A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Year of Homemade Gifts! - 2011-2012 - Are YOU in?  (Read 80981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2011 03:57:34 PM »

I'm sorry that happened! Makes me glad I try to avoid Canada Post o_o;;;

Non-crafty news:
Good news: My mother found my other bamboo knitting needle. It got lost in the limbo of my bedroom back home LOL.
Bad news: I have to clean my room
Good news: I got a bunch more of my stuff, now I'm just missing my bike, some of my books, and my gardening stuff
Bad news: Now my room is messier than before
Good news: My mom bought me a new iPod!!!! Soooo happy!!!! >w<b

---

I'm curious. You've seen the yin and yang chainmaille inlay I'm making Boyfriend, but now I've started on another yin and yang that looks a lot better (It uses a craft hoop which helps round out the pattern). Should I give him both, or just scrap the older one and give him the newer cooler looking one?

---

Also, I found that recipe on here today for Dandelion wine. Unfortunately all the dandelions are dead here, but I'm gonna make dandelion wine in springtime Cheesy I'm planning to gift some to my parents, to Boyfriend, I might keep a bottle for myself because I'm awesome like that (But I honestly doubt I'll drink it. I know it's "cool" and all to drink underage, but I don't like the taste of alcohol, and wines burn my throat so I'm not sure I'd wanna drink the wine. I'd probably just keep it to brag that I made it XD ), and probably some other relatives and people.

---

Although it isn't really gifty, I think I'm going to make pumpkin donuts and chai tea cupcakes soon. Yummmm.... <3

---

I know it's weird that I divide each thought, just go with it LOL.

---

I went in to buy a specific paint brush, and came out with two sizes of one style of brush, and another of a similar but better-ish style, three sizes of multi liners (Mom said no to the Copic ones because they were 8.95 a pen, but was fine with the cheaper multi liners), a caligraphy pen, ink, and a small moleskin notebook thingy because it was discounted in cost because it was a discontinued style Cheesy <3

---

Oh, and also, I'm gonna try and get a set of jewelry together and also finished so I can mail it out to my biological mom soon Smiley Her birthday is on the 25th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: October 16, 2011 07:26:19 AM »

As for the Yin Yang inlay, I would just give him the nice of the two and save the other for a last minute gift you hadn't planned for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
lieutenant_crunch

Actually, I've been promoted. It's Captain Crunch.

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2011 10:05:11 PM »

Got my friend's drink books done and gave them to her. She loves them. In fact, she said they're the best present she got this year Smiley Here are some more pictures. Sorry they're so dark. I tried using the flash, but the glare from the lamination made the pictures impossible to see.

Also, I didn't realize that our other friend's birthday was today, so I made her a quick gift too. She loves Harry Potter, so I made her a candle using a potion looking bottle I had as a mold.

It didn't turn out quite like I wanted, but she liked it a lot. Sorry the post is so pic heavy, but I'm proud of myself Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm participating in the Year of Homemade Gifts!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387047.0
lieutenant_crunch

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2011 10:12:17 PM »

Also, Fullmoon, I second the idea of giving him the nicer looking one and keeping the other one in case something sneaks up on you and you need a gift on short notice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm participating in the Year of Homemade Gifts!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387047.0
idioskosmos
« Reply #364 on: October 16, 2011 11:13:42 PM »

Just got back from my husband's 25th high school reunion in San Diego (yes, we are that old!)  I didn't do any crafting all weekend, althoug I left a stocking cap to block.  Time to start Halloween - my 6 year old wants to be the cone head zombie from plants vs. zombies, and my 7 year old wants to be some sort of Pokemon....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lieutenant_crunch

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2011 11:38:55 PM »

Updated list! I had an idea for my grandma/great aunt. I don't think I'll have time to make grandma a walker bag, plus I don't know what I'd make for my aunt. So, my mom usually buys them each a wreath for their house as birthday presents (an early one in my aunt's case). Do you think it would be feasible to make them?

October:
     -Friend's birthday: drink books
     -other friend: polyjuice potion candle (added that just so I could cross it off Tongue)
November:
     -Kate: sushi cupcakes
     -Marcus: rubiks cube with Magic mana symbols, tetris pixel cookies
     -Dad and uncle: company shirts
     -Grandma: wreath?
December: Christmas!
     -housemates: sock monkeys, cookies/candy/etc., stockings
     -boyfriend: Mario blanket
     -brother: freezer paper stencil shirt of some kind.
     -dad: notebook for song lyrics
     -mom: wind chimes?
     -grandma and great aunt: Christmas dinner
     -puppy chow/peanut brittle/fudge/oreo balls, etc. for random people
January:
     -brother: probably another shirt, and something else
     -2 year Anniversary: dinner, shy guy t-shirt
     -great-aunt's birthday: might make her a wreath as well, as an early birthday present.
February:
     -Valentine's day: cake (http://www.bakerella.com/a-valentines-day-gift-box-of%E2%80%A6/), card
     -boyfriend's birthday: Tama
     -friend's birthday: d10 fuzzy dice for his car.
March/April: Nothing
May:
     -Mothers' Day: seed paper
June:
     -Fathers' Day: still stuck on this one
July:
     -Mom's birthday: ?
August:
     -Parent's Anniversary:?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011 01:52:44 PM by lieutenant_crunch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliot_anne
« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2011 06:44:43 PM »

