A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Porcupine quill / birch bark basket weaving  (Read 1936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sithkittie
« on: July 28, 2011 10:21:25 AM »

I really have no idea where this should go... After searching for anything similar, I'm really just not sure, so I'm putting it with weaving.  I'm looking for how to make porcupine quill baskets.  I've stared at the ones my friend's mom has and they really don't look hard, it just looks like something you have to know the how-tos for and then go at it and experiment... except I've looked up making birch bark baskets, which are the inside part that I can't really see since the porcupine quills cover the outside part (and I'm not even sure what they're set into to be honest).  I've looked at a few websites for Native American crafts, and I found stuff on dying quills or weaving giant baskets... but the ones I want to make are pretty small, and when I look at the baskets shown online and the inside of these baskets, it looks like whatever technique is used is either different or it's somehow lined differently.

My friend, her mom, and I are all looking for someone who knows how to make these things.  I guess several years ago an older woman in the Leelenau Penninsula (Michigan) was advertising to teach anybody who wanted to learn, but we can't find any information on her.  For specific sites on porcupine quill baskets, I can only find ones that sell baskets, which is cool and I understand because they sell for an absolute ton, but it also means I'm pretty much at a loss on where to look.  Same with the Odawa culture center up there, they sell them, but don't have anything on how to make them, at least not that we found.  (Correct me if I'm wrong and I will totally go back!)

If anybody knows a site, a person, whatever, you will make my year!  And if I'm posting somewhere completely wrong, I'm really sorry.  Please move this post to the correct forum.

Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011 10:14:28 PM »

Porcupine quill and birch bark basket weaving.

Have you tried search the public library? There are a lot of books about that kind of weaving and if you're lucky you might find one near you to borrow.

We're talking about basket weaving program in our local weaving guild. I'll let you know what I find when I do some searches over the next couple of days.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sithkittie
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011 01:08:52 PM »

I haven't, but my friend who is also looking said she and her mom both had.  I did manage to find information though the other day!!

http://www.nativetech.org/quill/quillbark/index.html

I was looking at nativetech, because they have a lot of info, but I couldn't find this page for days.  Maybe I'm just a flake.  I had a page from them on how to dye the quills, but I completely missed this page!

http://www.nativetech.org/quill/quillbark/quillbox.html is the page on the actual boxes - I guess they're not woven.  They didn't look woven when I was looking at the ones my friend's mom has.

If you do come across anything in your searches, please, do let me know.  Thank you so much for replying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011 08:36:42 PM »

I think I found one on nativetech!

Quill plaiting
http://www.nativetech.org/quill/plait.html

And try this index on nativetech
http://www.nativetech.org/quill/index.php

Have a good day!
Franco Rios
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011 08:39:21 PM by francorios » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sithkittie
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011 07:13:47 PM »

Thanks.  I got some bark off fallen trees, now I just need quills then I can play! I'm excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Composite the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use Refine Edge Command in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Pen Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...