A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garage sale find! 1941 Singer Sewing Machine! Now how do I thread it?  (Read 4549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 30, 2011 12:10:21 AM »

So, i had a fabulous find today! There was a garage sale going on in my apartment complex and the lady was selling two antique sewing machines. She wasn't sure if either of them worked, but the one I bought is a 1941 Singer Sewing Machine that comes attached to it's own table, with all of the presser feet and attachments. She also threw in some vintage spools of thread with thread on them and the original bobbins that came with it. I'm seriously contemplating going back tomorrow and getting the other sewing machine which she is selling for $100. It's older, but also beautiful. I'm definitely going to take the one I bought in to have it refurbished but I plugged it in and the light turns on! Yay! There is a short in the wire that prevents it from sewing which was expected seeing how old it is. So that's fine since it's going to the shop anyway.

Here's Betty!

The absolute best part? I bought it all for $40! Woohoo!

So, I do have a question. As it happens, it did not come with a manual. Does anyone have any idea how to thread this particular machine and how to wind the bobbin? I've seen a manual on ebay but I really don't want to pay that much if someone could just tell me.

Thanks ahead of time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011 01:36:45 AM »

If you can take some detailed pictures of the needle end of the machine and number the bits and like wise numbers for the support end I could probably work out some instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
fiddlegirl8
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011 05:44:43 AM »

I recently bought an older Singer at a garage sale, although not as old as yours - I got online at the "Singer" site and looked up stuff - It was pretty helpful.  Nice buy!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011 10:15:16 AM »

That is a gorgeous machine!  What a lucky find.  I really hope you find instructions for it soon.  I agree, though, contacting Singer may be a good first step.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011 10:44:32 AM »

I am definitely going to contact Singer. There's a shop in Sacramento near me that is a Singer refurbishment place and I'll be they know how to do it.

Antidigger - thank you so much! I will see about getting some pictures up of those spots in the next couple of days (I'm working crazy shifts this weekend). Thank you thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la_boricua
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011 09:11:04 AM »

Nice sewing machine! Here are some ideas on how to locate a sewing machine manual (hopefully for free):

First you'll need to know the model number.  Call Singer (1-800-474-6437) with your machine's serial number and they will  be able to tell you the model number. "On older models this can be determined by the machine's serial number...." That's the number on the gold plate right under the gold (oval) Singer seal. Once you know the model number, I would poke around and see about getting a free copy first. Try these sites:
(1) International Sewing Machine Collectors' Society
(2) Sew Classic blog
http://blog.sew-classic.com/categories/Classic%20Vintage%20Sewing%20Publications.aspx

Good luck and happy sewing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
de_sjiem
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011 03:58:47 PM »

I believe that is a 99K, but i'm not terribly familiar with singer models.. so i could be wrong...

if it is a 99K, your manual can be found here:
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/450_99.pdf

To find out the date of manufacture, and the model number of your machine for sure, you can go here to find that out based off your serial number

http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

Then you can go here, and put in your model number and you should be able to download your manual for free....

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals

I picked up a 27 treadle machine about a year ago or so, and I got the date of manufacture (i think its like 1912 or something crazy old) and a manual from the singer site... its all very helpful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jackielantern
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011 06:52:35 AM »

Hmm so over the weekend I found out that my mom still had my great grandma's sewing machine in the basement at my parent's lake house. Since it has been sitting there for years, she didn't mind that I took it home with me! And it happens to look exactly like yours... what letters does your serial number start with? I have the manual for mine and could let you know how to thread it and wind the bobbin if you aren't able to find a free one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Homemade Yaki Udon
How to Prepare Udon Noodle Dishes
How to Prepare Sushi Rice
How to Prepare Sushi Rolls
How To Prepare Korean Style Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...