $3.00 and wired it myself!  Then, for safety reasons, I also purchased a led light bulb because they do not emit heat like incandescents and cfl's.  That ran me about $15.00--but I figured it was worth not burning down my house.  So it did end up costing me about $18.00, but I think it was worth it.  I am really happy to finally have my vanity table not cluttered with a lamp(just cluttered with crafting supplies  Wink). 

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

binkyrmt

Don't worry, it's just a plastic boob.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011 08:59:09 AM »

Cool!  It looks vintage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Happy Little Tooth
Life is a Fairy Tale
Meatless Monday: VeGerman Salami

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...