A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Year of Homemade Gifts! - 2011-2012 - Are YOU in?  (Read 80885 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

infinitelyjen

Dynamite comes in small packages.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011 04:54:21 PM »

I'm definitely in! I think that this will be a good plan for me, starting my first year of college, so that I will feel compelled to make things for friends that they'll appreciate AND save up money for school AND force myself to take a break from studying every now and then.

Also, I know that mix tapes aren't exactly handmade, but if I decorate the CD case reeeaaally pretty with clay or something does that count?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."
J_Kieviet
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011 10:03:18 PM »

i, j_KIEVIET, am committed to making a "Year of Homemade Gifts" from september 1, 2011 to september 1, 2012 with the following conditions: that if I am unable to make a gift for a person or occasion that it may be handmade by somebody else, be either secondhand and gently loved, or seriously discounted as to remain frugally responsible, or come from my gift closet. I also commit to sharing my successes and failures with the Year of Homemade Gifts Craft-a-long on craftster.

I will get a list of presents I have and presents I plan to make later this week,
August -> no birthdays
September
->Mom and Dad's anniversary: dinner, centerpiece, table cloth and placemats
->Dad's birthday: toque - not gonna be cheap, but he's worth it {I still live at home for free}
October
->Brother's birthday: camping snacks {or moose mitts if I can find somebody to make some}
->My birthday: at home spa
->Thanksgiving: pins or magnets for friends, decor
->Halloween: pins or magnets for friends, decore, outfits for nieces, paper doll kits for nieces
November -> no holidays
December
Grandma-> knitting kit
Grandpa->hankerchiefs
Mom->placemats
Dad->Huh
Brother->Huh
Sister in law->jammies and slippers - bought for twelve dollars
Niece one-> 8 mini princess dolls and a doll camping set, dress, jammies
Niece two-> angelz forever set, perhaps I'll make some outfits, dress, jammies
Niece three->bedroom set, taggy block or bear, dress, jammies

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011 09:20:42 PM by J_Kieviet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
Acherontia Aether

Morbid butterfly

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011 04:00:37 AM »

I'm already doing this too, my mother-in-law loved her mousey doorstop. There is one person that I really dont think will want something handmade so unless I have a genius idea they wont get something made. Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy.com/nz/shop/TriskeleCrafts

facebook.com/TriskeleNZ
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011 11:30:00 AM »

YAY! I'm so glad so many of you have joined us already!

I definitely am going to sit down and make a list/plan for beginning in September to get me through my YOHG. I am a planner by nature, I'll admit, but I think that for things like this it's good to sit and plan ahead, that way if I have someone who's birthday is in July and someone in August, but the thing I'm crafting for the August birthday takes longer, then I can start that one first.

Does anyone have a foolproof way of estimating time on projects? I find that's usually my biggest issue - the whole "Oh I can make that in a week" thing that turns into a month, or two (gah!). Like the t-shirt quilt I made for my bil this year... yikes! I kept saying to myself, all I have to do is cut out the t-shirts and sew them together. Then it was, all I have to do is sew these rows together. All I have to do is sew the backing together. All I have to do is quilt the front and back. All I have to do... all I have to do... argh. (It DID get done on time though... unlike my sister's skirts... still unfinished. I'm hoping to have them to her before the 1 month post her birthday flies by... guess what I'M doing next week?!)

And then there's Christmas. Not even joking, I'm making my hubby take 3 days holidays in August so I can put everything up I need to in those 3 days (It's a 3 day marathon of jams, sauces, pickles, jellies, compotes and more! Yikes!)... but I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old... and canning with them in the kitchen is so NOT an option.

Anywho - I'm excited that we have so many so far and I'm sure that this group is going to be a source of encouragement and (I hope!) ideas throughout this whole craft-a-long!

Thanks for being here!
Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
infinitelyjen

Dynamite comes in small packages.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011 12:44:10 PM »

Does anyone have a foolproof way of estimating time on projects? I find that's usually my biggest issue - the whole "Oh I can make that in a week" thing that turns into a month, or two (gah!). Like the t-shirt quilt I made for my bil this year... yikes! I kept saying to myself, all I have to do is cut out the t-shirts and sew them together. Then it was, all I have to do is sew these rows together. All I have to do is sew the backing together. All I have to do is quilt the front and back. All I have to do... all I have to do... argh. (It DID get done on time though... unlike my sister's skirts... still unfinished. I'm hoping to have them to her b
When I'm trying to set a schedule for a project (and keep it!) I find that it's usually helpful to set small milestones. When I'm making an amigurumi, for example, I set a day that I want to have the body made by, and the head, the limbs, then final assembly, et cetera. So for something like your quilt, set a date for each row to be sewn and then dates for sewing them together. It helps you to realize that when all of the little parts take three days to make... you're just not finishing that project in a week.

As for actually SETTING the schedule, whenever I get started on something I time how long it takes me to do the first bit, then use that to gauge how long the rest will take; so for the quilt you could just time how long it takes to sew the first row and then use that to make a reasonable estimate of time.

