A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you think craft challenge #1 went?  (Read 5007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2005 06:16:21 AM »

Hey all,

How do you think craft challenge #1 went?  Any suggestions for how things should be change for next time?

Leah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005 06:24:35 AM »

I've decided that next time I'm gonna have people write up their entry to specifically include answering questions like:

1. Project Title
2. What inspired you to come up with this project?
3. Brief description of how it was made
4. How long did it take?

(thanks to rickrackruby for some of these suggestions! Kiss)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

abinka
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005 06:31:32 AM »

I thought it was really cool and fun to read even though I didn't participate. I especially like that there weren't a bunch of posts saying "ooh I'm going to try this!" Instead there were just results. It's a really good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005 06:37:20 AM »

I thought it was really cool and fun to read even though I didn't participate. I especially like that there weren't a bunch of posts saying "ooh I'm going to try this!" Instead there were just results. It's a really good idea.

Yeah, it was indeed handy to look at a clean thread with just pictures in it.  The reason why there were no comments/questions interspersed is that I deleted them all when voting time came along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alicein518
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005 06:51:43 AM »

I think it was a success on a few fronts.  First, there were lots of people out there trying new things.  Second, it inspired a bunch of people (at the very least, me) to look at everyday items in a new way.  Third, it's nice to know that I can craft for cheap when I can't afford fabulous yarn or fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muchachaK
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005 08:29:00 AM »

Wish I had something more contructive to add, but I thought it was fun, that's pretty much my commentary Smiley  No wait, I also liked the removal of the comments for the isolation of the projects, very helpful...I also liked that the rules give parameters but also leave a lot of room for interpretation (as reflected in the comments for the 2nd Craft Challenge too hahaha..."can I do a..."  "does a ___ count"...  Wink ...)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
craftyfingers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005 10:26:58 AM »

I just appreciate that it got me off my craftyass. I loved the challenge - even though I didn't win - it inspired me and I'm sure many more. Thanks for coming up with this grand idea! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maps
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005 10:44:15 AM »

It was a lot of fun!  I loved the fact that the challenge got me to surprise myself, and do something I've never done before.  It was awesome checking out all the other entries, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been laid up with bronchitis for two weeks. I am catching up now. Please let me know if I have forgotten something! Sad  -4/5/11
giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005 01:11:04 PM »

I had an absolute blast, in fact went back to the Dollar tree last night to get a few things and found some of the supplies used, I bought those cute lemon and Limes dish towels.  I really thought for the first Challenge ever it all went well.  I can't wait for the 3rd challenge to be announced, as I have no vintage stores or salvation army's near by  or the time to drive an hour to go to one, I am readyf or another challenge though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
GoTo
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005 02:30:48 PM »

I think it went great--big turnout and very interesting results! 

For the next one I think that a week to submit entires would be better--I had to post my project while on a mini-vacation since I was going away for four days and the entry dates fell in the middle of them.

Mine was second to last on the list, so it was easy to find my score as the votes came in, but if I was in the middle of the list I think numbering the entries (in addition to naming them) would have helped me find my project.

I also appreciated the "entries only" area for voting, but was sad to see the other messages go.  How about one topic to submit and chat, and then copy the entries to a new thread just for the voting?

Thanks for creating the challenges and the opportunity to share my thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005 02:33:16 PM by GoTo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005 02:55:22 PM »

I LOVED the challenge. I didn't participate other than voting but I thought everything was great. I think that adding questions is a good idea. I did like leaving comments because I think its nice for people to get feedback. I think that some need to be reminded that craftster is a place for positive and constructive comments, not put downs. I liked that you removed the comments so that when it was time to vote we could see all the photos without weeding through the posts. It would be nice though if you could have two threads, the original with photo's and comments as well as a thread for photo's only for voting purposes. The first thread with photo's and comments is good so any wuestions answered about the project are available to everyone to go back to if we want to try and make it or whatever, just for reference.
I'm so happy the challenges are happening and am doing #2!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
GoTo
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005 03:42:26 PM »

I also appreciated the "entries only" area for voting, but was sad to see the other messages go.  How about one topic to submit and chat, and then copy the entries to a new thread just for the voting?

