A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first foray into the world of jam making  (Read 831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faesissa
« on: July 25, 2011 10:06:47 AM »

The crab apple tree in my garden has just produced its first fruit of the season and this year, instead of having to waste it, I decided to try making crab apple jelly with it. It feels like it could be addictive to make and it would be really nice to use up all the glass jars I hoard away.

So far I've only made one 500g jar, but I really hope as my fruit trees and brambles produce fruit, I'll be able to make more jam.
I used this recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7661/crab-apple-jelly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is an artwork without an eraser.
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011 10:39:08 AM »

Yum! Smiley

Is there a taste difference between the crab apple jelly and a regular apple jelly? I've always wondered about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faesissa
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011 12:52:07 PM »

Is there a taste difference between the crab apple jelly and a regular apple jelly? I've always wondered about that.
I'm curious about that myself as I've only ever had store bought jams before and never tried any apple jelly before. I would hazard a guess that normal apple jellies are sweeter as crab apples are quite bitter and not meant for eating like normal apples, from what my mum tells me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011 02:09:11 PM »

Mmm...crabapple jelly does tend to have a tart tang to it.  Are your crabapples a golden color?  My jelly always turns out a bright ruby red, because I have dark red crabapples.  But they're so small (think cherry size) that it takes a bit of work to get a decent batch.  But my husband loves it even though, before, he said that a crabapple tree wasn't worth anything.  And strangely, my little boy used to eat the crabapples straight off the tree!  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011 02:09:46 PM by dulcet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011 04:27:03 PM »

When I was little I used to eat crabapples too. Kids have an amazing tolerance for sourness!

The difference between apple and crabapple jelly is fairly subtle. Even though they're super-sour when raw, you have to add so much sugar to make the jelly that it comes out fairly similar to apple.

I was just making wild raspberry jelly this weekend and I would have loved some crabapples to put in it. They have so much pectin, and would have given a nice translucency to the jelly. I love the golden colour of yours, by the way. I remember it being slightly pink too, so the different varieties must give different colours.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faesissa
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011 02:08:23 AM »

This batch of the crab apples were a green and ruby red mixture. They tend to develop to be ruby red in my experience the longer they are on the tree. My crab apples are slightly bigger than yours dulcet, nearly the size of my palm but quite short.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011 06:01:23 AM »

Mmm!  That looks delicious.  I used to eat crabapples when I was a kid too.  They grew wild in an abandoned orchard down the street from us. 

Jam making is kind of addictive.  I made strawberry rhubarb jam a few weeks ago and have since made another batch and have plans for two more.  They make great Christmas presents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"Fashion Star" Winner Kara Laricks
How to Get Your Own Rolling Stones Look
Diane Kruger Wows in White 3 Times at Cannes
Olivia Palermo Elevates Her Stripes with a Short Suit
How to Get a Cleavage Like Lea Michele
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...