And you definitely want to set a loose schedule with a lot of flexibility--if you think that something will take you six days, give yourself seven or eight. That way if something unexpected comes up or if it takes more time than you thought you don't fall behind. And if it DOESN'T take that much time, you get everything done ahead of schedule, which is a pretty good feeling Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be."
pincushion_queen

old fashioned, but fashionable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011 05:26:41 PM »

I, pincushion_queen, am committed to making a "Year of Homemade Gifts" from September 1, 2011 to September 1, 2012 with the following conditions: I will be printing photos (i love scrap booking) but I will do it as cheaply as possible, that I may occasionally pick up treasures which are secondhand and gently loved, or seriously discounted as to remain frugally responsible. I also commit to sharing my successes and failures with the Year of Homemade Gifts Craft-a-long on Craftster.

This is an excellent idea! My bf and I were already planning something along these lines for christmas as we're about to go traveling for three months and when we return we'll have no money, no jobs.... but I love giving presents too much to just opt-out for a year Grin Christmas, birthdays and just because. I recently made freezer paper t-shirts for my best friend and bf to wear to harry potter and they worked so well! I can see a few people ending up with upcycled clothes this year...

Would it be OK to post links to tutorials etc?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011 06:03:43 PM »

So glad you're joining us pincushion_queen!

Our original decision to go to homemade Christmas and then YOHG also partially came out of a financial position... not that I think that handmade gifts are only for the frugal... quite the opposite - sometimes a handmade gift can cost much much more than a purchased one... but the reality of it was, we'd keep buying things that noone really wanted or definitely no one really needed and when we'd ask they'd say "Well... I don't really know what I want... but you're still going to make me pickles right?" and I was thinking... well, why are we bothering with anything else, so we started doing homemade Christmas - pickles, jam, mittens, etc... and then it sort of snowballed (ha ha) from there! We figured that if they really just wanted jam and pickles then that's what they'd get!

As to your question, pincushion_queen - I don't know how everyone else feels, but I would LOVE if people would post tutorials! I love learning new crafts, and I don't know how many people here don't love it... so go for it!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

Hermetus
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011 01:16:19 AM »

I, Hermetus, am committed to making a "Year of Homemade Gifts" from September 1, 2011 to September 1, 2012 with the following conditions: that if I am unable to make a gift for a person or occasion that it may be handmade by somebody else, either secondhand and gently loved, seriously discounted as to remain frugally responsible OR a storebought but spot-on-gift for the receiver - no compromises! I also commit to sharing my successes and failures with the Year of Homemade Gifts Craft-a-long on Craftster.

I'm going to join and take on this challenge! Personally I have a bad habit of settling for storebought gifts that are "just okay", which I hope I can make an end to with this craftalong. Smiley If I'm going to buy it from the store it has to be THE perfect gift - NO compromises this year.

So far I've been thinking of making jewelry, a painting or two, something knit and even some small woodworks. And of course baked goods are on the list. Cheesy I'll be crafting for Christmas as well as the occasional birthdays (right now my mind is on my mother's and father's birthdays, coming on October and November. It's still quite a long time before them, but I know from experience that they'll surprise me Tongue )

I'm looking forward to this craftalong, hopefully it's going to be very inspiring! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhiteSheep
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011 10:25:30 AM »

Hey,

Would it be possible for me to join? I love the whole idea of this and have been trying (since i started to craft) to successfully/unsuccessful (depending on how you look at it) to craft everyone something for the occasion which turns up. It's the main reason i learned how to do a wide range of crafts though my main focus is on any craft involving wool from spinning to knitting to felting and main crafts which use fabric as a base Smiley

Im also trying to get as self sufficent as possible, and when me and my other half manage to get our own house i want to be around 80% self sufficent so this will be really good for me. Dont think ive got anything before christmas but will go and write a list now Smiley

Nessy x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://agreenmess.wordpress.com/ - My little world

I Love doing swaps!
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011 03:09:05 PM »

WhiteSheep - Anyone can join in! So you're definitely welcome!

So everyone - I'm thinking that in preparation for September 1 (the official "start date" although many of us are already in a year, but let's all commit at least for Sept 2011 to Sept 2012) perhaps we should all post what our project list will be. That way we can keep up with each other and encourage as well!

What do you think?

For example (although my list may well change by Sept 1) I would say
Project list installment 1
September:
Finish Jams, Jellies, Pickles for Christmas
Necklace for Mother-in-law's birthday
Work on completing Kid's Christmas Gifts
October:
Dress for gift-giving Cranberry sauce and mint jelly for Thanksgiving dinners
Complete Hallowe'en costumes
Try to complete hubby's Christmas Gift
November:
Complete small craft gifts for Christmas Stockings
Complete all crafting donations for Church Christmas Bazaar

And so on.

That way if someone notices that by the middle of September I haven't posted anything here about my mil's birthday gift you can be like "Hey, Teamama! How's that necklace going for your MIL?" and I'll be "Eeep! THANKS FOR REMINDING ME! I LOVE THIS BOARD" or something equally awesome. Smiley
We could do them 1 month at a time for ease.

thoughts?
Tea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Hayden Panettiere’s Sun-Kissed Glow from Her Glamour Cover
See Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transform Into Hayden Panettiere
Best Foundation for Olive Skin
Tyra Banks: Beauty In The Future Will Mean Looking Different
Dry Brush Your Cellulite, Does It Work?
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...