A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly Christmas Sweater Swap!!!  (Read 11829 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myklia
« on: July 30, 2011 07:38:08 AM »

I know all of you have always wanted a unique ugly Christmas sweater all your own.  So I think we can all help each other in creating one.  These are the details I am thinking.  I want to hear your opinions, this is not set in stone by any means.

Everyone obtains their own sweater/sweatshirt/tshirt/whatever to decorate.

You have two partners who you send 10 items to each of them and they each send 10 items to you to sew/glue/whatever on your Christmas sweater.  In the end you will have 20 items to add to your Christmas Sweater.

I am thinking starting sign ups on September 3rd and end them September 24th.  Send outs November 12th.

5 of the small items for each partner should be crafted.

Extras or more items should be discussed between partners.

Questions:

What adjustments would you make to the above?

I would require people post pictures of what they receive (or make arrangements for someone to post pictures for them), but should I also require that they post pictures of the done "sweater"?  Or at least arrange the items on the clothing article of choice and take a picture if they don't have time to permanently attach them to the clothing item?  The fun of this is to see an ugly Christmas sweater.

I appreciate all of your input.

Here is some inspiration:
http://www.killmydaynow.com/2010/12/collection-of-ugly-christmas-sweaters-21-pics.html/
This is the ultimate!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywt0GhaXuu0

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011 12:11:24 PM by myklia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011 07:39:36 AM »

I want most of this to be a discussion, but feel free to also post some inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011 08:34:01 AM »

This idea is hilarious.  I'm thinking that it would be most fun to see everyone wearing their finished ugly christmas sweater but I get the low on time at Christmas time thing.

What if you did a kind of round robin style?  Send your sweater to person one they add 10 things then sends to person two who adds their ten things then you get the mysterious sweater back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
myklia
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011 08:41:06 AM »

My only thing is that increases shipping costs for the swap, but it would be cool.  I would like to know what other people think about that.  Swap time could also be adjusted, maybe signups in August and send out mid October or something.  At that point I am still pretty flexible though and would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011 09:11:21 AM »

I think this idea is hilarious!
I do like your idea of sending ten things to 2 partners, but it sure would be scarier and more mysterious if you did it the way RhymeswOrange suggested (even if that meant spending a little more money on shipping). Maybe people should have the option of adding odd things, for example funny sleeves, hoods or pockets or turning a shirt into a dress? I also agree that every participant should have to post a picture actually wearing their .. ehm.. well.. thingy. I'd love to take part and have some ridiculous looking Christmas-y article of clothing Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011 04:54:36 PM »

I like the round-robin idea, but that'd be expensive sending a sweater 10 times round. We could always do a round-robin with just the items?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011 05:12:18 PM »

Well it would be sending two times.  This is how I would envision a round robin if I were to go that route.  Still two partners.  So A, B, C, D, E, F sign up.

A >  B > C > A

D > E >  F > D

I love the idea of being able to alter the clothing item if you wish (that would be an extra thing, not a requirement, I possibly wouldn't have the skills to do that), but I am concerned if someone flakes, then that clothing item is gone forever.  Do I make someone send another clothing item to get angeled?  Then what if they are flaked on again (rare, but it has happened), now they lost two items of clothing.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susanab

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011 05:30:33 PM »

Well it would be sending two times.  This is how I would envision a round robin if I were to go that route.  Still two partners.  So A, B, C, D, E, F sign up.

A >  B > C > A

D > E >  F > D

I love the idea of being able to alter the clothing item if you wish (that would be an extra thing, not a requirement, I possibly wouldn't have the skills to do that), but I am concerned if someone flakes, then that clothing item is gone forever.  Do I make someone send another clothing item to get angeled?  Then what if they are flaked on again (rare, but it has happened), now they lost two items of clothing.  Any ideas?

Maybe handle any flaking by having one angel decorate a sweatshirt that the angel would buy in the correct size?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011 05:32:04 PM by susanab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
myklia
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011 05:42:47 PM »

Well it would be sending two times.  This is how I would envision a round robin if I were to go that route.  Still two partners.  So A, B, C, D, E, F sign up.

A >  B > C > A

D > E >  F > D

I love the idea of being able to alter the clothing item if you wish (that would be an extra thing, not a requirement, I possibly wouldn't have the skills to do that), but I am concerned if someone flakes, then that clothing item is gone forever.  Do I make someone send another clothing item to get angeled?  Then what if they are flaked on again (rare, but it has happened), now they lost two items of clothing.  Any ideas?

