A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly Christmas Sweater Swap!!!  (Read 11533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myklia
« on: July 30, 2011 07:38:08 AM »

I know all of you have always wanted a unique ugly Christmas sweater all your own.  So I think we can all help each other in creating one.  These are the details I am thinking.  I want to hear your opinions, this is not set in stone by any means.

Everyone obtains their own sweater/sweatshirt/tshirt/whatever to decorate.

You have two partners who you send 10 items to each of them and they each send 10 items to you to sew/glue/whatever on your Christmas sweater.  In the end you will have 20 items to add to your Christmas Sweater.

I am thinking starting sign ups on September 3rd and end them September 24th.  Send outs November 12th.

5 of the small items for each partner should be crafted.

Extras or more items should be discussed between partners.

Questions:

What adjustments would you make to the above?

I would require people post pictures of what they receive (or make arrangements for someone to post pictures for them), but should I also require that they post pictures of the done "sweater"?  Or at least arrange the items on the clothing article of choice and take a picture if they don't have time to permanently attach them to the clothing item?  The fun of this is to see an ugly Christmas sweater.

I appreciate all of your input.

Here is some inspiration:
http://www.killmydaynow.com/2010/12/collection-of-ugly-christmas-sweaters-21-pics.html/
This is the ultimate!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywt0GhaXuu0

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011 12:11:24 PM by myklia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011 07:39:36 AM »

I want most of this to be a discussion, but feel free to also post some inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RhymeswOrange
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011 08:34:01 AM »

This idea is hilarious.  I'm thinking that it would be most fun to see everyone wearing their finished ugly christmas sweater but I get the low on time at Christmas time thing.

What if you did a kind of round robin style?  Send your sweater to person one they add 10 things then sends to person two who adds their ten things then you get the mysterious sweater back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
myklia
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011 08:41:06 AM »

My only thing is that increases shipping costs for the swap, but it would be cool.  I would like to know what other people think about that.  Swap time could also be adjusted, maybe signups in August and send out mid October or something.  At that point I am still pretty flexible though and would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011 09:11:21 AM »

I think this idea is hilarious!
I do like your idea of sending ten things to 2 partners, but it sure would be scarier and more mysterious if you did it the way RhymeswOrange suggested (even if that meant spending a little more money on shipping). Maybe people should have the option of adding odd things, for example funny sleeves, hoods or pockets or turning a shirt into a dress? I also agree that every participant should have to post a picture actually wearing their .. ehm.. well.. thingy. I'd love to take part and have some ridiculous looking Christmas-y article of clothing Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011 04:54:36 PM »

I like the round-robin idea, but that'd be expensive sending a sweater 10 times round. We could always do a round-robin with just the items?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011 05:12:18 PM »

Well it would be sending two times.  This is how I would envision a round robin if I were to go that route.  Still two partners.  So A, B, C, D, E, F sign up.

A >  B > C > A

D > E >  F > D

I love the idea of being able to alter the clothing item if you wish (that would be an extra thing, not a requirement, I possibly wouldn't have the skills to do that), but I am concerned if someone flakes, then that clothing item is gone forever.  Do I make someone send another clothing item to get angeled?  Then what if they are flaked on again (rare, but it has happened), now they lost two items of clothing.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susanab

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011 05:30:33 PM »

Well it would be sending two times.  This is how I would envision a round robin if I were to go that route.  Still two partners.  So A, B, C, D, E, F sign up.

A >  B > C > A

D > E >  F > D

I love the idea of being able to alter the clothing item if you wish (that would be an extra thing, not a requirement, I possibly wouldn't have the skills to do that), but I am concerned if someone flakes, then that clothing item is gone forever.  Do I make someone send another clothing item to get angeled?  Then what if they are flaked on again (rare, but it has happened), now they lost two items of clothing.  Any ideas?

Maybe handle any flaking by having one angel decorate a sweatshirt that the angel would buy in the correct size?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011 05:32:04 PM by susanab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
myklia
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011 05:42:47 PM »

Well it would be sending two times.  This is how I would envision a round robin if I were to go that route.  Still two partners.  So A, B, C, D, E, F sign up.

A >  B > C > A

D > E >  F > D

I love the idea of being able to alter the clothing item if you wish (that would be an extra thing, not a requirement, I possibly wouldn't have the skills to do that), but I am concerned if someone flakes, then that clothing item is gone forever.  Do I make someone send another clothing item to get angeled?  Then what if they are flaked on again (rare, but it has happened), now they lost two items of clothing.  Any ideas?

Prob handle any flaking by just having one angel decorate a sweatshirt that the angel would buy in the correct size.

Pretty good idea, thank you.  Then the angel would just put on 20 tacky items. 

Now it just comes down to if people want to ship an article of clothing three times (1-mail their own clothing, 2-mail partner 1 clothing, 3-mail partner 2 clothing).  Actually we would need 3 send dates for each one.  It would be imparative that people send on time.  It would be best if people send within their own countries.  I have had some very long wait times with Canada and Australia.  I don't want to make it USA only. 

I could let people choose partners in the questionnaire, especially out of country.  I would just hope that those that don't have chosen partners that it works out.  Of course there is a risk anyways that my partner list would not be divisible by three, but I could then PM people and work it out.

I'm just trying to think about running a smooth swap.  I don't know if it will be a big turnout or not, but I don't want to limit the number of people that can sign up if possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011 07:07:10 PM »

I love the idea of this! I'd be also happy with a simplified version where you ugly up a sweater for your partner with supplies you have or buy - instead of sending the 10 items. I say this only because postage is really expensive internationally!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Spot Healing Brush Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Composite with the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Pushing Pixels with the Smudge Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Sponge Tool
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...