A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
839 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Year of Homemade Gifts! - 2011-2012 - Are YOU in?  (Read 71974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2011 06:35:47 PM »

Had another long day of canning in between working. Finished up all the strawberry jam today, put up some hot pickled peppers (straight from our garden Fullmoon Wink) and started cutting labels and fabric toppers for the jars as well. I think I'm going to have to take a bit of a break from it though, I'm starting to go cross-eyed!

Got a first aid class tomorrow and Wednesday, so that kind of cuts into the crafting time... but I've been going pretty hard lately. Gotta get my back to hogwarts swap package into the mail tomorrow too and that will be one less thing on my list!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
Fullmoon
Femailler

Artistic Spazzmatazz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #311 on: October 03, 2011 09:26:11 PM »

Well...If the strawberry jam magically ends up in Oregon, I swear it wasn't me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/lunaestrelladesign/
Deviantart: http://melonpan-alichan.deviantart.com/

Will happily do personal swaps Smiley I'm busy so I may be a bit slow, but I do enjoy swapping <3
butterflyangel
« Reply #312 on: October 03, 2011 10:29:10 PM »

Sorry I've been away for so long !! If i'm not busy with school I'm trying to do some crafting !!
On to the crafts !

This only took like FOREVER ! okay not really forever, but actually I worked on it for almost a week I should say. I kept changing my mind about it

This I just finished tonight ! I started around I think 5 or 6? *dead* But I'm super proud of it ! It's my first quilled anything !  Cheesy

they're both for birthdays !!
I'd show more pics of the card but...as written earlier..*dead*

-moon cakes
-bunny hat for baby shower 9/18
-elefante
-art supply bag for my SIL
-comic themed puzzle for friend's birthday 9/22 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=383835.0
-birthday card for a friend (10/4 today )
-gift a day for a close friend 11/08
-controller pillow? for another friend 11/19
-HP birthday for family friend 11/21 I'm thinking of like HP cookies and I already bought her an unoffical HP cookbok 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #313 on: October 04, 2011 02:17:13 AM »

Love that puzzle! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #314 on: October 04, 2011 06:51:05 AM »

Darn it.  I forgot to click on my notification before, so I was only at about page 13 or so.  I'm all caught up now, but I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute to the intervening posts.  (Except that I don't think I would let the pledge interfere with bringing back local treasures from a cruise - add thoughtfulness to my choices, yes, but rule something out entirely, no.  But that's just me. Wink I think there's something in "locally distinctive" that sort of goes along with handmade.)

I think I posted my list, but I can't remember where to find it.  Undecided  Anyway, here's where I'm at, with regard to Christmas:

hubby:  Huh (I have a small homemade idea, but not enough for a whole gift.)  He's a musician (think composer, plays the guitar, piano, saxophone, oboe, pretty-much-any-other-brass-or-woodwind-instrument), works for a non-profit, and loves movies  Ideas welcome!
9yo dd: honestly, I have a bunch of stuff I've bought for my girls when I've come across it clearanced.  She's getting a crochet kit, and a scarf I got in a personal swap with someone here (that she fell in love with the moment she saw it)
4yo dd: clearance stuff as mentioned, ??
will-be-9mo dd: clearance stuff as mentioned, cloth books, supposed to be making an amigurumi, but it's my first one and I've not been able to get it successfully started yet   Sad
Mom: faux quilted coasters (and quilted pillowshams found at the thrift store)
Dad:  Huh  (Why are guys always so hard to buy/make for?!) I usually buy him toys.  We made marshmallow guns one year, and they were a hit.  (Also a good little-boy birthday party gift, btw.)  He works for the same non-profit as hubby.  My dd is making them both "joke jars," but I'm still coming up blank for myself.
sister1: is getting coffee I got as part of a blog review (I don't drink coffee.)  No handmade is quite necessary here, but I could make a mug mat to accompany it, if I have time.
her hubby:  Huh  Nobody is really sure what he does, except read his Bible.  (Seriously, no one seems to know what he does for fun.  He's a pretty new b-i-l.)
sister2: stationery box (and quilted wall-hanging found at the thrift store), apron
her hubby: lunch kit
sister3:  Huh  She likes style/fashion.  Loves red, white, and black.  Went to stunt school.  But right now, she just works at a pizza place and doesn't have a lot of opportunity for doing stuff she really loves.  Oh, and she listens to music.
granddad: wrestled over this for a long time, but I think I'm going to make a bird-related Bible verse plaque and an etched-glass bottle hummingbird feeder
aunt: beach bag and decorated canister for plastic bags, mug mat and cup wrap, earrings
toddler cousin: cloth colors book (and some stuff I'd picked up on clearance)
m-i-l: yarn containers for knitting
niece: dress
hubby's brothers: supposed to be genealogy books, but I'm attempting digital scrapbooking and it's my first time so it's not going so well  Undecided
Also need to make jammies for my dd's for Christmas.  (Except the baby.  I don't sew knits, so I'll probably end up buying the baby a sleeper. If I embellish it will it count as crafted?)