I think I just found the the pre-voting pages:
Challenge idea:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=33326.0
Challenge entry comments:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=37856.0

So I guess it would be helpful if the threads with all the comments for an accepted challenge were on the " Craft Challenges" page, so folks could find all the concept Q & A from before the challenge, and make comments after the entries were being voted on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
ladyKiwi

Comfort is as comfort does

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005 06:17:10 PM »

The only thing I think that annoyed me was that to see all the crafts I had to keep turning pages - I think that maybe a brand new voting thread would be good - but include thumbnails of the photos to aid with the voting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reality

Coastie Wife & Mother

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005 06:36:35 PM »

Really inspiring!!  I also like the added questions...some of the ideas I would like to recreate, but I would need a few pointers...Simple tutorials would be nice....especially from the winning entries!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faeriedust112088

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005 08:43:38 PM »

It's crazy that the vote was so close! Maybe only one vote per person next time? I know it is hard but still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strangey
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005 09:12:22 PM »

I loved the challenge! I even made my husband come and read through that thread -- he loved it too.

I disagree with the idea of adding tutorials. I liked the format you used, Leah -- just the entries, not lots of comments. I hope you start a clean thread for the Challenge #2 entries -- it would be crazy trying to find the entries in that already-lenghty thread.

Great idea, great entries, lotsa fun! That's my verdict, anyways LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoTo
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005 09:14:28 PM »

...write up their entry to specifically include answering questions...
(thanks to rickrackruby for some of these suggestions! Kiss)
I think the questions would be a nice touch too rickrackruby.

...include thumbnails of the photos to aid with the voting.

Oooo--that would be nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005 03:29:50 AM »

I enjoyed it very much, as a participant and a voter. I would change two things though:
1- as said earlier- shorten the time of the posting date to say, a week.
2- shorten the voting to 2-3 days and possibly make it 1 vote per person, if that were possible.
Thanks for the fun time Leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005 06:20:46 AM »

I loved it!  I can think of things that might tweek it, but I can't think of a single thing that would really make a difference in my enjoyment, because none of the tweeky things really effected things negatively.  I'm excited to see future challenges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Fonduie
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005 06:28:06 AM »

Very Fun!  I liked the fact that you cleaned up the thread too.
I also think keeping the submission period short and sweet is a good idea.  Some people mentioned that they didn't even get started on their submission until after they checked out the early submissions.  Doesn't seem fair.  Also I need instant gratification when looking as contest submissions!  I want to see them right away because everyone is so creative!  So I think sticking with short and sweet is the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My etsy Store:
fonduie.etsy.com
It's NEAT!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005 09:45:29 AM »

Hmm, that's a good point Fonduie.  Perhaps there could be a Challenge moderator that was responsible for gathering submissions via PM or email, who would then most them all at once.  The submission period could therefore be the entire month, and no one would get previews of other peoples' work.  This person would just be an assistant to our own Craftster Goddess, Leah, of course, and to be sure all submissions were posted, perhaps Leah could also get just a list of the names of those who submitted, to be sure there was no bias on the part of the mod.  (Not that I would expect that to happen, but it's always good to be sure.  I dunno, I'm not sure this is really neccessary, but it might be something to consider as things go along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005 09:50:43 AM »

I honestly don't think that it matters if you see someone elses workbefore submitting. A truly great piece is a great piece and if somone tries to replicate it its obvious.  I think a shorter time of 2-3 days to post is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005 10:43:21 AM »

Thanks for all this input!  It sounds like a few people have reiterated that they'd like a shorter period before entries are due and a shorter submission period.  So for the challenge #3, I'll cut this back.

I'm trying to work out in my mind a better way of dealing with the period where people submit their entries and others comment and ask questions.  It took me about 3 hours to whip the last challenge thread into shape for voting!  So I kinda need to make up a less time consuming system.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005 11:19:56 AM »

I loved it.  Maybe for people who aren't going to be able to post their project during the days the project is due, they could send it to a mod. who would be able to post it on time?  For people who are on vacation or out of town or for whatever reason don't have access to the computer, like someone posted earlier.   

