A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Year of Homemade Gifts! - 2011-2012 - Are YOU in?  (Read 72286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hermetus
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011 05:08:25 AM »

I have a list!

End of August:
Friend's birthday (a jewelry set?)

October:
Father's birthday
(50th! And I have a gift already: it's storebought but it's truly spot-on - and it's a collectable, so I couldn't have made it anyway)

November:
Mother and aunt's birthday (for mother something that has cows in it, for aunt some jewelry)
Friend's birthday (a scarf? It's been on my mind for a while now)

December:
Friend's son's 1st birthday (a wooden toy?)
Christmas gifts for
-mother (something involving cows, but what?)
-father (scifi and geeky things, but what?)
-brother (airsoft things: a ghillie rug for his gun?)
-fiance (motorcycle things? geeky things?)
-some friends (baked goods? homemade candies?)
-fiance's family (a gift basket?)

January:
Fiance's birthday

February:
Friend's birthday

March:
Brother's birthday (maybe a whole ghillie suit?)
Mil's birthday (and my birthday, too!)

I've got this years things mostly planned, so I just have to start making them. I'm also beginning my studies at a university this fall, so it's extra handy to have a list and schedule for crafting gifts. Cheesy
I'll have to start crafting the wooden toy for my friend's son soon, because I really don't have much trust in my woodworking skills: it's been over ten years since I've done any woodworks (that means I was a 3rd grader back then, gosh!).  Grin But I'll manage: I love expanding my skills and know that I can get help (mostly from my dad and fiance) if I get stuck or screw up. Wink

I've been contemplating whether I should make some jams and such... Here in Finland all the berries and mushrooms and other things growing in the forest are there for taking, so it would be a shame not to use the opportunity. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011 07:05:18 AM »

I'm loving seeing all these lists come together! Once I can get home and sit and look at my calendar I'll have a more complete list.

it's a game where you take washers (little metal ring things) and throw them 15ish feet into a box with a hole in it.  kinda like a hick version of horseshoes?  http://www.originalwashers.com/
That looks cool! And they look like they shouldn't be too hard to make. It looks like they've got outdoor carpeting on the top of it? What a great idea. I wonder if you were able to attach an older belt (or a cheap new belt) to the bottom of each side then when you want to travel with them, you just stack them together and put the belts around and do them up? Thinking while I type here...

It's truly epic! I want to cross stitch it for a friend of mine - I think he'd love it.  Grin
If you do - I want to see it! Cross stitch/embroidery is totally beyond my craft-i-bility... BEYOND.

February:
Grandpa's 100th birthday!!!
*Help with ideas would be much appreciated*
Oh wow Idioskosmos... people are hard enough to think of gifts for... but really, what do you need when you're 100?! If I have a brilliant idea in the middle of the night I'll definitely share it! That's a tough one!

Maxevv and Hermetus - so glad you're joining us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrown e.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeave s.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
A2JC4life
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011 09:32:43 AM »

I will join in.  I have to exclude books from the requirement, though. Cheesy  I'm not sure if I can do 100% homemade - there are a few people I just struggle to come up with anything they might actually like.  It was already my goal to do homemade as much as possible, though.  So, let's see how I should word this:

I, A2JC4life, am committed to making a "Year of Homemade Gifts" from September 1, 2011 to September 1, 2012 with the following conditions: that if I am unable to make a gift for a person or occasion that it be either secondhand and gently loved, purchased from another crafter, designed to enable/encourage handcrafting, or seriously discounted as to remain frugally responsible. Good books are exempted from the handmade/gently loved/crafty requirement.  I will strive to include some element of crafting or personalization to every gift, even if it is primarily purchased.  I also commit to sharing my successes and failures with the Year of Homemade Gifts Craft-a-long on Craftster.

Oh, by the way, little ones can potentially be really easy to craft for.  There are tons of toys to make: cloth books, dolls, learning toys, etc.  I made my dd2 a book when she was a baby by adding text to photos of her and people in our family, then having those photos printed and laminated, and binding them together with binder rings. 

I have a list for this year; I'll have to add it later. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011 01:17:01 PM »

This sounds like a great idea. And I really like Hermetus pledge, so I'll be using that one too. With a part of A2JC4life pledge tacked on to the end.

I, meleriffic, am committed to making a "Year of Homemade Gifts" from September 1, 2011 to September 1, 2012 with the following conditions: that if I am unable to make a gift for a person or occasion that it may be handmade by somebody else, secondhand and gently loved, seriously discounted as to remain frugally responsible OR a storebought but spot-on-gift for the receiver - no compromises! I will strive to include some element of crafting or personalization to every gift, even if it is primarily purchased.I also commit to sharing my successes and failures with the Year of Homemade Gifts Craft-a-long on Craftster.