Wreaths are SUPER easy! I've never made one myself, but from what I've seen on pinterest, it doesn't get much easier than a wreath. I have a whole board dedicated to them for when I can actually afford to start celebrating holidays, haha.

http://pinterest.com/elliot_anne/fun-wreaths/

Clicking any of the pictures should take you to the blog where they were originally found.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lieutenant_crunch

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2011 09:06:49 PM »

Awesome! Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 17, 2011 09:31:38 PM »

This looks too fun not to join in, even late.  I think I'll extend this all the way to the end of next year, as well Smiley

Such an awesome craft-a-long comes at a really great time, since I have two big birthdays in November -- Mom on the 18th, SO on the 26th.  I'm a freelance writer and one of my big job sites just closed down (ack!), so frugal or free is definitely necessary!

My one amendment to the handmade rule is for Mom's Christmas -- she has been wanting a laptop for ages and I have committed to getting her one.  I'm going to buy it new from a local shop where I got mine, which means I can make interest-free monthly payments and seriously save some $$$.

So, my list:

November
Mom -- probably a scrapbook of us kids.  She got me a Cricut lite as a graduation gift, so it'll be good to put it to use for her.

Devin (SO) -- I don't know.  I have seen a plethora of things here and on Etsy he'd love, but a lot of it is out of my crafting expertise.  I did see a Captain American pillow on the Crochet forum he'd die for that I'll probably copy for Christmas.  He's a big gamer, grew up with retro 80s games.  Batman, Captain America, Mario Bros, MegaMan, Metroid.  I crochet mostly, but also sew and do some paper-crafting.  Any ideas, patterns, etc. are much appreciated!

December -- Christmas!

Mom -- laptop, but with some sort of handmade accessory, like a case or lap desk.

Devin -- Captain America pillow

Bro 1 -- Steelers pillows.  I'm going to crochet four granny squares in yellow and black and put them around some pillow forms.  This is perfect because we're currently painting their room yellow with black trim, lol.

Bro 2 -- I'm making a granny's daughter afghan with his name spelled out in the blocks.  I designed a diagram to follow and I've made a TON of squares...I just need to assemble them.

Sister -- Last year I made her mary jane slippers that went over well, but she moved to FL this summer, so the cold weather type stuff is out.  I thought maybe a nice framed picture of her black lab, which she had to leave behind with us until she gets her own place.

BFF and goddaughters -- stuffies for the little ones, maybe a home spa type kit for their mom

College friend 1 -- not sure.  She's in grad school for her teaching degree, plays the piano, loves cats and dry red wine.  We were English majors and organization co-presidents, and I want to do something really nice for her since I wouldn't have gotten through school without her.

College friend 2 -- She's an absolute enigma.  Loves rock music, good wine, spending money, travel.

College friend 3 -- Also wouldn't have made it through without her.  I'm going to put together a cooking box for her, with a customized apron, spice mixes, and some hot chocolate mix

Ex-boss/friend -- NOT.  A.  CLUE!

College friend 1's bf -- He's a writer like myself and a really great guy.  I'm thinking bookmarks and a good used copy of an author bio, perhaps an anti-stress kit geared towards men.

Whew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #369 on: October 18, 2011 05:08:29 PM »

Well, here's my mother on law's walker bag,modeled on DH's old walker. Dollar store purse $8.00. The Goodwill purses looked terrible and cost almost as much! So Dollar Store it was. Added wide black straps to convert it, had the straps and velcro already. Hand sewed the velcro for extra stability, instead of relying on the sticky backing. That way if she's out she doesn't have to mess with a walker bag and juggling a purse, and it zips shut in the middle to keep wallet and keys safe. I left the original handles attached-they're just tucked inside. So she doesn't have to transfer stuff to a purse, if she's leaving the walker behind. Just undo the velcro straps, tuck them in, pull out the purse handle. Mainly I'm hoping she'll use it at home for little things-tissue, cell phone, lipstick, ect. Don't know when we're seeing her, but she'll get it next time we do, instead of waiting for Christmas.
Not really a homemade gift, but it's a start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Self Defeating Myths of Change
The Many Moods of Cheat
Peter Ames Carlin on His New Bruce Springsteen Biography
BeBe Winans on His Book The Whitney I Knew
Eben Alexander Discusses His "Journey Into the Afterlife"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...