Even if it stayed exactly the same I still love it.  It's such a good idea to have challenges, it's inspiring and it's motivating.   I didn't participate in this, I wanted to after seeing the first submissions, but I figured I would just wait for the next challenge.  It seemed very organized and I'm so glad so many people participated.   On other boards I've been in we would try to do something all together, and it was basically a jumbled mess.  This was amazing and so much fun - and I didn't even enter a project.   Grin       
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005 08:21:24 PM by Chelsea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mi.luna.azul
Raving Lunatic!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005 11:38:40 AM »

I really liked the idea of the craft challenge, even though I didn't participate. All of the participants had awesome ideas! I had to beg my mom to take me to the dollar store yesterday, and picked up some craft items of my own. I can't wait until the next challenge...I really want to participate!

I'm also glad that this challenge was under five dollars, so that everyone that participated didn't have to pay very much. I'm on a tight budget, too!

One last thing! I think it was very convenient, weeding out all of the comments, as most people have mentioned. The only problem I had, though, was that my computer was overwhelmed with the pictures! Do you think that, for posting completed projects in the challenge thread, the max. amount of pictures per person would be 2? I know that that's a lot to ask, but it's more of a suggestion than a question.

Thank you for listening! Can't wait for the next challenge to roll around...(I've got to participate, once I snag my sister's digital camera) Love, Luna.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005 11:41:07 AM by mi.luna.azul » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005 12:46:36 PM »

fwiw, there's no way i could have decided on just one project. i liked having 2 votes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005 01:22:50 PM »

fwiw, there's no way i could have decided on just one project. i liked having 2 votes.

Yeah. I think I may keep it at 2 votes because this way you can vote once for the one you really want to win and once for one you really loved but that may not win.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005 03:12:15 PM »

I didn't know we had two votes. It was really hard deciding for me too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

modgirl
Vinyl, Lipstick, & DIY

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005 08:47:23 PM »

I think it was quite successful.  All of the entries were awesome!  Cool Great job folks.

2. What inspired you to come up with this project?
3. Brief description of how it was made
! Kiss)

However, I honestly thought it was a requirement to have a tute (and list of items used) and was surprised to see that that was not the case. Huh  Otherwise, excellent job everyone, and I agree it would be great to know what was the inspiration as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew Be It

looking for a Readymade issue
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005 11:26:36 PM »

I would not participate if I had to make a tutorial. They are a lot of work and I'm not too computer saavy. I think a list of materials, source of inspiration...are good though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2005 04:13:33 AM »

Here's another idea....  When we submit a project to the challenge, let's be sure that the designer gives her project a name or a title. This seems obvious - but some of us (Yours Truly for instance) didn't specifically name our projects. Embarrassed  Then I suppose Leah sort of looked things over and invented titles for these.  Well, she has enough to do.  Let's be sure that the first thing we say is exactly what we want our project to be called.  Then the projects can be arranged in alphabetical order so that we can easily locate the ones that we are interested in.  I LOVED the challenge and i plan on trying the next one too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2005 10:19:55 AM »

Great Idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swalsh
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005 10:15:48 PM »

Then the projects can be arranged in alphabetical order so that we can easily locate the ones that we are interested in.

not so sure about the alphabetical order thing - it might end up looking like the yellow pages with everyone fighting to be on top:

AAA picture frame
AA handbag
ABC pot holder

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoTo
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005 08:08:09 PM »

not so sure about the alphabetical order thing - it might end up looking like the yellow pages with everyone fighting to be on top
Maybe, but I wouldn't bother with that myself.  If that's really a concern, how about alphabetical order by user name?  I doubt folks would go about changing their user names just to be at the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grannystylee
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2005 11:33:26 PM »

The 5 from a dollar store theme was great.  I just came across Craftster as the voting was completing.  Maybe we can repeat this theme same time next year?  (The craft challenge aniversary) for the newbies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NoSleep
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2005 10:41:12 AM »

I really liked how it was just results too, and not all the comments like "wow that's so good...", like a few people said before.

I like the alphabetical order by username idea as well, so it's more organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Improve Design School Education and Teaching
How Startups Benefit by Using Interaction Design
How Design Thinking Problem Solving Can Improve
Finding Purpose in Humanitarian Focused Design
How to Apply Design Passion in Business Career
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...