I'm not sure who I will be making gifts for this year yet, so no list right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011 01:48:42 PM »

well ladies (and gentlemen?) i know it is not yet september, but i thought i would tell you about my current handmade project.

my parents will be marking their 40th wedding anniversary this coming sunday, and my sisters and i are throwing them a surprise party to the tune of 100+ persons.  i've been toiling away at a slideshow for them, and about 3 weeks ago i was officially put in charge of favors.

i have never received a wedding favor i really liked.  a coffee mug or can cooly with your names printed/embroidered on?  matchbooks with your wedding date?  a cd of your favorite songs?  a donation in my name to save the whales?  mints in a mesh sack?  yuck.

so i was determined to find something that i could make, that would be oober cheap, and be slightly reflective of my parents and who they are.  my mom is a gardening guru, and my dad is a manual labor guy's guy.  i thought about making that paper that you can put seeds into and people can plant it.  it sounded like fun, but i'd have to do it all in my garage, and the heat wave this summer would have likely landed me in the hospital at some point.  so i found a recipe for making birdseed ornaments.  the average age of those invited hovers around 72, so i think they might enjoy leaving a little treat for their birdie friends.

i have made, dried, wrapped over 80 of them so far, and i am tiring of the smell of birdseed.  
here they are drying:

all prettied up:

tonight i must run to hobby lobby for more red ribbon and a gorgeous silk flower to make a corsage out of.

speaking of which, did you know corsages are like $23!  that's ridiculous!  i will invest my $5 on something that might actually be worn again, thank you very much.  oh, and "hello 40% off coupon".

completed:

and for the occasion i got my new super-cute color coordinated dress on clearance for $25 (from $180!) and both the kiddos outfits came from the local children's clothing resale shop.

jo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011 06:55:36 AM by jo_mama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
idioskosmos
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011 03:59:48 PM »

I really like the idea of bird seed ornament party favors! 

I was at a wedding once where the place "cards" were river rocks with each persons name written on them, which I thought was clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011 06:34:10 AM »

Welcome A2JC4Life and Meleriffic! We're glad you can join us!

Jo - what a project! I too love the idea of birdseed ornaments. Another fun idea (similar to that) is making wildflower seed paper - we did that for a friend's bridal shower, we basically made a bunch of homemade paper, mixed wildflower (or butterfly blanket) seeds in and gave everyone instructions to take the paper home and plant it so that flowers would grow and remind them of the bride every time they see them!

I think I have finally compiled my list for the fist couple of months - but I'm also including August because that's just the way my brain works - so, here goes (at least I know this group of people won't look at this list and go - are you NUTS?!) like some of my other friends do Tongue

August:

knit dishcloths for Mum's birthday (3 of 6 completed so far)

Etched glasses/tumblers for Dad's birthday (2/2 complete! Yay!)

Occasional table for Mum & Dad (joint gift) - SO not finished - eep!

2 skirts (I.O.U.) from sister's birthday - pieces all cut, not sewn.

Outfit for sister's bachlorette party - in progress

Jams & Pickles (this is the part where people think I'm insane): 40-50 jars pickles (mix of dill, garlic dill and spicy dill), 10-20 jars pickled beans, 2 small batch strawberry jam, 2 small batch raspberry jam, 2 large batch blueberry jam, 2 large batch sour cherry jam, 1 small batch brandied cranberry sauce, 1 small batch peach compote, 1 small batch spaghetti sauce

Paint Kids' room

September:

Necklace for mother-in-law's birthday OR something involving elephants (she collects them) - have elephant necklace pendant already - def. an option.

Wedding gift for sister - putting together wedding album since photographer is a friend of mine - scrapbook style.

Finish decorating kids' room

Begin work on kid's hallowe'en costumes - "Jack-in-the-box" and "Buzz Lightyear"

Well - that's as far ahead as I can think right now. Once I get over the hump of doing all that canning/preserving I'll be in good shape. I hope. *gulp*

~Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011 10:57:54 AM »

Is all the canning/preserving for gifts. I hope not. You need to keep some of that hard work for yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011 11:05:40 AM »

Is all the canning/preserving for gifts. I hope not. You need to keep some of that hard work for yourself.

A little more than half is gifts - but we do the bulk of our Christmas giving out of things we put up in the summer. Quite literally 75% of my Christmas list says the persons name and beside that "pickles".

But on the other hand, I have two small children who would LIVE off of pickles if I let them, so I usually put up about 20 1L jars of pickles for us exclusively. Last year it made us until March. Yeah... September to march. 20 jars of pickles. This year I'm keeping 25 for us.

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NotKnit

My best works.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011 12:15:29 PM »

I, NotKnit, am committed to making a "Year of Homemade Gifts" from september 1, 2011 to september 1, 2012 with the following conditions: that if I am unable to make a gift for a person or occasion that it may be handmade by somebody else, be either secondhand and gently loved, or seriously discounted as to remain frugally responsible, or come from my gift closet. I also commit to sharing my successes and failures with the Year of Homemade Gifts Craft-a-long on craftster.

I think handmade gifts show you actually know something about the recipient and are much more fun than gift cards (which is what nearly all my in-laws give out). Also, we just had our second kid in April and we're broke Smiley Plus you get to craft stuff that may be fun but not necessarily something that you'd want to keep for yourself because of style or whatever.

Soon I will have to decide what to make for my niece who turns 3 years old in October and then it will be the mad-craft dash to December that is my son's birthday (turning 4), Christmas and Hannukah. There are a few other adult birthdays in there but we tend not to give birthday gifts to anyone over 18 except spouses 'cause it can be just too much.

Right now I'm working on swap stuff and also making tons of resin bobby pins and accessories (with stash supplies) I'm thinking of selling around the holidays.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Transform Your Old T-Shirt Into a Sexy, On-Trend Tank
The Right Way to Wash Your Swimsuit
Blake Lively Takes It Turbo in Sexy Burberry
Ways To Wear Sporty Chic Shirts
Hermes Opens Two More Factories For High Demand Products
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...