I also have at least four baby gifts coming up.  One will be a book and a baby sling (I already bought them, months ago, when I found them on sale, even though the recipient wasn't even expecting yet.  I knew she would be, sooner or later.)  Apart from that, I usually do hooded towels.  I also have supplies to make wooden nursing necklaces or teethers.

I'm not sure about birthday parties.  I often do ink pads and rubber stamps for young(-but-not-too-young) girls.

I'm helping my 9yo with her Christmas gifts this year, too, and the majority of hers will be crafted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

idioskosmos
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2011 07:14:53 AM »

hubby:  Huh (I have a small homemade idea, but not enough for a whole gift.)  He's a musician (think composer, plays the guitar, piano, saxophone, oboe, pretty-much-any-other-brass-or-woodwind-instrument), works for a non-profit, and loves movies  Ideas welcome!

her hubby:  Huh  Nobody is really sure what he does, except read his Bible.  (Seriously, no one seems to know what he does for fun.  He's a pretty new b-i-l.)

Also need to make jammies for my dd's for Christmas.  (Except the baby.  I don't sew knits, so I'll probably end up buying the baby a sleeper. If I embellish it will it count as crafted?)

For your hubby:  How about a notebook with a movie cover?  You could make a small one from a VHS box, or a larger one from one of those mini-posters they're always giving away (I have a bunch from the Will Farrel version of Land of the Lost if that would work).

For your BIL:  Eons ago, I saw instructions for something cute in "Decorating and Craft Ideas magazine" - it was a pine needle frame with a cross stitch piece that read "Baskets are made by hands like mine, but only God can make a pine".  I may have that article somewhere.  If it sounds interesting, let me know and I'll try to find it.

Jammies for your daughters:  Absolutely embellishment counts!  Some of the cutest jammies my kids had were embellished.  One had duckie feet, one had alien feet, one had dinosaur paw prints on the butt...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2JC4life
« Reply #316 on: October 04, 2011 07:52:20 AM »

For your BIL:  Eons ago, I saw instructions for something cute in "Decorating and Craft Ideas magazine" - it was a pine needle frame with a cross stitch piece that read "Baskets are made by hands like mine, but only God can make a pine".  I may have that article somewhere.  If it sounds interesting, let me know and I'll try to find it.

I'm not sure they have space for something largely decorative.  (They live in a pretty small apartment.)  It just occurred to me, though, that I could possibly put together a Bible study kit.  It wouldn't exactly be "crafted," necessarily, but it would be hand-assembled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2011 10:23:28 AM »

For your husband, how about using old sheet music to decoupage a frame, and add a special picture of the two of you? Does he wear neckties? Would a music themed stenciled or painted tie work for him? Could he use his own coffee mug at work? I've used glass paint(cheap, at the craft store) and decorated plain solid mugs, and clear glass steins, either Dollar Store or thrifted, you just bake them in the oven to set the paint. Granted, I haven't done that often, because my drawing sucks and it's a pain to slowly make something I'm happy with. But the process itself is pretty simple.Or a decorated/embroidered/somethinged strap for an instrument case?
The bible reading brother in law-maybe a bible cover or bookbag?A lot of people carry their own back and forth to church,,ect. A embroidered bookmark? And there's a bookmark I saw in a swap ages ago, it was made especially for use in bibles, cookbooks, hymnals. How a lot of those are bound, there's a gap down the spine? Can't describe it..anyway. Standard bookmark, but with several ribbons at the top, to mark favorites verses, hymn, recipes...Wish i remember where on here I saw it so I could link. Or just a simple scarf, that's always nice to have!

Guys are hard to gift for! I'm having trouble coming up with something for my brother.
I'm trying to think-what would I make if it was for a craftster swap, like a 'craft my SO something' ? Okay, well in that case there'd be a wist/blog/pintrist/facebook/something-or a least a partner to question. So yeah, bad example. Roll Eyes
But if it was a swap, and all I knew was that he liked motorcycles, was a mechanic,didn't care to read, and always took his little grandson fishing-what would I make? And a craft swap, I'd be all excited by the challenge, and not all worried 'oh god, what do I do *this* year?' I hoping thinking of my problem people like that will jump start an idea.
Knowing that, any ideas for the brother? One thing I'm toying with is taking a thrift store wall clock-you know, the flat round ones-and taking it apart to add in art for a new face. A vintage Harley picture, for example, if I can find one. I don't know if there's anywhere in the house he could hang it, but it might be cool in the garage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
A2JC4life
« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2011 11:18:17 AM »

Oh, I forgot about those bookmarks!  I've actually made those before.  (Made hubby one, one year.)  That was before the b-i-l, though, so that could definitely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflyangel
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2011 11:53:15 AM »

Love that puzzle! Great job!

THANK YOU!!! Looks like all that hard work paid off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Easter Roast Spiced Chicken with Indian Style Gravy
How to Fry Soft Tofu Without Breaking Up
How to Make Spaghetti and Beans
How to Make Tofu Stuffed with Cheese
How to Make White Coconut Curry with Tempeh Part 3/3
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...