A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Year of Homemade Gifts! - 2011-2012 - Are YOU in?  (Read 71484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

idioskosmos
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2012 11:01:15 PM »

Well, tomorrow I begin my first handmade gifts in 2012!  The twins up the street are turning eight, and I'm going to make them aprons.

I'll post pics before I give them away Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: January 17, 2012 03:40:21 AM »

Sounds great idioskosmos!

My best friend is having her 3rd baby at the beginning of February, and I'm trying my hand at some embroidery. I'll post and let you all know how it goes (or doesn't!).

Hope everyone else is ramping up for this coming year of crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: January 17, 2012 10:33:05 PM »

sorry late pic of my third sister in laws pressie. my first sister in law has a set she bought in an end of line discount store so when SIL no.3 said she would like some especially in red, the store no longer sold them and they were no where to be found on the web...so i painted her this set Smiley

i am determined to be better organised this year Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: January 18, 2012 03:41:09 AM »

Maxxev - they're gorgeous! (as is everything you create). I hear ya on the being more organized though - 2012 for us, is the year of seeking Happiness and Organization. Not that cleaning/tidying/organizing makes me particularly happy.... but living in a clean and organized space does!

Question - are you using glass paint? (the kind you bake in your oven to set) or are you painting on the dishes and then firing them in a kiln? Just curious because your finishes always look so shiny and perfect.

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: January 18, 2012 06:35:32 AM »

thank you Smiley im using ceramic underglaze to paint the design, then a dunk in clear dipping glaze before its fired in the kiln. i havnt tried the ceramic paint you bake in an oven. i've tried one that air drys a few years ago and wasnt impressed Undecided. it was so thick and gloopy it was like trying to paint with old nail varnish Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: January 18, 2012 03:56:53 PM »

I am in LOVE with the mug maxxev!

I am toying with the idea of making a laptop sleeve for the bf from faux leather and some sort of internal padding. His is a 17" screen and it is pricey to buy one new. More than $40!

This might be an anniversary/V day gift since they are only 1 week apart. Hmm.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #586 on: January 18, 2012 07:27:28 PM »

The laptop sleeve sounds like a neat idea. You might even find a leather jacket or something at the thrift store to cut up for less than what faux leather costs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Kara B
« Reply #587 on: January 18, 2012 07:36:39 PM »

Maxxev:  Those are gorgeous!  Super impressed  Shocked

Hawkeyes_girl: a laptopsleeve sounds like a very good present.

My midwife told me to sew some rice pads that I can heat in the microwave or oven for myself.  Got to thinking that they would make nice gifts too.  They seem to be pretty easy to sew, and if I make some nice, personal pillowcases for them I think that would work well.

Also I need a bit of help from you crafty people.  One of my friends is turning 30, and in Norway there is a tradition that we give unmarried people a peppermill for their 30th birthday (we call a spinster a "pepper maid"). Does anyone have any good ideas for a pepper-related craft?  She's a computer geek, if that helps.

Here's my birthdaylist for the coming months.  Any help would be appreciated.
Best friends daughter: turns 4.  skirt and hair accessories
Grandmother: album with pictures of the great grandchildren
Sister in law: no idea  Sad
Cousin: pregnant and engaged, knitted wash cloths.  I found a page with baby- and wedding related patterns.  If only I can find it again...
Best friends x2: Possibly a hat making course for all three of us, just need to hear the price.  Plus something peppery.
Brother: no idea  Sad
Parents: no idea  Sad Since they have birthdays so close together I often get them a combined gift.  My father just became a pensioner (in theory), so they plan to do a lot of traveling
Niece: turning 2, perhaps an apron and baking sett
Husband:  Knitted scarf, but need something more too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: January 19, 2012 08:08:21 AM »

bookstorebabe: i am considering the jacket as material idea, just usually they don't mark leather down so it's usually at least $20 or so.

Kara B: for your parents-how about a coordinating set of water bottle cozies and reusable water bottles? I know that is one of my travel must-haves.

More info about the ones you have no clue about would be helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: January 20, 2012 04:41:45 AM »

this was a cracker gift for my father in law. a key ring for his plane keys with his own plane on. i hadnt used shrinky dinks before and though the drawing came out well despite the fact i had cut the shape straight it had warped slightly (thank you to waterbaby for suggesting sand paper. worked a treat, its not perfect now but looks miles beter unfortunatly i didnt get a chance to take a photo of its new shape before it was wrapped Sad )

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sebastian Copeland on the Beauty in Photography
How to Bling your photos
Man Turns Damaged Tree Into A Magnificent Work of Art
Jeff Koons on How Art Enlightens Him
The Future of Aesthetics with Dale Chihuly
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...