A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Year of Homemade Gifts! - 2011-2012 - Are YOU in?  (Read 73952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: December 22, 2011 09:30:33 AM »

thanks.

lieutenant_crunch, my o/h agreed  and has refused to let me drill a hole in his head so i guess my brother will be getting him as he is Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2Kids2Craft4
« Reply #551 on: December 22, 2011 01:56:30 PM »

Here are my finished Christmas presents for my Brother and his family.  They have 4 boys.
All the materials are from my stash.

Hoop for my Sister-in-law

Playmat for the kids

I wasn't there when they got them, so I don't know if they like them.  But my sisters loved the hoop and my other nieces and nephews all gathered around when I was showing off the playmat.  They seemed to like it, so hopefully, the boys do too.

Comments/constructive criticism welcome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #552 on: December 22, 2011 03:08:58 PM »

They both look great! I'm sure sis in law and kiddos were thrilled with such great gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

idioskosmos
« Reply #553 on: December 22, 2011 07:04:07 PM »

Ack!  Have learned the hard way that spray paint does not work with freezer-paper stencil! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elliot_anne
« Reply #554 on: December 23, 2011 01:10:14 AM »

Disclaimer: Feel free not to read this, I ramble and it's mostly boring.

So... I've been fairly absent for a couple months. Please don't be mad! A lot has happened, and it's been hard for me to find the time/energy/motivation to craft lately. I lost my job about a month ago, and it's been rough mentally.

I DID manage to finish the apron for the boy I nannied for. Then he used it once, and I remembered why I hate grosgrain ribbon... I had used the ribbon for the tie-ons, and it shredded the first day. Need to hem it and drop it back in their mailbox for him...

Was going to make something for Future SIL's birthday, but we had another argument just beforehand, and I decided it would be best to pretend I don't exist (trust me, it's the better option).

For Halloween, I spent a total of $11 on our costumes. I bought a pair of striped tights, so I could go as Wednesday Addams (had the rest in my closet), and a stamp. Why a stamp, you ask? Because our friends have a running joke about a particular striped shirt that Sean owns. That it makes him look like Steve from Blue's Clues. For those of you without kids, here's a picture - http://student.delta.edu/kaitlinkeifer/project3/tumblr_lf388qLzYb1qayaeu.jpg So, Sean needed a pawprint stamp to go with his costume. He only decided on his costume the day of Halloween, and I didn't have time to make him a stamp with that lovely pink stuff, so I bought one. He had so much fun drunkenly stamping pawprints on anyone who wandered too close.

Oh the grandiose plans I had for Christmas... -sigh-

We did manage to make a successful batch of homemade salsa. Spicy, but not overwhelming. And a pathetic batch, too. More like a zesty relish, but still good. I was planning on doing a bunch of canning over Thanksgiving break, but that's when I found out I was losing my job. And with it, dreams of everyone getting salsa for Christmas.

Sean is getting the home brew kit I've been promising him for over a year (by the time I turned 21, Christmas and his birthday had already passed, so I was just waiting around for this one to come along).

Parents and brother (who is home from the NAVY for 2 weeks! YAY!) are getting edible stuff.

So... enough with all of the failed endeavors (and I apologize because there have been many). Now on to the good stuff!!

The guinea pigs (we have 3) are getting cuddle cups handmade by someone else (my sewing machine and I aren't on speaking terms).

Kiera is getting a new bed - http://www.etsy.com/listing/88231753/wine-crate-pet-bed-deep (that's not Kiera. That's my mom's dog, Chloe. But it's Kiera's bed now). She's a little big for it, but she sleeps in our bed at night anyway, so whatever. It's cute, dammit.

I finished Sean's mom's present today - a (roughly) 4"x6" Celtic cross stitch embroidery. I'm going to frame it, and give it to her when she comes down to visit (she was supposed to come down for Christmas, but had to push it back to January).

Also, we finished making our wedding invitations! We designed them and had them printed at Kinko's (Fedex discount hurray). Then I hand-wrote all of the response cards, punched the bottoms, and cut and tied doilies. It was a nightmare, but I like how they look. I'll have to post pictures when I get them. Also did all of the calligraphy myself.

Lastly, I got my craft cabinet (yes, cabinet, not room) organized so it is usable again. Which is a gift to myself.

So far I've been pretty lousy about this whole homemade gifts thing, but I'm going to try to be better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lieutenant_crunch

Actually, I've been promoted. It's Captain Crunch.

