A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookie Tin Purse Tutorial  (Read 33920 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project , cookie_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 18, 2004 09:15:49 AM »

Ok, we've all seen those adorable tin purses, made to look like lunchboxes and a slew of other things.  Well, why buy one when you can make one?

What you'll need:

A tin.  Whatever shape and size and color you want.  Mine is a cookie tin bank I got on clearance for $1 at the grocery store.

Two each of the following:
"Mirror Hangers" ($0.50 each at Menard's.  They were hard to find because I didn't know what they were called, and was trying to describe what I knew in my head they looked like.  Finally, a guy found them in a drawer near the picture hanging and hinges section.)
1/8" diameter nuts and matching bolts or screws (I got a package of 100 pieces for $2.99, also at Menard's.  I got 1/2" long screws because that was the shortest they had.  The shorter the better, but you'll probably be cutting off the excess anyway.)

Material and batting for a lining if you don't want your purse to clink and clank while you walk.  I spent $3 total for remants of material and batting, and used only a third of each piece for this purse, for a total material cost of $1.

A purse strap or handle.  I salvaged a clip off purse handle from a thrift store find, total $1.99.  You could as easily make a strap to your liking, or since purse-making is big right now, you can find funky chain and beaded straps at the craft stores.

Now then, to get started.

Punch or drill holes in your tin.  I eyeballed mine so they were just below where the lid sits and about opposite from each other on either side of the tin.  The size of the hole you drill will really depend on the size of screw or bolt you bought, which in turn will depend on the mirror hanger you bought.  In my items list above, I said 1/8" because the mirror hangers I found at Menard's had 1/8" holes.  If your mirror hangers differ, adjust the size of your nuts and bolts and the size hole you make.  I recommend drilling if you can because punching can bend your tin if you don't have the proper support.

Now, make your lining.  The lining will depend entirely on several things:  What size and shape of tin, whether you decided to use batting and your sewing skills or lack thereof.  For this purse, the lining is 100% sew-free.  I used iron-on adhesive tape.  It was tough with the batting, but my sewing machine is out of commission right now and I was anxious to finish it.  For future projects, I will sew my linings.  I'll leave the lining designs up to you, though, since they can be so specific to each project.  For this project, I had to punch holes in the lining as well, and the screws that hold the hangers on the outside also hold the lining up inside.

Now, screw the hangers on to the outside and fix your lining in place.  This is pretty self-explanatory.  I do, however, recommend tightening down the nut and screw with a wrench.  Next, you'll want to take a saw, bolt cutters or files and trim the excess screw off flush with the bolt.  This was especially important for my example because the purse opening is small.  On other types of tin, this might not be as big a deal.

Now, attach your strap, which was very easy in my case.  You could also use the lunch-box style handles if you wanted a hand-bag type purse and had the right style and size of tin.  They shouldn't be much different to attach, though you might need some extra rings or something.

And voila!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010 02:40:24 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
ksea
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004 12:07:10 PM »

Oh, so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xiuxiu
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004 12:14:35 PM »

Oh, that is so creative and cuuutteee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second-hand-smoke
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004 12:30:25 PM »

awesome awesome awesome!! what a great idea!! thanks for sharing (and thanks for telling me what those hanger things are called. i've been trying to figure that out for months!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004 12:58:32 PM »

Your welcome, SHS, it took me forever to find them, and I asked three different people at Menard's before one of them thought he knew what I was talking about.  And even then, they had them stored in those big drawer units, and he couldn't find them right away.  I just KNEW they existed, though, so I persevered.

I'm working on another similar project, but can't post it until after June.  It's meant for a birthday gift for my little sister, but she just joined here too, so I won't post it until after she gets it.  But keep your eyes out.   Grin
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004 12:58:57 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayray
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004 09:56:25 AM »

Hey great tutorial.  Thanks for taking the time to post it!  With your tin, you can drop your change right in through the slot in the top, heheh :)

You can purchase clip-things like the ones on your purse handle at a fabric store, although all the ones I've seen are plastic, and then attach them to a strip of webbing or something.

