Waffles are good, no? This week I discovered that banana and peanut butter "ice cream" on waffles is freakin' delish. The "ice cream" is really banana soft serve. For the post that (I believe) introduced the foodie blog world to this delight, see this: http://www.choosingraw.com/this-post-will-change-your-life/
RECIPES!Whole Grain Waffles
This recipe is adapted from the Green Market Baking Book
(which I LOVE).Ingredients:
*1 cup spelt flour
*1 cup kamut flour
*2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
*1 teaspoon of baking soda
*pinch of salt
*3 eggs (beaten)
*1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
*2 cups milk with 3 tablespoons of white vinegar
*1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)Directions
1. Heat up your waffle iron.
2. Combine the milk and vinegar and let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Combine the dry ingredients, mixing well.
4. Mix together the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and milk/vinegar combo.
5. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry.
6. Whisk the batter.
7. Pour the batter onto the waffle iron and cook.
These can be wrapped individually and frozen. To reheat, just pop 'em in the toaster (that's what I did with the ones in these pictures).Peanut Butter Banana Soft-ServeIngredients:
*Two frozen bananas (peeled and cut into chunks BEFORE freezing)
*A good dollop of natural smooth peanut butter (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
*Milk as needed (I used skim)Directions:
1. Place the bananas in a food processor.
2. Turn on the food processor and let the nanners process for about 30 seconds.
3. Add in peanut butter and process (if you KNOW your machine needs milk to make this recipe work, add it now).
4. If your banana-PB mix is not all smooth and creamy, add a bit of milk and process. Add more milk is needed (I need to add about 1 tablespoon of milk in total with my machine).
5. If your mix is a bit chunky, break down the banana hunks with a knife (food processor turned OFF!) and then process some more. It should be creamy and smooth.
**Apparently, this recipe can be done without adding liquid, but my machine does not cooperate that way.
6. Top the waffles with the PB Banana Soft Serve and eat.
**You can eat it as is or top it with some chia seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, nuts, etc.
For some more chattiness and pictures, you can hop on over to the blog:http://positiveponderings.blogspot.com/2011/07/waffles-and-peanut-butter-banana-ice.html