A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,885
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Hit the Mother Load...What to do with a ton of fabric????  (Read 2383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pjhamel
« on: July 28, 2011 04:53:05 PM »

I was randomly browsing craigslist yesterday searching for some scrap lumber in the free section, when I came across an ad for free fabric. A local interior design company is revamping their stock room and trying to get rid of all of the fabric samples and remnants that they have. Never one to pass up a bargain, I emailed the lady and scheduled to come pick it up.
So today I arrived at the design company expecting one box of fabric. Instead I got six. This is what my living room floor has looked like for the past three hours while I've tried to sort through the mass of fabric:

Yes, that is even a stack of leather in the right corner.
There is so much fabric here that I don't know what to do with it. I like to make fabric flowers and little purses and such, so I am definitely going to keep a whole bunch of this fabric for that, but what am I supposed to do with the stuff that I have no use for?

Here is a close up of part of the pile (you can really see the great mixture of texture and color in the selection):

So, any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
yzag
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011 05:01:46 PM »

I got the same stuff and we made 2 quilts out of them. Yes they are heavy! but so nice. I will try and post a picture here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mai Britt

"leave me alone - I'm making me rum and noodles"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011 05:18:22 PM »

Beautifully dresses!
I am thinking that it can be used for theater dresses and historical dresses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011 05:26:47 PM »

patchwork upholstery?  i know i don't have the ability to do such a thing, but i can see it in my head and it is gorgeous!

i also imagine a bunch of tiny prim plushie monsters, like steampunk monsters.

they would also make fabulous flower brooches.

i have a similar stockpile of commercial grade wallpaper that i am waiting for the perfect ideas for. 

if you need help finding a home for any of that you just let me know Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.com
pjhamel
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011 08:08:41 PM »

I am definitely going to be making some flower brooches, probably a few purses and pillows as well.

I managed to sort through the boxes this evening; I am keeping four small boxes full (a miracle, for me, that there are only four), and I filled a large box and a medium sized box with the pieces that I am not going to keep. So now what to do with them?Huh

I've seen fabric sold on Etsy and Ebay. Do you think that anybody would buy this fabric?

I am making the brooches, purses, etc... and selling them as a way to help pay for my tuition (which was raised. again), and to be honest, any extra money would help. Do you think that the fabric would sell? If so, how should I price it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
whatthepuck
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011 08:18:32 PM »

Wow! That's a lot fabric. I think it would sell either by itself or a mixed lot. Look around on Ebay and see what similar fabrics are selling. I learned the hard way the fabric can get pricey to ship so make sure you charge enough for shipping. You could make things from the fabric and sell them on Etsy. I bet you could make some awesome purss/bags with those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Swaps:
Fall/Character Ninni
Oct ATC
Secret Santa
4x6 Art

Anyone interested in a Secret Santa Swap
tiffi_333
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011 08:21:45 PM »

if you dont want to worry about shipping you could post it for sale on a site like craigslist for pickup only as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjhamel
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011 08:30:31 PM »

I was just thinking of getting some of those flat rate shipping boxes. I could probably fill 10 of the smaller ones with similar colors in each box, then sell the boxes full of fabric. That way the shipping wasn't too much, and the buyers would get a good deal. For the leather, I am thinking of breaking it up into a few different lots and filling flat rate envelopes instead of boxes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Anenome
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011 11:15:14 AM »

Local day centres for the elderly or for people with learning disabilities would like them for crafts....or maybe a school?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MezzanineSoprano
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011 05:09:10 PM »

If you need to make money from the excess, try ebay or CL and package it in bundles by color & style.  You might want to investigate how much you can ship in a package for a reasonable cost.

You could also make up & sell fabric flower brooch or hair ornament kits, etc. with instructions & pattern as long as you use your own original designs.  Those might be good to sell on etsy.

If you need to get rid of some of it, you should have no trouble finding a charity with craft programs for disadvantaged kids, or the elderly or developmentally disabled, that would be happy to take it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011 09:27:26 PM »

Pillows? quilt? purses?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
sprinklez
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011 02:45:41 PM »

I'm not sure if there's an offer what you have swap going on right now, but if there is, this would be a perfect thing to swap. You could group them into a few pieces per item and get a ton of things you need in return!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011 06:15:45 AM »

I'm suffering from fabric envy now, though it's ridiculous as I've got a similar stash Smiley I work for a mattress and furniture store, and was given boxes and boxes of  outdated swatches and even now, every time they update their fabric list, I get another bag or two.

I donated a bunch on freecycle. Loaded up a woman's minivan and she donated it to her son's school's art department. I know one lady that makes purses to sell with the scraps. Another couple of ladies take 2 squares of fabric (as-is), sews them together, adds handles (made from a 3rd swatch), and donates them to a church to sell in fundraisers. They made one for me as a "thank you" for all the fabric I gave them. I'll see if I can get a picture up later. Then there's the quilt idea... though I've heard a lot of quilters won't touch this stuff, but if nothing else it's great for art quilts, wall hangings, etc.

Mostly what I do with mine is look at it. And pet it. And every few months weed out more that I think I'll probably, realistically, not use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
texscrapper
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011 07:39:15 PM »

You could also make zippered pouches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for personal swaps! Longing for a "Muffin Man" type poppet for
my son.

2014 Crafts
50 Projects in 2014 - 15/50
De-stash Projects Completed - 25

Total Projects in 2014: 40
Swap Packages Sent: 14
Caitydid
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011 04:38:03 PM »

I have TONS of this fabric as well. My Grandmother gets it for me Smiley So far I've made owl plushies, zippered pouches and pillows. I'd love to hear others suggestions as well! I think that this thick fabric would make beautiful purses...I have yet to try to make one. The prettier prints look amazing framed in embroidery hoops for a hoop wall, I'm working on some for above my bed Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReDesigns By D
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011 11:04:08 PM »

Try trading for finished items/other supplies?  Some one already mention etsy, but that is a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why recycle when you can upcycle?  Totally open to personal swaps, even if we make different stuff!
Animemom
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011 09:09:15 AM »

If I were you I'd make a crazy quilt.  I hoard my material in the hopes of one day having enough for a carzy quilt like one my grandmother made...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Raku Firing Process
How to Make a Bouquet Using a Bouquet Arranger
Learn About Floaty Pens
maya tuto - verin
ALEXANDEREPAIR
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...