Another nice strap option would be to sew a skinny, sturdy strap, feed the ends through your mirror hangers, and then stitch or rivet the ends back to the strap.

I'm inspired, now!  Gotta find a nifty tin...

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004 11:48:16 AM »

Thanks guys!  It was fun to make, and I'm working on a couple of others using different styles of tins.  I'll try to post examples when I get them finished.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004 10:29:16 AM »

very cool. I've got some cool china-town type tins that could surely be made more interesting than as pencil holders!

thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004 11:56:55 AM »

Great tutorial!!  

the dollar stores all have really cute seasonla tins, it would be fun to make these for diff holidays &  seasons.   =)

Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004 07:27:53 PM »

TSB, I've been keeping my eye out at all the shops I go to, thrift stores, dollar stores, random other stores that may have tins somewhere...  I've decided that the "fruitcake" tins, the largish round ones that you can also get danish shortbread cookies in, would make cool canteen-style purses.  The lids would have to fit tight because they'd be carried on their sides, but I think they'd look nifty.  Have to get creative with a lining, though.  I'm working on that one.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bewitched

grab your glitter and your glue gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004 07:47:38 PM »

it would be cool if you could do a square tin on it's side like you were saying for the big round ones. you could put gussets in the sides somewhat like this book purse
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=76;action=display;threadid=2829
and attach a hinge at the bottom so the lid didn't come off, but would just open instead. that way you wouldn't have to worry about all of your stuff winding up on the floor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cast your spell... bewitched bath & body
http://www.bewitchedbubbles.com
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004 07:04:08 AM »

Sweet idea!

I've got a stash of tins and lunchboxes that I keep trinkets and supplies in, but this would be a great use, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004 01:24:21 PM »

Thank you so much!!!  Shocked Amazing purse, tutorial and a fab. idea!!! I so wish I would have seen this earlier (have been struggling with a very stubborn book-purse for over a week!) But at least now I know what to do with my ever-growing collection of tins!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004 06:56:12 PM »

That is so cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
Lilitha

~*~Hyper Kawaii Puff Ball~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004 03:33:46 PM »

Great idea and just a suggesting for making a tin purse that hangs on the side... like someone mentioned earlier... put hinges on the bottom...

I'm not sure if you can find these anywhere easily... but you can attatch a latch to the top... either ones that are held with a lock or not... I have a few tin purses I bought over the years and they all have this latch... generally they lock down on themselves... kinda like the ones on suitcases...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~I Fell In Love When I Fell Down The Stairs~*~
amelia bedelia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2004 04:39:30 PM »

that is such a good idea! i love it! where did you get that cookie jar? i dont know if they have them in this part of canada?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004 09:09:11 PM »

I was lucky.  It was left over from Christmas, and had animal crackers in it.  It was meant as a stocking stuffer or something, but I got it on clearance for $1.  I don't know if I've seen them before in the bank style.  I just happened to be looking for tins, and I just happened to find it.   Cheesy  And the animal crackers were yummy too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilitha

~*~Hyper Kawaii Puff Ball~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004 01:39:51 AM »

cookie tins are usually easier to find near holidays... thatz how I got my peter rabbit tin purse...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~I Fell In Love When I Fell Down The Stairs~*~
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004 04:57:27 PM »

So, not that I want to intice anyone into making something just like mine, but if anyone is interested in the canister-like tin/bank I used on this project, they still have them at the same grocery store, though by now the cookies inside are probably stale.  They have them in two colors for a buck each.  I'll pick them up and send them off if you like.  I'm going to have to buy myself a couple more just to have around, since they're kinda unique as far as tins go...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roxiemeow13
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004 05:08:28 PM »

OOoohhh  Cheesy  I love it! I have an old muppets tin that I wanted to do something with, and this would be perfect! Yay! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roxie
Look at the stars,
look how they shine for you,
and all the things you do.

http://www.roomwithamoose.com/goodies/icons/moose_rubber.gifwww.geocities.com/defdt
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2004 08:04:56 AM »

that is sooooo cute!  Grin  i luv the tin and making it into a bag was a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2004 08:28:23 PM »

You could glue felt for a liner as well.