Prob handle any flaking by just having one angel decorate a sweatshirt that the angel would buy in the correct size.

Pretty good idea, thank you.  Then the angel would just put on 20 tacky items. 

Now it just comes down to if people want to ship an article of clothing three times (1-mail their own clothing, 2-mail partner 1 clothing, 3-mail partner 2 clothing).  Actually we would need 3 send dates for each one.  It would be imparative that people send on time.  It would be best if people send within their own countries.  I have had some very long wait times with Canada and Australia.  I don't want to make it USA only. 

I could let people choose partners in the questionnaire, especially out of country.  I would just hope that those that don't have chosen partners that it works out.  Of course there is a risk anyways that my partner list would not be divisible by three, but I could then PM people and work it out.

I'm just trying to think about running a smooth swap.  I don't know if it will be a big turnout or not, but I don't want to limit the number of people that can sign up if possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011 07:07:10 PM »

I love the idea of this! I'd be also happy with a simplified version where you ugly up a sweater for your partner with supplies you have or buy - instead of sending the 10 items. I say this only because postage is really expensive internationally!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011 07:52:49 PM »

But that doesn't make sense.  I am thinking it would be cheaper to send each partner 10 small items to uglify their sweater than mail the sweater with the 10 items on it.  Am I misunderstanding?  Either way you are sending 10 items, either without the sweater or with the sweater.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011 07:53:56 PM by myklia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011 07:55:47 PM »

But that doesn't make sense.  I am thinking it would be cheaper to send each partner 10 small items to uglify their sweater than mail the sweater with the 10 items on it.  Am I misunderstanding?  Either way you are sending 10 items, either without the sweater or with the sweater.

ooooohh I misread! Oops! Sorry!!

I thought that we were sending 10 items to a person they would incorporate them onto a sweater and THEN send the sweater back. My fault.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011 07:58:47 PM »

Okay, good to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011 08:02:11 PM »

I definitely would rather have someone uglify the sweater for me! I'm afraid that if I received the items to add that I just wouldn't make it ugly enough. If I was working on a sweater for someone else, I would have no hesitation in making it absolutely tacky looking!

So, maybe to cut down on shipping, we send a sweater or sweatshirt to one partner, who decorates it and sends it back. Maybe we could also send along 5 items as potential decorations, with the stipulation that our partner has to use at least 3 of them, in addition to the items that they have to add (10? 20 seems like a lot).

Or, instead of shipping a sweater, you'd get your partners size and find an inexpensive sweater or sweatshirt to alter. That way you'd only have to ship the decorated sweater. Maybe it could be an option... I know I have a sweater I can send, but I also know I could find a cheap sweatshirt (and probably sweater, too). Also, I wouldn't mind if the sweater was thrifted (as long as it was clean and didn't have that thrift store funky smell Smiley ).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
myklia
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011 08:57:19 PM »

I am sadly very large and I fear someone getting something too small.  So how about this then:

• One partner
  • You send your clothing item (doesn't have to be a sweater, sometime t-shirts/sweatshirts/vests/other shirts or items may be easier to find or you want something other than a sweater).
  • Your partner then uglifies it as they please, but say does a minimum of ___ things to it (what do people think is a reasonable number?).  That could include painting (say paint ___ number of motifs on it), attaching applique (embroidery/knit/crochet/whatever) to it, or other items.  Can include altering clothing item such adding a hood, that would be one thing. 
  • There would be two send dates.  One date to send your item to be uglified to your partner and another date for your partner to send it back.

Let me know your thoughts.  

Also let me know what you prefer as far as sign ups and send out dates so it doesn't interfere too much with the upcoming holidays.  Would you prefer sign ups for say three weeks in August with send outs in mid October or sign ups in September with final send out in mid November?  

