A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Year of Homemade Gifts! - 2011-2012 - Are YOU in?  (Read 66469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kara B
« Reply #500 on: December 04, 2011 06:15:41 AM »

Bah, feeling really behind right now.  Life just got very hectic, and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down any time soon.  To add to the stress there is a butter shortage, and the stores have been sold out for two weeks now.  There aren't many Christmas cookies that don't need butter  Sad

At least I got everybodies advents calenders done on time (11:35 pm on November 30th).  (If you're interested there are pictures in my blog http://www.karaw.com/blogg.  English summary at the bottom).
Despite big plans on crafting gifts, most of the gifts are bought  Sad But half the gifts for the kids are craft-related (paints, play-dough etc).  Also I made these little fellows:

I was sad to see the white and purple dragon go.  I got quite attached to her  Cheesy I just hope she is going to a good home. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kara B
« Reply #501 on: December 04, 2011 06:37:51 AM »

So busy bragging about myself I forgot to compliment everybode else.  I love the bracelets!  The coloured rings in the middle, are the captured between the other rings, and not actually looped through?

The tea wallet does look a bit crooked from the outside, but the inside looks great.  Very good first attempt!

Teamamma, I hope your life soon straightens itself out soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #502 on: December 04, 2011 10:02:10 AM »

Hee, I made a second tea wallet, it looked *almost* right-but I put the strap on backwards, so it fastens on the back and not the front. Roll Eyes But I think I'll give it one more go!
The chain mail bracelet was amazing!
I love love the dragons, feel proud of yourself!
I'll be frugally buying as well as making presents, too. But this is going to get easier as time goes on. I'm learning more all the time, and all of you have been so inspiring!
And I don't know if this will help you out on the cookies, but here's an idea. My big sis makes the world's best chocolate chip cookies, and whenever she brings them to a big gathering, it's amazing how fast they disappear. I asked her what she did different. She said, she used the tollhouse recipe on the package, but used butter flavored crisco shortening. Apparently shortening gives a better texture, butter gives a better flavor, and by using this, it was the best of both worlds.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code craftster,10%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Kara B
« Reply #503 on: December 04, 2011 01:03:37 PM »

And I don't know if this will help you out on the cookies, but here's an idea. My big sis makes the world's best chocolate chip cookies, and whenever she brings them to a big gathering, it's amazing how fast they disappear. I asked her what she did different. She said, she used the tollhouse recipe on the package, but used butter flavored Crisco shortening. Apparently shortening gives a better texture, butter gives a better flavor, and by using this, it was the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the tip, but we don't have Crisco,or any other type of shortening here.  I have considered using margarine, though.  The store manager thought he might get some butter in on Thursday, so I'll make sure to drop in on my way to work.  He said was going to set a limit to two packs per person, so better drop by on my way home too  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: December 04, 2011 01:26:55 PM »

Kara - where are you that there's a butter shortage? Just curious since there's NO shortage of butter here.... although some of us could DO with a butter shortage...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #505 on: December 04, 2011 01:46:10 PM »

Okay, so I feel better knowing I'm not the only one that's stressing last minute crafting. I made some slippers for my grandmother yesterday, though, and I'm working on a shawl for my mil, so that makes me feel better. Yeesh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kara B
« Reply #506 on: December 04, 2011 07:19:10 PM »

Kara - where are you that there's a butter shortage? Just curious since there's NO shortage of butter here.... although some of us could DO with a butter shortage...

I'm in Norway.  We used to have a state monopoly on all dairy products until about 20 years ago, and there is still only one major producer of butter.  So when they screw up there isn't much alternative for us living in towns.  The small producers in the country are of course very happy.  Last I heard a lot of people were heading to Sweden to get butter, so now we are starting a shortage there too!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: December 05, 2011 07:52:33 AM »

Kara - what a bummer! I wish I could mail you some butter... but mailing butter from Canada to Norway probably wouldn't work out too well... Sad

Anywho - I've finally taken some pics of the most recently completed gifts. Technically it's only 2 gifts, but I feel like I've actually accomplished something, so I'm going to post the pics anyways.

First up - slouchy hat and vinyl flower pin for sis#2

knit in the round with Paton's classic wool on size 8 dpns

modelled by my 3 year old... so it looks slouchier than it is.

AND a rainstick for my Dad (he's a drummer)

It's made of abs pipe with screws screwed in in a helix pattern, two abs end-caps (glued on) filled with dried navy beans and covered in two colours of brown card stock and like 10000 coats of modge-podge.

Phew! Well, that's it for now. I've only got a ba-jillion other things to do. Here's my current Christmas list I still have to complete (and YES, I know there's only 20 days till Christmas Shocked yeah....)

Mom: cardigan
Dad: rainstick
Sis#1: January knitted cowl
Sis#2: slouchy hat and flower pin
B-i-l: knitted socks
sis#2's bf: gaming pillow
M-I-L: knitting loom
F-I-L: HuhHuh - we have a touchpad cover that was open box and we picked it up at about 70% off... so technically we have a gift and it fits the "seriously discounted" criteria, but I'd still like to make him something if I can think of something to make - quick!
S-I-L: Huh
B-I-L: Huh
B-I-L'sgf: knitted cowl

ALSO: a knitted earflap hat for my  friend's nephew, two cross necklaces for a friend's daughters, and two feather hair clip ins (to look like those feather extensions) for my sister's husband's mother's step-daughters (yeah, follow that...).
SO - y'know... only a few things. EEK!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
bookstorebabe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #508 on: December 05, 2011 09:08:06 AM »

I like the vinyl hair pin! And am jealous of you crafty people that knit and crochet, nice hat! And the rainstick is very cool. Good luck on your list, Teamama!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code craftster,10%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
pincushion_queen

old fashioned, but fashionable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: December 05, 2011 01:39:53 PM »

Kara, just a thought but why don't you have a look for some vegan cookie recipes? they def wouldn't need any type of buttery thing and most vegan cakes etc i've tried have been just as yummy!

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cirque Du Soleil Show Dralion Performers
Art Showcase: Messerschmitt ME 109 G
Building a German U-Boat
Art Showcase: Spitfire Mk IX
Art Showcase: Avro Arrow Mailbox
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...