Great Tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ollin

Write your personal text here

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2004 05:34:09 AM »

hey is very nice and simple, i quite like it!

yesterday @ school i found two rectangle shaped boxes for Amaretto(unluckily without the drink  Undecided ), but with beautiful images, i think one of them, at least will turn into a bag like yours Smiley

Thanks for the tips and the tut

Greets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything you can imagine is real.
                                  "Pablo Picasso"
bluehairedmary

Craft or Be Crafted!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2004 09:00:22 AM »

You could also try decoupaging different images onto the tin if you can't find a suitably cute tin.  Paint the tin for background and decoupage away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowan
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2004 11:48:23 AM »

hmm... I think I would like to make this out of a tinkertoys container.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2004 10:26:17 PM »

i love that, it is so cute but i dont know if they sell those kind of cookie tins where i live...up north in canada Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
jill
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2004 10:54:11 AM »

I loved this idea so much I had to make it right away! I had a tin from those rolled wafer cookies with cholocate inside. Great tin and the cookies were already gone (of course). I modified the design a little. I sprayed the outside of the tin with a clear sealer, to protect the paint. For lining, I used sticky-back felt, which I already had. I had to lay the main lining in vertical strips, because the big piece kept sticking to itself. But the strips worked really well. I cut circles for the insides of the lid and bottom. I inserted a strip of plain felt about 1"x4" under the sticky felt on the inside side and inside of the lid so it forms a hinge for the lid, but doesn't interfere with closing the tin. That way I don't have to hold the lid when I open the purse. Then, since I really wanted to complete the project, I just tied a long piece of ribbon to the mirror hangers for the strap. It looks so cute and I love it and the only expenses were the mirror hangers and screws! Thank you so much for this great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join me in my world, where the skies are always sunny
QueenofSwords

marty marty bo barty, bo-nana fana fo...uh oh....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2005 04:21:28 PM »

SO!  CUTE!!

I was going to post about the sticky felt and about using a piece of lining or leather to attach the lid from the inside, but I see people already did.  Another couple ideas I had were a) you could attach/sew pockets to the lining for pens and stuff, and b) it would be cute to glue a mirror on the inside of the lid.

Nice job!

Marty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yo, ye pharaohs! Let us walk through this barren desert, in search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers.
swisslymiss
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2005 08:40:19 PM »

That is so cute! This tut was awesome. I have a bunch of old square Toll House cookie tins that are just the perfect size for this. Plus, after looking at these pictures this morning, I tore apart the basement sorting through about eight gigantic boxes of material. I unearthed enough to make several bags on their own, let alone the lining for the tins. All I need is a nice long strap and I have everything! It's so awesome that you inspired me into action!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh how I love to blow bubbles down mainstreet!

"Summer has come and passed, the innocent can never last..." - Green Day
Stina
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2005 02:16:23 PM »

wow, that's cute! thank you for the great tutorial, darling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy & my blog
PM me for personal swaps
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2005 07:26:02 PM »

Wow!  I was sure this project had departed to the tombs of ancient Craftster lore!  Thanks for pulling it out and dusting it off, guys!  And thanks for the compliments.  I'm so glad you have been inspired.

I've been keeping my eyes out at thrift stores for "perfect" tins.  I've got a couple stashed about now that are squarish with hinged lids and really lovely designs (one that is fire-engine red with white orchids, the other a lovely cream color with asian designs) that I'm going to use.  I was hoping to find a couple more and then make a whole bunch at once, maybe to sell.  Now that I'm reminded of this topic, I'll have to post some pics when I'm finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShayBug
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013 08:02:39 PM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Soften Skin with Surface Blur in Photoshop
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 User Interface Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...