The first send out, when you send out your item to your partner would be maybe a couple days or I'm thinking a week after sign ups end.  The reason is then you have a chance to talk to your partner, it might influence what clothing item you send to them, if not, you can also send your clothing item right after partners are assigned..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011 09:00:54 PM by myklia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011 02:19:02 AM »

I think, even though having your sweater twisted by only one person is a little less mysterious, it's probably a little more doable. As far as shipping time goes, as long as I don't exceed the 2 kilo ( 4 pounds) limit, it'll take one week to ship it to the U.S. while sending something the other way seems to take more than 3 weeks....
I'd love to take part and get an american-style-crazy-Christmas-sweater Grin I like craftADDchick's idea- I think the minimum of 10 things is great with the idea of sending a number of 5 extras, out of which your partner should have to use at least 3.. That sounds like a whole lot of fun. Grin
If you incorporate international swapping, sign-ups and the first shipping date should be as early as possible, just to make sure you don't have to wear the thing in January Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011 05:51:51 AM »

I'd like final send-outs to be closer to mid-November (definitely before Thanksgiving), and I'd like to have the sweater in hand by Columbus Day. The start of my school year this year is going to have some added stress, and having a long weekend on Columbus Day weekend would give me a chance to make a good dent in it.

But, since it's not all about me Wink whatever works best for everyone will be fine, I'm sure Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011 06:14:19 AM »

I like this, so as to work with the fact of international swappers.  Sign ups in the last three weeks of August (start next Saturday).  This way we can have one week discussion of the details (hmmmm...I will need to find something to have uglified Smiley).  Send out your item to your partner by the Saturday after labor day in the US (if not sooner, you decide)(I'm not looking up the exact dates at the moment, but it would be early September).  Then your partner would send it back to you late October/early November.  Hopefully then everyone will have at least a month, if not more, to uglify the clothing item.  Hopefully the send out will be early enough for people to receive by Thanksgiving in the US.  I will look at exact dates later. (Eh, Sunday morning and I'm relaxing with the computer and the newspaper Wink).

I'd love to take part and get an american-style-crazy-Christmas-sweater Grin

Awesome!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tookie Clothespin
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011 02:01:40 PM »

I've never done a swap, but this sounds fun! My school had an ugly Christmas sweater contest and it became epic
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fifilaru
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011 06:10:16 PM »

This is such a fabulous idea! My sister and I bought the ugliest Halloween vests as Savers last year. We should have gone for broke and purchased the hideous Christmas ones!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011 09:41:15 PM »

This is such a fun idea. We go to at least a couple of ugly xmas sweater parties every year!!

I'm going to keep an eye on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
myklia
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011 03:11:19 AM »

Great everyone, I'll try to post potential dates tonight or tomorrow night.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011 02:54:32 AM »

Suggested dates for the swap.

Deadline to send out your clothing item to your partner: Saturday September 3rd.

Deadline to send the uglified clothing item back to your partner: Saturday November 5th.

This gives over 2 months of craft time.  I will try to partner people within their countries as much as possible to save on shipping costs and time.  Some people may have to ship outside their countries.  Of course I'll have the question seeing if people are willing to ship outside their country.

How does everyone feel about this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011 05:18:30 AM »

Suggested dates for the swap.

Deadline to send out your clothing item to your partner: Saturday September 3rd.

Deadline to send the uglified clothing item back to your partner: Saturday November 5th.

This gives over 2 months of craft time.  I will try to partner people within their countries as much as possible to save on shipping costs and time.  Some people may have to ship outside their countries.  Of course I'll have the question seeing if people are willing to ship outside their country.

How does everyone feel about this?

I'd prefer sendouts to be slightly later as Nov 5 is right before my uni exams. But I realise that some people want their sweaters before Thanksgiving and international mail is sloooow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011 07:33:41 AM »

The dates are good for me, and I should even be able to send earlier than the Nov. 5th deadline.

And, did I already mention that I can co-organize, if you still need me to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011 09:09:23 AM »

Yay craftADDchick for coorganizing.  I will get in touch with you later.

Beckashell, when are your exams over?  I don't want the send too much later, but we'll see what I can do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011 10:26:40 PM »

Sometime within the next 24 hours I will start the sign ups.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011 08:12:00 AM »

Yay! I'm going to go and make sure my sweater is handy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011 08:42:20 AM »

Yeah, I still have to buy something, I will do so my next payday (the 15th).  I really want to find a long sleeve t shirt hoodie.  If someone knows where I can get a 3X one online, let me know.  The search hasn't been easy so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011 12:11:01 PM »

Swap has been started:  Cheesy

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387735.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Salma Hayek’s Beauty School: Easy Wavy Hair
How to Make Your Blowout Last the Entire Week
How to Achieve Ombre Hair Color At-Home
A Comb That Rids Frizz
Christo Shows How to Style Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...