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: December 23, 2011 02:14:46 PM »

Ok, finally getting around to posting things! First off, here's the stuff I made for my roommate's birthday. He's really into Magic the Gathering, so I made him a rubiks cube with the mana symbols

(There are only 5 different kinds of mana, so the 6th side is the Magic logo)

I was planning on making him pixel cookies with a Tetris design, but the dough I used was not cooperating and I couldn't get it to work. I finally gave up and made Magic cookies instead.

My drawing-with-icing skills are not the best, but he really liked them anyway. Those are his 3 favorite mana colors. Just don't look to closely at the red ones! That symbol was a lot harder to draw than I expected Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm participating in the Year of Homemade Gifts!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387047.0
2Kids2Craft4
« Reply #556 on: December 23, 2011 03:45:55 PM »

Thanks, pollyprissypants!

I hadn't posted the pictures of my Fall Birthday stuff or Halloween, so I thought I'd do that.

Halloween:

Sunflower - She was dressed in green and I made felt leaves for her shoes. Please excuse my tired, cranky model.

Pea shooter -  It's attached to a headband, but turned out a little heavy.  Plus my 2 yr old wanted nothing to do with it.  He was also dressedin green with leaves on his shoes.  Hubby and I were zombies.

Fall Birthdays:

I made part of the goody bags. The paper cones and popcorn balls were made by me (and a big hit too!)

October boys presents (there are 3 nephews with Oct. B-days)

I looked everywhere for ideas and couldn't find a single homemade fabric treasure map.  So then I just looked at maps and made up my own.

For my niece:

There were 2 different Craftster posts with tutorials for this one.  I kind of followed one, then just did what looked good, since I didn't have a large length of fabric.

For my Nov Nephew:

A dino hood.  I also sewed him a little bag to put his trains in, but it's horrible, so no photos.  Tongue

And I was commissioned by his mom to make him a playmat:

All my own design.

I think that's all the ones I forgot to post!

Now to see if I can finish more Christmas items!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lieutenant_crunch

Actually, I've been promoted. It's Captain Crunch.

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 24, 2011 04:11:10 AM »

elliot_anne: The Celtic cross stitch is really pretty Smiley Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm participating in the Year of Homemade Gifts!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387047.0
butterflyangel
« Reply #558 on: December 24, 2011 07:58:10 AM »

If I don't get to see the person I made a gift for anytime soon...then it's okay that I haven't finished their gift by tomorrow right?...........................right??? >.<

So for my friend who's into spiderman and whatnot, I thought of a shirt, but then I saw the melted crayons and they looked soo cool and soo much fun I had to try it myself !
He's also very into dragons and loves green.

Off for more crafts and baking !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #559 on: December 24, 2011 12:07:52 PM »

Cool dragon!

Welp, I didn't make half the things I had planned, but next year will be better. And I have made 7 1/2 dozen mini orange cranberry muffins between last night and today. For my parents, and his mom-and some of those will be packaged for the freezer. I want to do some other baking, but Kiddo has taken over the kitchen to make cookies. I *want* to make a batch of banana muffins or apple bread, but probably not gonna happen. Church is only from 7-8 tonight, but DD and DH are both choir, DD has a solo, so we have to be there by 5:30 for practice, then straight to my sister in laws for dinner and giving presents to my 3 little nieces. Never stenciled that tshirt for DH. Well, he may just get it a little later as an I love You present, we aren't doing Christmas for each other this year anyway, what with my being out of work. But after Christmas I start part time at the library!

Hey, but the kiddo did great on the home made gifts this year! Chocolate chip cookies for aunts and uncles, lots of them. Earrings for all her girlfriends-I gave her access to my supplies and a few tips, and turned her loose. She had so much fun! Her grandparents-we picked out an old poetry book at the used book store for one grandma (a poet we knew she liked), a really big jar of cashews for her grandpa, and other grandma I let her give her a pretty scarf I'd bought on sale earlier in the year, instead of gifting it myself. Go DD! And now she's hooked on making earrings. 

Looking back, I'm chalking this up to a learning experience. Next year I need to start way earlier, just craft all year. Try to work out craft trades with people, because a lot of what I can make, wasn't suitable for who I needed to gift for. I already buy very frugal and put things back. Look at Etsy more(especially fellow craftsters etsys!) for things I can't make or swap for. I way overestimated how easy some ideas were, and way underestimated how much time other ideas would take. But yeah, learning experience!
Sign me up for the 2012 year of homemade gifts! You all are a very inspiring bunch, and I hope you all have a great whatever holidays you celebrate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2-Minute Beauty Tutorial for a Perfect Natural Look
Skin Authority Product Review
The Secret To A Piecey Pixie Hairstyle
Beauty Makeup Box Reviews
Graphic Eye Makeup Backstage at KaufmanFranco Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...